Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

So it turns out, going down a mountain at 90mph on a baking tray is a bad idea... watch

(Original post by BBC)
    The death of a luge competitor who left the track at high speed has cast a shadow over the Winter Olympics in Canada ahead of the opening ceremony.

Georgian Nodar Kumaritashvili's sled flipped and he smashed into a steel pole at the Whistler Sliding Centre.

An Olympic official later confirmed the 21-year-old had died as a result.

This sport always seemed completely nuts to me. Going down a luge track at speeds of up to 90mph on essentially a baking tray. Sadly, one of the competitors at the winter olympic games died today, doing this sport...

Just watched the video, although I don't think I'm allowed to post it on TSR. Shame anyway .

RIP, thats all that can be said really. All sports carry an element of danger and these things do happen.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.