Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thoughts on cardio during a bulk watch

• View Poll Results: Cardio on a bulk?
    Yay?
    75.00%
    Nay?
    25.00%

ReputationRep:
    Is cardio worth it during a bulk? I have always wondered as my main aims on a bulk are obviously to gain mass and strength and i sometimes wonder whether there is any point doing cardio on a bulk as i am not bothered by fat gain but i would like to improve my cardiovascular fitness. So do you think swimming at a slow pace for 1 hour 2 x a week would hinder gains? How many of you do cardio on a bulk and are your reasons to keep fat gains minimal? or just to keep your fitness levels up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellingham)
    Is cardio worth it during a bulk? I have always wondered as my main aims on a bulk are obviously to gain mass and strength and i sometimes wonder whether there is any point doing cardio on a bulk as i am not bothered by fat gain but i would like to improve my cardiovascular fitness. So do you think swimming at a slow pace for 1 hour 2 x a week would hinder gains? How many of you do cardio on a bulk and are your reasons to keep fat gains minimal? or just to keep your fitness levels up?
    I did HIIT three times a week, played football twice, seven a side maybe three or four times and managed to put on plenty of weight. Interval training is GOOD for muscle.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know about others.. but i focus at one area per day.Say biceps/triceps on monday, next day chest and so on...LOL for me simply the thought of gaining a pound somehow makes me lose it in no time.To gain muscle mass from my own experience do heavy weights thats how i was able to gain.
    Edit: Right before jan. exams i used to do 10 sets of each 10 reps a day <_< but now i barely do half .

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the point tbh. Unless you're needing to keep fitness and conditioning up really high for sports or something. Otherwise it's just wasted calories and recovery. If you're simply trying to pack on size and/or strength, don't bother. Intense lifting will maintain some conditioning (a little). But then that is relative too, since the added weight will make running around harder anyway.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Heart's a muscle too - gotta keep it healthy.

ReputationRep:
    I only do cardio for warming up and I'm aiming to bulk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    I dont know about others.. but i focus at one area per day.Say biceps/triceps on monday, next day chest and so on...LOL for me simply the thought of gaining a pound somehow makes me lose it in no time.To gain muscle mass from my own experience do heavy weights thats how i was able to gain.
    Edit: Right before jan. exams i used to do 10 sets of each 10 reps a day <_< but now i barely do half .
    Sorry but what are you talking about? I asked if cardio was worth it during a bulk not how to get big, your post makes no sense in relation to my question. Even if it did you used to do 10 sets of 10 reps, anything you have to say is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I don't see the point tbh. Unless you're needing to keep fitness and conditioning up really high for sports or something. Otherwise it's just wasted calories and recovery. If you're simply trying to pack on size and/or strength, don't bother. Intense lifting will maintain some conditioning (a little). But then that is relative too, since the added weight will make running around harder anyway.
    This was along my lines of thought, i'll just step up the cardio when i cut so i can prepare for next seasons football.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.