x Turn on thread page Beta

B246 The Commonwealth of Britain Bill watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    What? :lolwut:
    He would have been born in 1997 or 96

ReputationRep:
    Reading that bill made this monarchist feel sick!

Keep those nasty republican paws off of the monarchy, it's one of the few things that's still great about Great Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Referee)

Keep those nasty republican paws off of the monarchy, it's one of the few things that's still great about Great Britain.
    Does it really make Britain great though? Or do you just like the crown?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Referee)

Here, here!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    Because I believe that the House of Lords would function better if it was democratic, and because I believe that it is fundamentally wrong to have a Head of State who only attained that position because of her family lineage. I guess you could say that on principle I believe it would be criminal to allow this relic to survive, as well as detrimental to the overall democratic nature of Britain.

The Lords would still by the way retain their right to overrule commons decisions, they simply would no longer be assigned by either (a) politically biased government or (b) which family they were born into.

I can't attack all that is un-democratic in this bill of course, which is why it doesn't include the EU. I think that is a separate matter (which the house has tried to tackle before). Anyway, there is no point leaving the 'little things' be just because there are bigger things to deal with surely?
    So you're going to remove what little stability there is in our (increasingly devalued and pointless) legislature, thus weakening our position futher? Meanwhile our laws, economic and foreign policy continue being made in 'Europe' and interpretted by unelected judges.

Given the Parliamentary principle that one Parliament must not tie the hands of the successive one, I think a bill on its own is a terrible way of introducing such major constitutional change. Surely a referendum, preferably with a majority among all eligible voters, is the bare minimum required?

Also, what will happen to Our overseas territories who have Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom as their Head of State? They have their own legislatures and this bill intends to overule them. Maybe the little people don't matter.

If you were prepared to ask people, I think you would find they have little appetite for another layer of politicians. I also think you'd find they'd balk at the idea of having el presidente too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnythingButChardonnay)
    So you're going to remove what little stability there is in our (increasingly devalued and pointless) legislature, thus weakening our position futher? Meanwhile our laws, economic and foreign policy continue being made in 'Europe' and interpretted by unelected judges.

Given the Parliamentary principle that one Parliament must not tie the hands of the successive one, I think a bill on its own is a terrible way of introducing such major constitutional change. Surely a referendum, preferably with a majority among all eligible voters, is the bare minimum required?

Also, what will happen to Our overseas territories who have Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom as their Head of State? They have their own legislatures and this bill intends to overule them. Maybe the little people don't matter.

If you were prepared to ask people, I think you would find they have little appetite for another layer of politicians. I also think you'd find they'd baulk at the idea of having el presidente too.
    Not at all, I would point you to the British constitution which will ensure stability of our democracy. It will add value to the legislature. I understand that the EU frustrates you, but honestly this bill will give them no more power over Britain.

In terms of the referendum I have answered this. The unfortunate thing about the TSR HoC is that we cannot carry out referendums. We basically just have to debate bills, the pros and cons etc. We can't hold a referendum for obvious reasons. In fact calling for a referendum on the subject in this HoC is no more than a diversion from the real arguments. (part of that is pasted from my response to Adam).

In terms of the Commonwealth of Nations, there is an entire section of the bill devoted to this. Have a read of that, I think it is pretty reasonable. To point this section out, perhaps it is not as obvious as I thought:

(6) Queen Elizabeth II shall remain titular Head of the Commonwealth of Nations until her death or resignation of the position, after which case the position should come under review by all member states. This bill does not affect the constitutional status of the other fifteen ‘Commonwealth realms’.
    Have you read the bill? There will be no 'el presidente'.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, I would point you to the British constitution which will ensure stability of our democracy. It will add value to the legislature. I understand that the EU frustrates you, but honestly this bill will give them no more power over Britain.

The monarch is at the centre of the British constitution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    The monarch is at the centre of the British constitution.
    Currently yes it is. If you had read past the first paragraph you would know that this bill introduces a new constitution.

ReputationRep:
    Currently yes it is. If you had read past the first paragraph you would know that this bill introduces a new constitution.
    It barely covers it.

ReputationRep:
    It barely covers the monarchs role.
    :eyeball: what?

ReputationRep:
    :eyeball: what?
    Read edited post.

ReputationRep:
    He would have been born in 1997 or 96

Oh right I forgot. I seem to assume that everyone is late teens/early twenties on this site.

ReputationRep:
    Read edited post.
    Oh I see lol.

When you say barely covers it what do you mean? I'm not going to add pointless detail for the sake of it.

Of course I’m not going to write a constitution for this bill (if that is what you are suggesting), all it does is say that a constitution must be written and that it will be written by appropriate people who importantly will vary from elected representatives, the public themselves and “relevant intellectuals”. I think that this is fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    What is the point, of all the problems facing the country is this the biggest?

ReputationRep:

Makes me proud to be British !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Oh right I forgot. I seem to assume that everyone is late teens/early twenties on this site.
    :p: I think most people are between 18-24, but there a fair number of younger people and some older too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    What is the point, of all the problems facing the country is this the biggest?
    Probably not, although to be fair the Libertarians already abolished poverty. Now I'm just trying to fix the democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tucker672)

ReputationRep:
    Probably not, although to be fair the Libertarians already abolished poverty. Now I'm just trying to fix the democracy.
    Monarchy is thefoundation of democracy. We are far more democratic than any foreign counterpart.

ReputationRep:

You disrespectful **** !!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 18, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.