Turn on thread page Beta

How Do You Get Into Investment Banking Without A Maths Related Degree? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Goldmans Sachs told me about International Relation, Business Management, International Business and so on.

International Relations seems a bit boring though....

Any other ways into getting into that field without doing the maths and economics?

ReputationRep:
    dream :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    work experience

ReputationRep:
    Have good connections

ReputationRep:
    They recruit out of universities for loads of degrees don't they? We're forever getting emails about people coming to talk about Investment banking and other various boring careers.

ReputationRep:
    You can do a degree on Finance and Risk, maths isn't a key factor on in this but it does have the subject in some areas

ReputationRep:
    A Chemistry degree can get you into investment banking, I don't know how but I know it can.

Then again I have been told by teachers before that if you want to work for an organisation then more or less any degree will do since they will give you training and just want to know that you can handle that training. Obviously Sports degree would not work but anything written probably would. Very competitive though so it probably would be hard but not impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billy Bryant)
    A Chemistry degree can get you into investment banking, I don't know how but I know it can.

Then again I have been told by teachers before that if you want to work for an organisation then more or less any degree will do since they will give you training and just want to know that you can handle that training. Obviously Sports degree would not work but anything written probably would. Very competitive though so it probably would be hard but not impossible.
    If your still studying A-Levels then please refrain from giving career advice. 'Anything written' is not something IB recruitment look for. The OP should be aware that if he has no interest in maths and economics, then he should be considering whether a career in the financial sector is right for him.

ReputationRep:
    Come from oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    Come from oxbridge
    This is quite true.

ReputationRep:
    Go to a top 3 - 5 university, have a real interest in markets and stuff, be good at interviews/filling out application forms and apply for the less quantitative positions. You hear of people who've done Classics at Oxford get in. We had someone do a talk about understanding derivatives (generally a very complicated and mathematical topic) who'd done International Relations previously...

ReputationRep:
    How is IR related to investment banking..?

I did a year of IR at uni and... :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    That's the thing - you don't need to know a thing about "investment banking" to get a job - you just need to be someone who's able to understand it once you get a job and perform well, whilst getting along with people.

Everyone I've spoken to tells me that the first thing they're told when they start working is to forget everything they learnt at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)

I did a year of IR at uni and... :dontknow:
    It isn't. Directly.

I've met people from backgrounds in English, MFLs etc - qualitative subjects and what not.

There is of course emphasis upon quantitative backgrounds for most roles, but if you really want it, there shouldn't be much to hold you back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    That's the thing - you don't need to know a thing about "investment banking" to get a job - you just need to be someone who's able to understand it once you get a job and perform well, whilst getting along with people.

Everyone I've spoken to tells me that the first thing they're told when they start working is to forget everything they learnt at university.
    Summer on a trading desk = Mind **** when reading Economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)

Ah okay. So it's intelligence rather than knowledge. Anyway I know sod all about IB so won't comment further... :p:

ReputationRep:
    engineering

ReputationRep:
    Erm...I did an Arts degree and I've managed.

Currently doing a Masters in Finance, but that didn't get me a job, I only chose to do it for my own interest.

ReputationRep:
    do maths and economics

ReputationRep:
    According to career fairs people, they quite like languages graduates, and the weirder the language, the better it is :holmes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.