Turn on thread page Beta

going out in the us and being under 21 watch

ReputationRep:
    I have looked at other threads about this but haven't really found an answer. I am planning to go to the us for summer for summer camp and am going to travel after but what is the rule about going out in the us and being under 21? because i've been told by people who have actually been and have been underage that you can go clubbing at 18 but have to have a wrist band/ stamp on your hand but are these clubs the exception or would it generally be easy to find a club like this. Also how easy is it to get into a club when you are underage and say you look mature? I've heard that entry is quite strict in the us but it's easier to get in if you're female or whatever. I'm going to be 20 when I go and not far off 21 (3 months off which sucks lol)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yea you can get into clubs but like you said they'll stamp you. Alot of them check I.D.'s you won't be able to drink unless you can get a fake I.D. or find a club that doesn't check for 21... which is very few and far between

ReputationRep:
    ive been to the US a total of 6 times now (currently 19) and the only time I've been able to get served was when i went last summer. Even this was just in a regular bar and more than likely as me and a friend were chatting to the female staff alot. Many places in the US wont allow you in anywhere that serves alcohol without ID. I was even refused entry once to a restaurant with my parents as I wasn't 21. Totally depends on state law though and the type of place you are going

ReputationRep:
    I went to America as a football coach in 2008, and was 20 year old for the best part of it, I went to New England area, and had no chance of getting served alcohol or getting in bars any where, its very rare you will find one of them type of clubs where under 21s can do in.
    If I was you I would leave it till next year if you are keen on going out like I was, I would of enjoyed it 10x as much if I was 21.
    Also they only took passports as ID where I was, so fake ID wasnt any good either.
    There so strict its untrue, in the New England area any way.

ReputationRep:
    Don't get your hopes up. I was in the US for six weeks, out in bars, clubs & pubs at least once a day, and got ID'ed every time but one, in a restaurant. I saw people that were clearly late thirties getting ID'ed. I didn't come across any clubs where you get your hand stamped. I'd say if you go, just keep an ear out for house parties and the like because not only will they be more fun than clubs, you'll also be able to drink alcohol at them...

ReputationRep:
    I been to New York City 3 times now, first time when I was 17 - I went out with my cousins, but because I looked really young it was pretty tricky getting booze at bars etc and really hard to get into clubs.

When I recently went last summer, I was 19 and looked alot older, my cousins got me a fake ID and managed to go out non stop in New York City to clubs and bars, was awesome lol. But one place they just some how worked out I was under 21 when I was in the club trying to get a drink, I almost got arrested, so be careful.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.