Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Top universities. (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL & the likes) career prospects. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Would you support the generalisation that after graduating with atleast a 2:i from a top 5, maybe a top 10 university, you're pretty much guaranteed to get a good job/career?

(P.s. I have no idea or opinion on this as of yet)

ReputationRep:
    Not really, friend's brother who graduated from Edinburgh (which is still an excellent uni) beat Oxbridge and LSE grads to an investment banking spot so... I wouldn't say guaranteed but probably a slight edge.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it helps a lot, but you certainly aren't garunteed

ReputationRep:
    Not at all.

Employers look at FAR more than where you went to university. Of course, it helps a great deal but it's nowhere near a guarantee. Good jobs these days get hundreds of applications, and thousands of people graduate every year with 2.1s from top universities. It's not like an employer is going to go 'Oooh!! This Jakko247 has a 2.1 from a good university, let's give the job to him instead one of the 100 others who have the same thing'. You have to distinguish yourself somehow.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say nothing in life is guaranteed.

ReputationRep:
    Not 100% guaranteed but it'd be very hard to find an employer that wouldn't be impressed and inclined to offer a job to a graduate from those unis.

For many fields, particularly finance, law etc the name of the university can be the most important component. There are many firms in the cities that specifically target graduates of these unis, so a 2:1 from a top 5/top 10 definately enhances your credentials for a career...but if you're a bookworm and know nothing of applying your skills in the real world, as an individual you may fail to get the job - as can be the case for many graduates from top unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    Not really, friend's brother who graduated from Edinburgh (which is still an excellent uni) beat Oxbridge and LSE grads to an investment banking spot so... I wouldn't say guaranteed but probably a slight edge.
    I met someone who got a 2.2 from Nottingham who got an investment banking job. Hmmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Not at all.

Employers look at FAR more than where you went to university. Of course, it helps a great deal but it's nowhere near a guarantee. Good jobs these days get hundreds of applications, and thousands of people graduate every year with 2.1s from top universities. It's not like an employer is going to go 'Oooh!! This Jakko247 has a 2.1 from a good university, let's give the job to him instead one of the 100 others who have the same thing'. You have to distinguish yourself somehow.
    :rofl:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes a degree from a top uni will get you a job, why even stop there i't'll get you an Investment banking job with a starting salary of 100K.

ReputationRep:
    it'll help. might even get you the job if your employer is narrow-minded.

its not complicated, qualifications and such give you opportunities. the better the uni, etc... the better the opportunities.

but thats all they are, opportunities. you still have to take them, and then do well at your job, if you want to get anywhere.

being a nerdlinger at imperial or whatever may get you a job, but you wont get a better job without all the other skills the job requires.

similarly, you may have to start "lower down", but you could work your way up any company in most fields without any qualifications, provided you are good enough and work hard enough. it just may take a bit longer and a bit more work.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.