Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How Do You Get Into Investment Banking Without A Maths Related Degree? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know people in banking with degrees as diverse as Law, History, Zoology, Classics, English Literature etc. Mainly they work in IBD or in sales, though some are in trading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pagrant)
    Goldmans Sachs told me about International Relation, Business Management, International Business and so on.

International Relations seems a bit boring though....

Any other ways into getting into that field without doing the maths and economics?

Are you comfortable with Maths ? - if not then probably a lot of IB fields won't really be appropriate for you. However for some roles such as sales, compliance, etc. personal skills can be more important than numerical skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anongeek)
    Are you comfortable with Maths ? - if not then probably a lot of IB fields won't really be appropriate for you. However for some roles such as sales, compliance, etc. personal skills can be more important than numerical skills.
    yeah, I want to go into the private wealth management / sales etc

ReputationRep:
    its pretty unlikely you would need a maths degree for basically any job in ib...also the principle that anything you will learn in uni that is significant practically has never made sense to me. For example, economics is obv relevant but most of the stuff you need to know is basic, everyone else knows it and it won't make you money, so altho you should know the basics the information has no real value. Maths is one step further out, knowing how to do calculus or geometry isn't going to help when your trying to build assets or value something. a basic knowledge of statistics or probability is probablly as advanced as it is going to get...and thats probablly for a small cross section of graduate jobs. private wealth seems to depend more on relationships than any particular "skill".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crcr)
    its pretty unlikely you would need a maths degree for basically any job in ib...also the principle that anything you will learn in uni that is significant practically has never made sense to me. For example, economics is obv relevant but most of the stuff you need to know is basic, everyone else knows it and it won't make you money, so altho you should know the basics the information has no real value. Maths is one step further out, knowing how to do calculus or geometry isn't going to help when your trying to build assets or value something. a basic knowledge of statistics or probability is probablly as advanced as it is going to get...and thats probablly for a small cross section of graduate jobs. private wealth seems to depend more on relationships than any particular "skill".
    This is very true. I have very limited experience in the industry, but from what I have seen most divisions, especially IBD, is more about work ethic and your soft skills, e.g. networking. A lot of the stuff you will need to know will either be taught during the first few weeks of training or you will learn on the job. Doing Advanced Mathematics is only relevant in a small area, e.g. Quants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_zone)
    You can do a degree on Finance and Risk, maths isn't a key factor on in this but it does have the subject in some areas
    Maths is very important in risk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_zone)
    You can do a degree on Finance and Risk, maths isn't a key factor on in this but it does have the subject in some areas
    Did you actually read this sentence after you typed it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zweihander)
    Accountancy by itself is pretty soft, that's why you see all these middle aged housewives with accounting qualifications. You need a course with a sufficient mathematical element to be taken seriously by IBs.
    What about doin Accounting and Finance? How would that hold up...I personally think its the most relevant degree to do as a lot of the Economics stuff is pointless and boring. Besides if u find out IB isnt for u, u can do a job that is similar (Accounting).

I'm assuming there is a diff between the two, that Accountancy is more managerial.

ReputationRep:
    You do realise there are various divisions within an Investment Bank and each other requires different skill sets. If you are doing IBD, you're better off doing Accounting as it will help you better understand the material. If you are going to get involved in Markets, than Economics is your best bet. BO - it doesn't really matter, from what I've found. An acquaintance did History and is working in BO.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.