Turn on thread page Beta

AS Photography exam- "Rhythms and Cycles"- HELPPP? watch

ReputationRep:
    I basically have to do this by myself, but I didn't get the exam paper because of the snow, and I've got to start over half term. Everyones said nature etc, but I like different ideas, anyone got any starting points for me or know any good artists/ photographers. Would be very much appreciated thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josieee)
    Everyones said nature etc, but I like different ideas
    From 'different to nature' I'm thinking the daily cycle that you see in urban life - people walking to work; train stations; bus routes; morning coffee etc. - and you could try not including faces in your photograph to show the anonymity people during rush hour. The French expression 'Métro, boulot, dodo' is a really nice way of describing this repetitiveness. Or if this seems a bit too normal look at the people around you and find someone with the most interesting daily 'habit' or routine and photograph that: being controversial is usually the best way forward in photography

I don't know anything about AS Photography - do you have to use digital cameras for the photographs? Because if not you could maybe look at pinhole cameras that show a repetitive 'cycle' over a long period of time?

As for artists/photographers... Jane Fulton Alt's 'The Treatment Room' is interesting as it shows her day-to-day life at work, with different people but in the same dull settings. Suzette Bross photographs the everyday things that occur between the 'main events' of the day, that people don't usually consider the possible beauty in. And I know you don't really want to look at nature but you could consider Richard Long's idea of taking items from a certain journey and then photographing them in the order that they were collected but in a different setting; he did it with bits of driftwood and sand and stuff but this could also be done with things that make up a person's daily routine like a toothbrush, cereal box, umbrella etc.

Hope this helps, sorry if you'd already thought of all of these things and have now wasted five minutes reading through my post... :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alicealice)
    From 'different to nature' I'm thinking the daily cycle that you see in urban life - people walking to work; train stations; bus routes; morning coffee etc. - and you could try not including faces in your photograph to show the anonymity people during rush hour. The French expression 'Métro, boulot, dodo' is a really nice way of describing this repetitiveness. Or if this seems a bit too normal look at the people around you and find someone with the most interesting daily 'habit' or routine and photograph that: being controversial is usually the best way forward in photography

I don't know anything about AS Photography - do you have to use digital cameras for the photographs? Because if not you could maybe look at pinhole cameras that show a repetitive 'cycle' over a long period of time?

As for artists/photographers... Jane Fulton Alt's 'The Treatment Room' is interesting as it shows her day-to-day life at work, with different people but in the same dull settings. Suzette Bross photographs the everyday things that occur between the 'main events' of the day, that people don't usually consider the possible beauty in. And I know you don't really want to look at nature but you could consider Richard Long's idea of taking items from a certain journey and then photographing them in the order that they were collected but in a different setting; he did it with bits of driftwood and sand and stuff but this could also be done with things that make up a person's daily routine like a toothbrush, cereal box, umbrella etc.

Hope this helps, sorry if you'd already thought of all of these things and have now wasted five minutes reading through my post... :o:
    I really like your ideas. I hope you don't mind me taking ideas from them? Thankyou very much

ReputationRep:
    Of course not - I wouldn't have told you them if I didn't want you to have them :p:

ReputationRep:
    I basically have to do this by myself, but I didn't get the exam paper because of the snow, and I've got to start over half term. Everyones said nature etc, but I like different ideas, anyone got any starting points for me or know any good artists/ photographers. Would be very much appreciated thankyou
    Agreeing with alice somewhat, you could do daily routines/cycles and look at the work of KayLynn Deveney - the day to day life of albert hastings. You can get the images online but try to find the book she printed and read the story behind it, I loved it and used this idea for my own AS work, documenting the day to day routines of family members

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdviceSeeker09)
    Agreeing with alice somewhat, you could do daily routines/cycles and look at the work of KayLynn Deveney - the day to day life of albert hastings. You can get the images online but try to find the book she printed and read the story behind it, I loved it and used this idea for my own AS work, documenting the day to day routines of family members
    omg thats a good idea, thanks a lot i might use this as an idea to put in my sketchbook, or like taking so many photos of my family each day, seeing changess. i dont know anything haha. or the same routines. THANKYOU

ReputationRep:
    if anyone else has any other ideas please feel free to post

ReputationRep:
    OMG i had that topic for my as photography exam like..in 2007!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    OMG i had that topic for my as photography exam like..in 2007!
    really? what did you do?

ReputationRep:
    really? what did you do?

god knows, i can't remember..something on light/dark i think

This has to be your own work tho love, make a brainwave of things which have rhythms or cycles..and maybe try some work out, and explore some artists?

ReputationRep:
    yeah i will i was just curious. thanks tho.

ReputationRep:
    anyone got any other ideas for me

ReputationRep:
    omg thats a good idea, thanks a lot i might use this as an idea to put in my sketchbook, or like taking so many photos of my family each day, seeing changess. i dont know anything haha. or the same routines. THANKYOU
    Yeahh sounds good! No problem - let me know how you get on! I'm actually gutted I dropped photography in A2 - I loved it lol

ReputationRep:
    im doing fine art and im findin this topic particularly hard, i have ideas but cant find any artists that do life cycles of flowers, and things in nature. Either im looking in all the wrong places or there arent any help!!

ReputationRep:
    im doing AS Photography and AS Fine Art, need two completly different ideas as my 6thform are moniterd as few years ago sum idiot pritty much submitted exactly the same work for both subjects.
    Already got one idea related to music for my photography but has any one got any helpful ideas towards another idea for Art and hlpful websites and artists etc? thanks xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm also doing this course, I also haven't yet recieved my exam paper but have loads of idea's. If you want to chat get in touch with me, and if you can help me find the info about the exam cirteria so I can get started I'm more than happy to help brain storm idea's with you.
    my email is [email protected].

ReputationRep:
    i'm doing this theme as well for photography and graphics.
    i've got an idea for graphics but i'm not so sure about photography.
    i thought about maybe doing something with repetition, like beach huts.
    that idea was just because i'm going on holiday though, hoping i could take my final piece when i go lol.
    i also thought about the whole thing with someone's daily routine, was going to go up to london to take pictures of commuters and stuff and at the tube stations haha

ReputationRep:
    You could do the Routine of the day, cycle of movement the cycles of age these are the sorts of things i am looking at doing (:

ReputationRep:
    Hey! i'm doing this right now! haha :P
    Sorry if i repeat what someone else said but i just wanted to out my ideas in :P and i only just signed up haha :P
    Have you tried doing mind maps? i've found that literally anything goes into this theme...
    You could do movement; such as dancing...a routine which is a cycle and links into rhythm
    Music, Emotions, Fashion (trends go in and out of style), Life Cycle, Time, Obsessions, Colour, Sleep/Dreams (i'm doing this! ), Social, Sports...
    Photographers which i'm also researching are David LaChapelle, Ninagawa and Tim Walker.
    Other Photographers are
    Uta Barth
    Bianca Brunner
    Barbara Probst
    Clunie Reid
    Sanna Kisto
    Rineke Dijksha
    Jerry Uelsmann
    Nan Golding
    Leni Rienfenstahl
    and this list could go on so just somhow contact me if you need more xD hope i helped and wasn't too late xxx

ReputationRep:
    ive got this theme for my photography project and am doing the cycle of plants however i am finding it really difficulty to find photographers that do this. Does anyone have any ideas, would be a great help. x xx

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.