Turn on thread page Beta

Mayfair rave party in £10million squat broken up by riot police watch

ReputationRep:
    Just read about this in the Evening Standard on my way home. Here's the link, unfortunately without most of the pictures from the original article in the paper:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...d-10m-house.do

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Some of my mates went to this/''live'' there. :facepalm2:

They were not in school today :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with holding a rave there - that seemed to ruin it.

However, dozens of houses in London, many of them beautiful and in need of constant care, are owned by hedge funds, property portfolio companies and the global elite who never actually use them. Given the housing shortage and the astronomical cost of housing in the capital, it really couldn't hurt to release more on to the market. IMHO, in certain areas like central London, if property is left vacant by owners for over a year without any residents who could be accurately described as permanent, it should be subject to a compulsory purchase order and put on sale again.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I was there.

ReputationRep:
    omg i wish i went

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    I disagree with holding a rave there - that seemed to ruin it.

However, dozens of houses in London, many of them beautiful and in need of constant care, are owned by hedge funds, property portfolio companies and the global elite who never actually use them. Given the housing shortage and the astronomical cost of housing in the capital, it really couldn't hurt to release more on to the market. IMHO, in certain areas like central London, if property is left vacant by owners for over a year without any residents who could be accurately described as permanent, it should be subject to a compulsory purchase order and put on sale again.
    I think this should hold true everywhere, with some kind of significant council tax on any property designated as a holiday home. Houses are for living in, not to be kept as investments. Any home that is not lived in should be subject to a severe capital gains tax upon it's sale to reflect the social harm done by empty houses.

ReputationRep:
    Another tweeter, Fiona Hicks, said: “new york fashion week [sic] can stick it, i'm on top of a £30,000,000 park lane mansion squat party doing lines off the roof.”

haha baited

She better pray that her folks don't read the Evening Standard.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds fun, when's the next one? I would definitely have a 'driver' waiting around the corner though, don't wanna get caught. lol.

ReputationRep:
    They're rebelling against the government by destroying private property.
    Come again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwentyTen)
    Another tweeter, Fiona Hicks, said: “new york fashion week [sic] can stick it, i'm on top of a £30,000,000 park lane mansion squat party doing lines off the roof.”

haha baited

She better pray that her folks don't read the Evening Standard.
    I was thinking that. Plus the guy who 'organised' it. Think he might get a talking to from the police, as well as his parents.

ReputationRep:
    ****, i wish i'd gone.

ReputationRep:
    Did the organiser of that party go straight to jail, not pass Go, and not collect £200? :awesome: :getmecoat:

On a serious note, that article is just begging for concerned adults to have a moan about the youth of today. Not all teenagers take drugs, invade empty houses and spray graffiti, believe it or not :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    A massive bunch of people from my school sixth form went. Still haven't seen them...

ReputationRep:
    Grrr, I ain't going to comment further than I hate popo.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: Sounds wicked.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds class, which I went

ReputationRep:
    sounds fun :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    sounds rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds epic, if you're a puerile chav.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.