Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cheating... How far is too far? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    Non of them... although context is more important than action. Even a full on kiss wouldnt be cheating in the context of a game of truth or dare imo.
    Errr...no

In answer to the questions:

Nein
    Ja
    Nein
    Ja

However it does depend on who you are doing it with. If my gf was to sit on a random guys lap then I would be having very serious words.

ReputationRep:
    How the hell is a kiss on the cheek even remotely considered cheating? It's not like either person gets anything out of it, jesus you do it to your 90 year old Nan! And a peck on the lips is nothing either, friends do it all the time. People need to stop being so uptight.

Holding hands to me anyway would be far more suspicious, depending on the context of course, as it's a slightly more relationship'y thing to do. Even then it's hardly a big deal.

I was doing all this, and slightly more suggestively I might add, with a friend last night in the pub in front of her boyfriend, and considering they have had relationship issues in the past, he didn't bat an eyelid as it was just banter, and I was having a laugh with him two minutes later.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how on earth kissing on the cheek is cheating. If I had a boyfriend who accused me of cheating each time I kissed someone on the cheek, I'd assume he was pretty insecure. And I often hold hands in a friendly way with my best friend who's a lad, so I wouldn't consider that to be cheating.

Sitting on a random's knee could be a bit too far, as could kissing a guy on the lips but I reckon it's all down to context :]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveParlour)
    How the hell is a kiss on the cheek even remotely considered cheating? It's not like either person gets anything out of it, jesus you do it to your 90 year old Nan! And a peck on the lips is nothing either, friends do it all the time. People need to stop being so uptight.
    This!!! It concerns me that so many people consider this cheating?! To me, cheating is an act which involves a breech of trust, and therefore, could potentially jeopardise the future of that relationship.While I can see how in certain contexts, I might not be happy with my boyfriend performing the above, it would certainly not merit a severe reaction for me to class it as cheating. I might get annoyed and ask him to refrain from doing it in the future, but it wouldn't cause a problem in the relationship.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't stay faithful, you shouldn't be in a relationship!

ReputationRep:
    Cheating is:

*Romancing with another person (going to restaurants and cinemas with ONE other person.
    *Being sexually intimate with another person.
    *Fantasizing and longing to be with another person (mental cheating)

ReputationRep:
    sitting on someone's knee is finee i think
    holding hands..depends on the way it's done, if they're walking round hand in hand i'd be pretty annoyed but if its just like having fun and dancing round kinda things its
    kiss on the cheek is always fine tbh
    any kiss on the lips, even just a quick one, i consider cheating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarBucks10)
    Couldn't put it better myself.

Just to repeat it to those that didn't hear:

ReputationRep:
    Cheating is:

*Romancing with another person (going to restaurants and cinemas with ONE other person.
    This completely depends on your mentality, and if you see the person you are going with in that way. For instance I do this all the time with my friends, but in no way is it cheating as I don't see them that way.

As for the 'mental cheating' bit, that's not cheating, but a strong indicator that the current relationship has severe deficiencies and should probably come to an end.

ReputationRep:
    *Fantasizing and longing to be with another person

surely thats not considered cheating?

i get the longing bit would be a bit annoying but surely you can like anyone outside the relationship? (provided you fancy the person your with alot more)

my boyfriend can fantasize over whoever he likes as long as hes not actually doing it :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizzieLizzie.)
    Sitting on someones knee nay
    Holding hands nay - but I don't think I'd stay calm if I didn't know the other person
    Kissing on the cheek nay
    A quick peck on the lips yay, if he's done it; nay, if someone's done it to him out of a sudden
    Still, mental cheating would be way worse to me than all of the above + physical cheating.
    Glad I don't need to worry about it.

Copy and paste this, and put yay or nay after it if you think it counts as cheating - or any random replies are good.

Sitting on someones knee nay
    Holding hands nay
    Kissing on the cheek nay
    A quick peck on the lips nay
    although i'm probably not the bast person to talk about this.

And anything else is blatantly cheating, anything further than kissing on the lips, a quick peck. But how far is too far?

ReputationRep:
    You guys are FAR too insecure.

Nay too all of those. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Sitting on someones knee Nay
    Holding hands Nay
    Kissing on the cheek Nay
    A quick peck on the lips Nay
    I'm very liberal. Alot of other things would also be nayed.

ReputationRep:
    While this is true, I think the problem that is being established on this thread, that people's definitions of faithful varies greatly depending on the person. I mean, I think most people would agree that sleeping with someone else is cheating, but there's already a lot of grey area even when it comes to stuff like kissing. I think it's naive to think that it's just a clear cut unless you expect your boyfriend/girlfriend never to interact with another human being.

ReputationRep:
    Sitting on someone's knee - depends on the gender of the person. If you're doing it because there are no other seats or because you "always do". Doing it consistently probably wont be appropriate.
    Holding hands - again, girls hold hands quite a bit. But walking and holding hands I see to be quite intimate. Again, not cheating, but inappropriate.
    Kiss on the cheek - I do this often, it's a notion of affection but not intimacy, I think.
    Kiss on the lips - difficult. I wouldnt do it to other guys, but i do it with several of my close girl friends... which I suppose is unfair double standards given the relaxed approach to sexualities now.

ReputationRep:
    would depend if it was a bloke i felt threatened by! if i knew she saw him in a non-sexual way then fair play.

if it was an ex of hers, ill be awwww hell no!!!

if it was an attractive lad mate of hers id prob be a bit wary of him, and maybe assert my manly possession of her at the earliest possible time, with an humongous display of public afffection.

if it was an unnattractive lad then fair play, she can **** tease him all she likes.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsgoquack)
    2" of shaft
    Haha! That actually made me laugh. :L

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, loads of really mixed opinions.
    But if you did any of them, do you think you should tell your boyfriend/girlfriend?
    Or just leave it to get back round to them?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, loads of really mixed opinions.
    But if you did any of them, do you think you should tell your boyfriend/girlfriend?
    Or just leave it to get back round to them?
    If you think they'll take issue when they find out/it'll be on fbook, then I'd say in a mild way, but don't make a big deal of it? Dunno really - I doubt I'll ever be in this position - I innocentkiss my gay mates all the time, and I'm not going to stop doing it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.