Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Packed full of a lot of stuff, maybe two bills would have been better with one regarding the Queen and one regarding the House of Lords?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    Have you ever seen the royal family tree? Prince Philip is Greek for a freakin start.
    There is nothing more patriotic than to have one's country ruled by its own people.
    Xenaphobic. Perhaps you should start a TSR BNP. HRH The Duke of Edinburgh may be a Greek by birth but he's more British than half the people in this country. You might also like to note that the monarch is a ture brit.

ReputationRep:
    It practically gets rid of the monarchy - oh sorry it does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Packed full of a lot of stuff, maybe two bills would have been better with one regarding the Queen and one regarding the House of Lords?
    Hmm I think that the two things must be done simultaneously as the bill is working against the hereditary principle. Thanks for the feedback though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    Xenaphobic. Perhaps you should start a TSR BNP. HRH The Duke of Edinburgh may be a Greek by birth but he's more British than half the people in this country. You might also like to note that the monarch is a ture brit.
    Haha pulling the race card are we? How about the Nazi King Edward VIII? Does he make you proud? The fact is you don't have any real argument against this bill other than a knee jerk reaction, some people might but I suspect that you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afcwimbledon2)
    So? What's so great about the monarchy? Which do you prefer, democracy or a hereditary leader?

ReputationRep:
    Haha pulling the race card are we? How about the Nazi King Edward VIII? Does he make you proud? The fact is you don't have any real argument against this bill other than a knee jerk reaction, some people might but I suspect that you don't.
    I have plenty of arguments against this bill. Firstly, why is there no referendum?

As for Edward VIII, that moron stepped down. His father never wanted him to be King either. But that doesn't address my point you are having a go at Phillip because he is Greek.

ReputationRep:
    I have plenty of arguments against this bill. Firstly, why is there no referendum?

As for Edward VIII, that moron stepped down. His father never wanted him to be King either. But that doesn't address my point you are having a go at Phillip because he is Greek.
    That is the problem with the monarchy though - you get morons by default.

I was simply pointing out the irony in feigning some kind of weird patriotism about the monarchy when they are in actual fact not even British.

There is no referendum (good point) because this is only a model HoC. For that reason we basically just have to debate bills, the pros and cons etc. We can't hold a referendum for obvious reasons. In fact calling for a referendum on the subject in this HoC is no more than a diversion from the real arguments.

ReputationRep:
    Well said. Besides, I like the fact that we are fairly unique by still having a monarch and an uncodified constitution.

I agree with the idea of the codified constitution, would make things a lot easier, the only bit I don't agree with is removing the Royal Family.

As to the response to my earlier post, in my general experience, when most people think of Britain (and I'm mainly talking about people living in other countries), one of the first things that comes to mind is the Royal Family. Plus, it (the Royal Family I mean) is one of the main attractions for tourists, as far as I am aware.

Besides, who wants to be like the French etc anyway? (joke)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I think that the two things must be done simultaneously as the bill is working against the hereditary principle. Thanks for the feedback though!
    They don't have to. The House of Lords could be elected followed by dethroning the Queen.

ReputationRep:
    That is the problem with the monarchy though - you get morons by default.

I was simply pointing out the irony in feigning some kind of weird patriotism about the monarchy when they are in actual fact not even British.

There is no referendum (good point) because this is only a model HoC. For that reason we basically just have to debate bills, the pros and cons etc. We can't hold a referendum for obvious reasons. In fact calling for a referendum on the subject in this HoC is no more than a diversion from the real arguments.
    I'd rather have morons like George VI and Elizabeth II rather than President Blair or Brown.

Well I am sorry, but just because they've got German blood doesn't make them not British. What you are essentially saying is that you wouldn't want a black man to be President.

You can put a referendum in either to done in real life (theoretical) or actual on TSR. Either way, us patriots would win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HpFreak_Amy7192)
    Well said. Besides, I like the fact that we are fairly unique by still having a monarch and an uncodified constitution.

I agree with the idea of the codified constitution, would make things a lot easier, the only bit I don't agree with is removing the Royal Family.

As to the response to my earlier post, in my general experience, when most people think of Britain (and I'm mainly talking about people living in other countries), one of the first things that comes to mind is the Royal Family. Plus, it (the Royal Family I mean) is one of the main attractions for tourists, as far as I am aware.

Besides, who wants to be like the French etc anyway? (joke)
    Ok cool, but basically I think the true value of British politics lies with the Westminster system. It was the first of its kind and I really like it, which is why I haven't created a republic in the same was as France is, and we would not have a President. Instead we would have a Commonwealth of Britian (which I quite like).

Now, in terms of tourism.

This always seems to be the most popular argument for a pro-monarchist. And, although I think that holding back on principle purely for the sake of American cash is basically wrong (and really quite un-patriotic), I’ll answer reasonably because we are after all supposed to be dealing with the real world here, and of course tourism is a major part of the British economy.
    Basically I don’t think that this would do much damage to the British tourist industry at all. People come to visit the wonderful palaces, the tower of London etc because (a) they look nice and (b) they have a great history. (I don’t know if you have visited Buckingham Palace, but everyone enjoys the finery and then go a bit glaze-eyed when anyone tries to talk about the Queen’s latest visit to Fiji...). These attributes don’t disappear if we remove the royal family from office, and so I’m unsure that it will have any effect at all. In fact tourism may even be boosted (although this would be scrapping the barrel a bit) because the government would have even more chance to use these palaces for tourism-orientated functions – there are no corgis or pesky princes to be dealing with

A couple of articles you may find interesting:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/98980.stm -- slightly outdated but I think this sort of thing remains relatively constant. Interestingly of the top ten tourist attractions in Britain there are no royal ones.

• Madame Tussaud's, London - 2,798,801
    • Alton Towers, Staffordshire - 2,701,945
    • Tower of London - 2,615170
    • Natural History Museum, London - 1,793,400
    • Chessington World of Adventure, Surrey - 1,750,000
    • Canterbury Cathedral - 1,613,000
    • Science Museum, London- 1,537,151
    • Legoland, Windsor- 1,297,818
    • Edinburgh Castle - 1,238,140
    • Blackpool Tower -1,200,000

This article confirms it. I've done my research

ReputationRep:
    So? What's so great about the monarchy? Which do you prefer, democracy or a hereditary leader?
    First of all - you're coming across very xenophobic in some of your other posts.
    2nd - Whats great about a monarchy - the fact you have something to be proud of despite the one eyed scottish idiot that we have as a Prime Minister. I feel that with the monarchy we have achieved something.
    3rd - We have a democratic leader and hereditary leader.
    Albeit the monarchy doesn't have any power thanks to the current democratic leaders of this nation, so their not real leaders at the moment - other than bringing up the morality of the country - blighty's spirit needs a top up occasionally you know, and the queen/king gives it :yes:

ReputationRep:
    God Save The Queen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    They don't have to. The House of Lords could be elected followed by dethroning the Queen.
    Fair enough, if this becomes a significant problem I may take your advice. However for now I think the concepts are closely linked enough to justify having them in the same bill.

ReputationRep:
    Because any patriot knows that Britain and the monarch are the same thing. The Monarch is the country personified. You are not a patriot, you are an enemy of Britain.
    I'm sorry, but this is patently untrue.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, if this becomes a significant problem I may take your advice. However for now I think the concepts are closely linked enough to justify having them in the same bill.
    You need to split them -you may get a yes on the house of lords bit - but a defo no on the monarchy bill.

ReputationRep:
    First of all - you're coming across very xenophobic in some of your other posts.
    2nd - Whats great about a monarchy - the fact you have something to be proud of despite the one eyed scottish idiot that we have as a Prime Minister. I feel that with the monarchy we have achieved something.
    3rd - We have a democratic leader and hereditary leader.
    Albeit the monarchy doesn't have any power thanks to the current democratic leaders of this nation, so their not real leaders at the moment - other than bringing up the morality of the country - blighty's spirit needs a top up occasionally you know, and the queen/king gives it :yes:
    I apologise if I sound xenophobic. I assure you this has not been my intention at all.

Ironic though that you call me xenophobic, and then call Gordon Brown a one eyed scottish idiot

Why is the monarchy an achievement? Quite the opposite in that no citizen can aspire to 'make it to the top' because there is already somebody sitting there, just because of which family they were born into.

Why do we need the monarch to top up our spirit? Other countries manage fine without it, I think if we need a symbol to rally around it should be our great political tradition - the Westminster system, the magna carta etc. as well as our numerous successful celebrities and entrepreneurs and scientists. People who make our country good, and who have earned this right unlike the royals.

ReputationRep:
    You need to split them -you may get a yes on the house of lords bit - but a defo no on the monarchy bill.
    Why on earth should it stop at the lords? You are either committed to democracy or you are not. I won't pander to other peoples warped allegiance to the royals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bax-man)
    I'm sorry, but this is patently untrue.
    How is it? It is completely true.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.