Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sitting on someones knee - No
    Holding hands - No
    Kissing on the cheek - No
    A quick peck on the lips - Yes

ReputationRep:
    Sitting on someones knee - hmm depends who the girl is.
    Holding hands - Yes (I'd see this a sign that the guy is more emotionally involved with her. waay worse than just the physical aspect of cheating)
    Kissing on the cheek - No
    A quick peck on the lips- again, depends. If it is a childhood friend or someone along those lines, i wouldn't bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmarainbow)
    If you think they'll take issue when they find out/it'll be on fbook, then I'd say in a mild way, but don't make a big deal of it? Dunno really - I doubt I'll ever be in this position - I innocentkiss my gay mates all the time, and I'm not going to stop doing it.
    Same, I hold hands at sit on all my guy best friends all the time. I've been with my boyfriend for 7 months. I've cheated on him, like properly. But I've always been really close to quite a few guys and I'll sit on their knees at lunch if there's no seats, or just to generally annoy them in a funny way. I kiss loads of guys on the cheek but not just because I can't kiss them on the lips, I'll kiss them because it's a cute greeting, and I don't mean it in a sexual way at all.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    No.
    No.
    Maybe (it would be OK if they were best mates and I was good mates with them as well).

To the people talking about holding hand being cheating: I hold girls hands quite often, but for things like leading them through a crowd or if I think the place we are in is unsafe (I usually give her my arm for that though) - surely that's alright?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LulaMinnick)
    Anything more than looking at another lady would result in me dumping my partner.
    You have serious relationship trouble.

ReputationRep:
    Kissing on the lips is cheating unless it's a family kiss. I kiss my kids on the lips for example

The other things are dependant on circumstance. Holding somebody's hand sympathetically (taking their hand and patting it) if they are a good friend and they're upset - clearly that's not cheating.

Knee-sitting...not cheating but I'd be uncomfortable about it, there's no need for it.

Kissing on the cheek, depends on the culture and so on.

ReputationRep:
    it depends on the situation or intent

a kiss on the cheek can mean completely different things depending on what situation it is in

ReputationRep:
    Sitting on someones knee - Wouldn't want someone on my bfs lap but not cheating no.
    Holding hands - Wouldn't like this, depends in situation I guess though. not cheating.
    Kissing on the cheek - Fine in most situations.
    A quick peck on the lips - No, would be dumped.

ReputationRep:
    Sitting on someones knee - fine
    Holding hands - fine
    Kissing on the cheek - fine
    A quick peck on the lips - depends.

ReputationRep:
    I think it totally depends whats going through your mind at the time of doing it, and who its with. Apart from kissing on the cheek I wouldn't want my boyf to do any of that.

ReputationRep:
    Totally depends on the situation and who the girl is, but generally:
    Sitting on someones knee - No. Sometimes there just isn't enough chairs haha.
    Holding hands - My gut reaction was no, but then in a way yeah 'cause its quite intimate and I know for a fact my boyf is not a natural hand-holder haha.
    Kissing on the cheek - Nah, its a greeting or a goodbye!
    A quick peck on the lips - Yeah unless it was family or family friends.

ReputationRep:
    Like someone else said, it's more about the intent than the physical act. Cheek-kissing and hand-holding between friends is alright (given that the hand-holding is in jest or possibly out of sympathy) but there IS a difference when you hold someone's hand with romantic intent knowing full well that's why you're doing it - you do it in a different way when it's someone you're attracted to (I've been there...)

I don't tend to sit on people's knees so I can't possibly comment - the only person I'd really be comfortable doing it with would be my boyfriend tbh.

I would say a peck on the lips is a bit too far tho, outwith family situations.

But that's just me. Every relationship is different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wanischa)
    I would be utterly pissed off with all of the above scenarios.
    Some touchy people on here, when you grow up you realise none of those are that bad and if you actually have a good relationship and aren't a jealous ****, things like that that might have seemed bad when you were in a relationship at 13 just arent

ReputationRep:
    Depends entirely on the context, and the rules that you've set out for your relationship.

If it's something that hasn't been confirmed as okay, and that your significant other is bothered by, it could be called cheating (although I think calling any of those cheating would be petty).

If you cheat on someone I think you should always tell them, unless in the (rare) circumstance where telling them will cause them more harm than good in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    Some touchy people on here, when you grow up you realise none of those are that bad and if you actually have a good relationship and aren't a jealous ****, things like that that might have seemed bad when you were in a relationship at 13 just arent
    we are entitled to feel whatever we want, who are you to say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wanischa)
    we are entitled to feel whatever we want, who are you to say?
    Ok kid

ReputationRep:
    Sitting on someones knee Yay, would just annoy me if i was right there.
    Holding hands Nay
    Kissing on the cheek Nay
    A quick peck on the lips Yay

ReputationRep:
    I dont think I class any of them as cheating as I have done all four with my closest mates *male and female*
    Dont think any have ever been an issue between me and my boyfriend.

For example I hold hands with my best mate (did so last night when he was taking me somewhere in a club) thats never an issue. But we've got a very close brother/sister kinda relationship so..

It always depends on the boundaries of the relationship, (which someone else has said)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    Ok kid
    :fyi: I'm the same age as you, don't act like you are above and beyond.

ReputationRep:
    Sitting on someones knee NAY - though tbh, whats wrong with a chair?
    Holding hands YAY
    Kissing on the cheek NAY
    A quick peck on the lips YAY

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.