Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For one of my GCSE choices I am going to choose BTEC Business Diploma - Worth 4 gcse's.

I am most likely to go onto studying medicine at uni and i was wondering what they think of a student who had done a
    BTEC Business DIPLOMA for one of their GCSE choices?

And if anyone has done this course. What are your general thoughts on it? :confused:

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    dont do it! D: pick proper gcses! equivalents arent nearly as good, but if you really want to do it, as long as your other choices are okay.. :/ i wouldn't recommend it though.

ReputationRep:
    I do BTEC National Diploma in IT and I've got a Distinction * in BTEC 1st IT , I still received offers and I don't have any decent (Grades above C) GCSE's

ReputationRep:
    What's the point in doing a business diploma if you know you want to do medicine? Just do normal GCSEs. The diploma might be "worth 4 GCSEs" but it's not actually worth that if universities don't accept it, which they might not.

Don't risk it.

ReputationRep:
    They see them as the domain of the unintelligent.

ReputationRep:
    Its equivilent to piece of used toilet paper.
    I did applied buisness and regreted it. It didnt make a huge impact on my life but its generaly frowned upon, you know?

ReputationRep:
    Wow some people on here are so stupid! Don't listen to them! BTec's are good if you're looking to do something practical in the future. like me, I'm doing a BTEC ND in Music Tech because I want to make music.. studying chemistry or biology obviously wouldn't benefit me! But since you're thinking of doing medicine I don't think a Business BTec would benefit you. But then again it is YOUR life so go for what you think would suit you. Don't take advice from some of the geeks on here whose life's are so square they feel like they have to comment on everybody else's decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dettz)
    Wow some people on here are so stupid! Don't listen to them! BTec's are good if you're looking to do something practical in the future. like me, I'm doing a BTEC ND in Music Tech because I want to make music.. studying chemistry or biology obviously wouldn't benefit me! But since you're thinking of doing medicine I don't think a Business BTec would benefit you. But then again it is YOUR life so go for what you think would suit you. Don't take advice from some of the geeks on here whose life's are so square they feel like they have to comment on everybody else's decisions.
    Yes but he wants to do medicine, you utter c0ck.

ReputationRep:
    When I finished school my careers counsellor recommended that I take a BTEC National Diploma because I knew I wanted to do Computer Science, telling me that it made more sense for me to do just Computing because that's what I wanted to do.

Regardless of what you're told BTEC's are worth nothing and more often than not you have to work as hard as anyone else taking A Levels. I made tons of amazing friends during my ND that I wouldn't have made doing individual A Levels and I'm at university now but A Levels or even the IB system are where you want to be, and if you're taking the entry-level BTEC you want to do GCSE's instead. There's really no benefit to a BTEC; you'll be working as hard as everyone else (perhaps harder) for something worth less.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know medicine admissions will not count your BTEC and it will disadvantage you if you have less GCSEs as a result.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please confirm if BTEC counts or not if im going to study medicine???? - - SHEFFIELD UNIVERSITY (hopefully) - -

Pleeeeeeeaaaassseee.....

And if not what should I take instead????

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield don't mention it on their website but you would need at least 5 As at GCSE, probably more. And you'll need at least AAB at A-level, again, probably more.

Your best bet is to e-mail the universities and see if the accept it, some will, some won't. They will not accept it for the 4 GCSEs it is supposedly worth, I'll tell you that for nothing.

What's the point in risking it? Just take GCSEs. You know you want to do medicine, this BTEC will be a lot of work for nothing and it might even put you at a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paki4lyf786)
    Can someone please confirm if BTEC counts or not if im going to study medicine???? - - SHEFFIELD UNIVERSITY (hopefully) - -

Pleeeeeeeaaaassseee.....

And if not what should I take instead????
    It's best not to take it TBH. If you want to do a business subject, then do Business Studies GCSE (but make sure that all your other GCSEs are rigorously academic).

Medicine is very competitive, so don't put yourself at a disadvantage by doing a BTEC as you will only come to regret it later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)
    Sheffield don't mention it on their website but you would need at least 5 As at GCSE, probably more. And you'll need at least AAB at A-level, again, probably more.

Your best bet is to e-mail the universities and see if the accept it, some will, some won't. They will not accept it for the 4 GCSEs it is supposedly worth, I'll tell you that for nothing.

What's the point in risking it? Just take GCSEs. You know you want to do medicine, this BTEC will be a lot of work for nothing and it might even put you at a disadvantage.
    Hi mate, Can you email them and find out for me please. As I have no email
    I will add your repp.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    No. I don't believe for a second that you don't have an e-mail address, it's you that wants to do medicine, you e-mail them. If you really don't have an e-mail account go to hotmail or googlemail and create one.

ReputationRep:
    Any Reccomendations On What I Should Take Instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splodger)
    I do BTEC National Diploma in IT and I've got a Distinction * in BTEC 1st IT , I still received offers and I don't have any decent (Grades above C) GCSE's
    What did you recieve offers for?

ReputationRep:
    Any Reccomendations On What I Should Take Instead?
    Just take enough GCSEs, why can't you do that?

ReputationRep:
    What did you recieve offers for?
    All the uni's I applied for 0.o

I want to go Glasgow Caley or Abertay Dundee probably Caley

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talveer)
    Just ring and ask, Half the people ripping on BTECs haven't taken them nor do they know how Unis look at them.

Just ask them.

The first person who commented is 15 ffs how would she even know anything about them? She is just starting her GCSE's.
    I've almost finished them, actually, and I should know, I took it for a year. :/ And I would only recommend it to someone who actually really wanted to go into business or computing etc. Not medicine. Obviously I don't know how universities look at them exactly, but I have been in contact with a few places to ask about equivalent qualifications and most places don't accept them, or will only consider them with other GCSEs at exceptional grades.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.