Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A friend of mine kissed my cheek when saying hello having forgotten she had a cold sore, and she is concerned she might have passed it on to me, is this likely?

I didn't think I could catch one just from kissing on the skin, but I wanted to check.

She said afterwards she is not sure that it was still infectious, it had scabbed over and she had completed her 5 day course of antibiotics.

As cold sores are caused by a herpes virus, i doubt the antibiotics would have helped.

I think the virus needs a wet opening on the body in order to operate. Thats why most instances are on the mouth or genitals.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Well if you have a cold sore and kiss a newborn baby you could kill it, so I think they can be passed quite easily (i remember reading the second story I've posted here last year when I was pregnant and my heart just broke for the family involved.)

but yes, like kink says, some sort of opening is probably the easiest way to transfer them, but I doubt that's the only way.

Of course you're not a newborn baby so your defences against a cold sore are going to be much greater I should imagine, especially if you've had them before.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.