Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have got an unconditional offer from Edinburgh University and a conditional from Durham. I am doing 3 Advanced Highers anyway so I'm not that concerned about having to meet the second offer. What is the best Law School? I've always wanted to do English Law but I love Edinburgh City so much more - its such a lovely place and the social life is really good and the course also looks excellent. I originally hoped to go to Cambridge, got pooled - was 8th out of 54 at St John's College - and then was pushed out through lack of space *sigh* However I love Edinburgh and would defo have amazing years there if it just wasn't for my preference for English Law. So what do you think? I've got to May too decide though - although I probably will by the end of this month.

ReputationRep:
    peronally durham

ReputationRep:
    If you think you'd be much happier at Edinburgh (and you're Scottish so Edinburgh doesn't charge you tuition), I'd suggest you go there. It's a brilliant city and a great course. Unless you really want to study English law, it sounds like you'll have more fun here. You can always do the GDL for a year, especially if you get a TC in England (which will pay for the GDL to top up the material that doesn't transfer). Then you could practise in England, if that's your concern. The expense isn't small, but it costs less than three years at Durham would. Incidentally, it's easier to transfer Scotland-England than vice versa.

Well done on the offers, anyway--they're great choices.

ReputationRep:
    You could always do Scottish Law at Edinburgh, have a good time and then do that 2 year conversion course to English law.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... It's a tough one. :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    If you think you'd be much happier at Edinburgh (and you're Scottish so Edinburgh doesn't charge you tuition), I'd suggest you go there. It's a brilliant city and a great course. Unless you really want to study English law, it sounds like you'll have more fun here. You can always do the GDL for a year, especially if you get a TC in England (which will pay for the GDL to top up the material that doesn't transfer). Then you could practise in England, if that's your concern. The expense isn't small, but it costs less than three years at Durham would. Incidentally, it's easier to transfer Scotland-England than vice versa.

Well done on the offers, anyway--they're great choices.
    Hi jjarvis

Please forgive me my ignorance (for a potencial Law student I can be pretty dum sometimes ll )but what is a 'TC'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoshua)
    Hi jjarvis

Please forgive me my ignorance (for a potencial Law student I can be pretty dum sometimes ll )but what is a 'TC'?
    Training Contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harriotharmen)
    Training Contract.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harriotharmen)
    You could always do Scottish Law at Edinburgh, have a good time and then do that 2 year conversion course to English law.
    One year. There are two year courses, but they are degrees (or the GDL part time). Someone who already had a law degree wouldn't stand to gain much from doing another BA in English law.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.