Turn on thread page Beta

Who exactly owns the rights to the movies? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering this for a while, so TSR is my first port of call. :yes:

Who owns the movies?

Is it the studio? The production company? The director?

I have always noticed that even somebody as powerful as Steven Spielberg is not listed as producer on all of the films he directs (a producer is in charge of the production, and usually the director answers to the producer).

For example, Spielberg is not producer on either of his 2 Jurassic Park films that were released by Universal Pictures. Neither did his production company (Amblin Entertainment) make them.

So who owns what?

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought who ever funds it?
    So if a company does, then they do? Sometimes individuals back it? Sometimes directors/actors themselves (once successful)?

I could be wrong though

ReputationRep:
    I'd have thought the production company? I'm probs wrong, iknownothingonthematter.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what's in the contract. What do you mean by own? The contract might state that rights are shared between the writer, director, producer etc. and will say how much each gets from profits... I think it's different for every film (for example a writer might completely sell a script and have nothing to do with anything else).

ReputationRep:
    I would guess the production company, as they pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    It's very likely to production company.

The production company is the one taking the risk. The production company decides who the director will be and the rest of the staff is probably decided by the director. The director is like a manager of a single firm of a major corporation. His career is on the line but not his money. The production company probably gives money to the director who makes sure the project is successful by allocating it between the staff.

ReputationRep:
    It's odd, at best. As pink_pop_princess said, it depends on the contract. The usual, Hollywood-style deal is that the creative team (this is limited to the director and writer(s), really) own the rights to anything that falls under intellectual property, whereas the rights to the actual physical reel of film/file on the computer/whatever belongs to the people who pitched up the money to make it (which varies from movie to movie).

An excellent example of this is a show called Firefly, which you may or may not be familiar with. Joss Whedon owns the idea behind it - essentially frontiersmen in space - but he has sold the rights to show it in various mediums to various companies. The television showing rights are held by 20th Century Fox, the rights to show it as a movie are held at present by Universal, and the rights to produce it as a comic book are held by Dark Horse Comics. There are also others who have sold off their idea entirely, along with all publishing rights - for example, there's a continuing battle over who holds the intellectual rights of Superman, whose creators sold their idea off for $130 plus a contract to work for DC!

So in short, it's complicated at the best of times. Essentially, there's a distinction between rights to intellectual property and rights to distribution.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.