Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so i am thinking of getting this done to remove unwanted hair on underarms and bikini area. I went for a consultation and was really up for it, but then speaking to my mum she reminded me that it really isn't essential and i don't really have the money to do it.

It would cost almost £700!

I do have a savings account that i could use all the money in to get this done, but then i worry it may be a silly decision.

I don't react well to shaving and waxing is a pain and i only really do it every now and then, mostly in the summer. Most of the time i have to make do with stuble. Which doesnt make me feel confident in vest tops etc.

The other worry would be if the laser treatment wasn't as good as i think and then a HUGE waste.

What do you think?

Oh and the £700 offer is only until 15th so not long to decide, after that for the same course of treatment id be looking at £900.

Thankss

ReputationRep:
    I guess the benefits of it is that you wouldn't have to constantly be removing hair from them areas but it is nevertheless quite expensive! Would it not also be really painful? :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    I guess the benefits of it is that you wouldn't have to constantly be removing hair from them areas but it is nevertheless quite expensive! Would it not also be really painful? :afraid:
    No i had a test patch done and it kind of felt like an elastic band pinging on the sking. Was a bit sore afterwards, but nothing too bad.

It's just the worry that it will be a waste of money...! For me waxing only lasts a week or so at best, so im worried that the laser wont be as good as the nurse technician said it would be. They reckon on a worst case scenario you would have a 60% reduction in hair growth and would maybe get the odd fine hair, like arm hair growing after the full course... i like the sound of that! But then £700...!!

I could buy a car with that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidders)
    No i had a test patch done and it kind of felt like an elastic band pinging on the sking. Was a bit sore afterwards, but nothing too bad.

It's just the worry that it will be a waste of money...! For me waxing only lasts a week or so at best, so im worried that the laser wont be as good as the nurse technician said it would be. They reckon on a worst case scenario you would have a 60% reduction in hair growth and would maybe get the odd fine hair, like arm hair growing after the full course... i like the sound of that! But then £700...!!

I could buy a car with that!
    But it would hurt more/less depending on your current hair removal strategy? I'm guessing it'll hurt more if you're a shaver than if you're a waxer/epilater

What is the normal reduction rate? (you said worst case is 60% is worst case scenario) - I guess it'd be useful to talk to people who have had it done? :dontknow: Maybe read some (yes this sounds silly probably) reviews or stories etc to see what it is REALLY like. You could indeed do a lot for £700 but you won't know whether it's personally worth it unless you give it a go. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't do it. It's £700 you can keep, or spend like, £5 on a really good razor.
    Maybe you don't react well to shaving because you don't moisturise before + after well enough?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in the process of getting laser hair removal on my underarms and bikini line. I was shaving my underams every day - the hair growth was really fast and looked awful. After 4 sessions of lasering I'm now shaving once a month at the least - it really does work. I still have another 2 sessions to go so fingers crossed it's going to be permanent on me. My bikini line is the same - my hair growth was quite thick and fast and now I hardly ever need to shave it!

If you have a real issue with your hair in those places I'd defo recommend it. Like I say, I was shaving every day and it made me feel conscious that people could see a 'shadow' under my arms, it knocked my confidence and I felt like I couldn't wear some tops.

As for the pain, underarms is fine, just remember to put aloe vera gel on after you've had it done as it is quite hot. The bikini area DOES HURT!!!! But not the same kind of pain as waxing as that leaves you sore, with the laser it's a quick pain, all over in 10 mins, and while it feels tender for a few hours, its nothing like waxing pain. All the redness will be gone in half an hour max.

A friend of mine encouraged me to do it - she's had it done on her face (she was very conscious of her face, even though there was very few there), bikini line and legs. She was shaving every day, sometimes twice a day, waxing didn't last, she tried all of the creams and epilators and nothing worked. Now she doesn't have to shave at all and she's soooo much happier for it.

I'm gonna go back for my legs too! I say go for it!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmarky)
    Hi, I'm in the process of getting laser hair removal on my underarms and bikini line. I was shaving my underams every day - the hair growth was really fast and looked awful. After 4 sessions of lasering I'm now shaving once a month at the least - it really does work. I still have another 2 sessions to go so fingers crossed it's going to be permanent on me. My bikini line is the same - my hair growth was quite thick and fast and now I hardly ever need to shave it!

If you have a real issue with your hair in those places I'd defo recommend it. Like I say, I was shaving every day and it made me feel conscious that people could see a 'shadow' under my arms, it knocked my confidence and I felt like I couldn't wear some tops.

As for the pain, underarms is fine, just remember to put aloe vera gel on after you've had it done as it is quite hot. The bikini area DOES HURT!!!! But not the same kind of pain as waxing as that leaves you sore, with the laser it's a quick pain, all over in 10 mins, and while it feels tender for a few hours, its nothing like waxing pain. All the redness will be gone in half an hour max.

A friend of mine encouraged me to do it - she's had it done on her face (she was very conscious of her face, even though there was very few there), bikini line and legs. She was shaving every day, sometimes twice a day, waxing didn't last, she tried all of the creams and epilators and nothing worked. Now she doesn't have to shave at all and she's soooo much happier for it.

Thankyou for this, it has been really useful!! Can i ask you where you get it done? I really like the idea of never having to worry again, but now i've missed my opportunity to get the 20% reduction off the cost i'm thinking it may be well beyond my financial remit :o:

Unless i tried phoning them today and booking it!! lol

ReputationRep:
    Hiya again, glad you found it useful! If you have any questions about it you can ask me and I'll try to help!

I go to SK:N clinics - they're all over the country so there might be one near you. Some are beauticians, some are nurses but all of the staff at mine are brilliant, so friendly and the place is spotlessly clean...defo recommend them if you can get in to see them.

It is expensive and I thought long and hard about it, but I don't regret it at all. Defo money well spent, it's so nice not having to worry.

Don't expect instant results either, although I did see a massive difference after just one session. The hair doesn't just fall out immediately, and the first few days after getting it done you will see some roots but they gradually disappear. I find the week after getting it done I am actually shaving a little bit more but then I can go over a month without doing anything. Amazing!!!

RING THEM NOW!!!!

ReputationRep:
    can it be used on asian skins?

ReputationRep:
    boots do an IPL machine- its about £200 and its got really good reviews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHEESE!)
    can it be used on asian skins?
    Apparantly it works best on pale skin and dark hair but no reason why it won't work on Asian skin...you should get a consultation and ask - they'll tell you the truth!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmarky)

may i just ask..now that its been quite a long time has the hair really gone away?

ReputationRep:
    Ooooo sorry for the late reply - it's been ages since i was on here!

Yep the hair has gone, i have 2 sessions left but i didn't have to shave between my last 2 (gap of 6-7 weeks) its smooth smooth smooth its great!!!

ReputationRep:
    must add i did pay for an extra 3 sessions (so 9 in all) but it is all gone now!

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.