Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

my bf broke up with me last week - we'd been going out for nearly 2 and a half years. his main reasons 1) he thinks the next step in our relationship is marriage and he thinks he's too young 2) he wants to work hard in for our final exams at uni.

background story - i am ready to settle down. my parents have met his parents. my grandma has made approving noises. he's stayed at my parents house, i've stayed at his. we are in our final year of uni (23/24 yrs old) and it is known generally that people in long relationships get married soon after finishing. some of our friends have got married over the last couple years. blah blah blah.

but he refuses to settle down, and thinks that if we get comfortable in this relationship - for the long term, he'll be suffocated and confined. he wants to stay a boy forever - well at least until his 30s.

i don't know - i've had a good feeling about him ever since we first started seeing each other that 'he is the one'. you know when you ask people how do you know he was the right person to marry, and they say they just know. most of the time that's how i feel about him. however, our life plans don't match. i want to marry at about 26, and have kids before i'm 30.

i guess i'm venting a bit. i feel really frustrated that he thinks being in a relationship would confine him, and nothing i say will convince him otherwise. i guess i'm also asking advice about what i should do - has anyone else been in this situation? should i give up cos our life plans don't match?

thanks

bump

ReputationRep:
    Yea, he's making a ******** excuse because he doesn't like you anymore. He's a guy, guys are doucefags 90% of the time. They don't have the guts to say why they really broke up with you so they sugar coat it as if you don't realize they are lying.

I'm not trying to be harsh..just try to get over him. He's not worried about you so why should you be about him? What's ment to be will happen and maybe if you leave him alone he'll realize what he lost and will come running back.

"If you love something let it go, if it comes back it's yours. If not it never was."

(: message me if you want to talk about it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.