Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undulipodium)
    Noble! You're alive

Still applying to Caius next year?
    Hopefully. I see you've swiftly withdrawn from all your other choices, not going to bother with an insurance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Hopefully. I see you've swiftly withdrawn from all your other choices, not going to bother with an insurance?
    I've almost got my A* in maths, rendering any other potential offers identical to my Cambridge offer.

Hope to see you next year :bigsmile:

ReputationRep:
    At one of my interviews they asked me about influences on health. For some reason, unknown to me then or now, I started talking about circumcision. Not only that - I continued to talk about it and developed my narrative into one concerning generalised Judaism.

What a fool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by down-in-albion)
    At one of my interviews they asked me about influences on health. For some reason, unknown to me then or now, I started talking about circumcision. Not only that - I continued to talk about it and developed my narrative into one concerning generalised Judaism.

What a fool!
    come over to the HYMS thread, we have gambling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chilledice)
    come over to the HYMS thread, we have gambling

I am intrigued!!!

ReputationRep:
    in my birmingham interview they asked me about my work experience at UCLH, it descended into a conversation about how they forgot to put changing rooms in the operating theatres etc, lots of laughing, I felt comfortable, and then without thinking said "but its ok because they've got a great medical school" OOPS!

At Nottingham- "Why should we take you above the guy who just left?" me (without thinking) "you shouldn't"

Leeds- "what kind of cases do you think a busy A+E like the one here sees regularly", me "(gave sensible answers and then...) with what I know of the med school here, probably lots of drunk students"

ended up with four offers though so can't have been that bad

ReputationRep:
    well this thread makes me feel a bit better about my interviews :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Woody makes me LMAO.

Woody=

(Original post by crazylemon)
    Not pure enough.

We are looking at Jesus grade purity here.
    What is your problem with who I am? I'm different to you, doesn't mean you should take the piss the whole time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody.)
    What is your problem with who I am? I'm different to you, doesn't mean you should take the piss the whole time.
    My problem with you is that you think morality is a clear cut construct with definitive answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    My problem with you is that you think morality is a clear cut construct with definitive answers.
    My morals are my morals. I am perfectly entitled to believe how and what I so desire and to take my own moral ground. Just because they differ to yours, there's no reason to constantly slate me about them. Yes, I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, I don't doubt that. I speak on the whole and in my view.

ReputationRep:
    My morals are my morals. I am perfectly entitled to believe how and what I so desire and to take my own moral ground. Just because they differ to yours, there's no reason to constantly slate me about them. Yes, I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule, I don't doubt that. I speak on the whole and in my view.
    This is the internet, mate - he can do whatever the **** he likes :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 916-CALL-TURK)
    This is the internet, mate - he can do whatever the **** he likes :yep:
    Profound.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboShrimp)
    in my birmingham interview they asked me about my work experience at UCLH, it descended into a conversation about how they forgot to put changing rooms in the operating theatres etc, lots of laughing, I felt comfortable, and then without thinking said "but its ok because they've got a great medical school" OOPS!

At Nottingham- "Why should we take you above the guy who just left?" me (without thinking) "you shouldn't"

Leeds- "what kind of cases do you think a busy A+E like the one here sees regularly", me "(gave sensible answers and then...) with what I know of the med school here, probably lots of drunk students"

ended up with four offers though so can't have been that bad
    Don't feel too bad about this, at least you didn't say:

pfft...you mean that loser that just walked passed me:rolleyes:
    Come on...be serious guys!

ReputationRep:
    And his views are his views and he is perfectly entitled to share them... :confused:
    also, this is great entertainment guys.

ReputationRep:
    The point you seem to miss is that morality is entirely subjective, depending on the individual. For anyone to try and claim that their morals are the correct ones means that they are either omniscient or a complete idiot.

No doubt you will come back with a post saying that you have never tried to claim that your morals are correct, that you are simply presenting your opinion. And while this is technically true, phrases such as "I don't believe that kind of person should be in medical school" which I have seen you use before are a big jump from your opinion to judging another individual based on your own parameters, which is where the problems (and the slatings) start.

No doubt you will fail to see this, as you have done many times before, and the thread will descend into yet another conversation as to why your idealism upsets people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    The point you seem to miss is that morality is entirely subjective, depending on the individual. For anyone to try and claim that their morals are the correct ones means that they are either omniscient or a complete idiot.

No doubt you will come back with a post saying that you have never tried to claim that your morals are correct, that you are simply presenting your opinion. And while this is technically true, phrases such as "I don't believe that kind of person should be in medical school" which I have seen you use before are a big jump from your opinion to judging another individual based on your own parameters, which is where the problems (and the slatings) start.

No doubt you will fail to see this, as you have done many times before, and the thread will descend into yet another conversation as to why your idealism upsets people.
    I would argue that morality isn't entirely subjective. There is definitely a consensus to morals which are generally agreed on by most individuals. Yes, it can change person to person, but there is a generic view. When I make my claims I do them with a reason behind them, I don't just blurt them out. I have a reason for thinking that it's not good if a doctor lies through their teeth constantly, it's beyond a non-reasoned moral.

I never said 'I don't believe that kind of person should be in medical school' quite so bluntly. I believe you are trying to refer to 'Lying your way into medical school is hardly a sign of a good doctor in my view.' That's an opinion, I'm not saying 'You don't deserve a medical school place because you lied', that's being judgemental. So indeed I shall respond saying I never claimed my morals to be correct and I am voicing my opinion and personal views, which I believe I am perfectly entitled to on a public forum.

(Original post by JacobM)
    And his views are his views and he is perfectly entitled to share them... :confused:
    also, this is great entertainment guys.
    Yes, of course he can share his viewpoint. I'm not the one being immature and posting pictures of knights in shining armour to try and mock others. I respect other people's opinions, and sometimes yes I disagree with them and I present the reasons why I disagree. That's the whole basis of discussion. Throughout my life I have chosen my own morals and have reasons behind them, they're not set in stone and I will change them if I find a logical reason to change them, but currently they are at ends with some people's views and so I discuss them in hope to show them my reasoning or accept theirs.

ReputationRep:
    I would argue that morality isn't entirely subjective.

Yes, of course he can share his viewpoint. I'm not the one being immature and posting pictures of knights in shining armour to try and mock others. I respect other people's opinions, and sometimes yes I disagree with them and I present the reasons why I disagree. That's the whole basis of discussion. Throughout my life I have chosen my own morals and have reasons behind them, they're not set in stone and I will change them if I find a logical reason to change them, but currently they are at ends with some people's views and so I discuss them in hope to show them my reasoning or accept theirs.
    1.) That's your problem mate. You argue too much.
    2.) Having your own morals is fine. The boundary is overstepped when you try and push them onto other people, as you do time and time again.

Methinks you need to take a step back and calm your views. You come across as a little hot headed. Whilst your dedication to moral purity is admirable (hence my rather light-hearted post of the knight) you must also remember that many people who are in your position also hold these views, as I am sure many medical students/doctors once did. Read the House of God if you don't believe me!

And in time, many medical students will find these noble ideals at least be shaped as they find out more and more about the job, as, let's be honest, as an applicant you are applying based pretty much on hearsay and expectations, rather than experiences and truths.

So, take what we say as being the voice of experience, rather than antagonists. Accept what we have to say as people who have a little more knowledge in the matter as you and acknowledge that we were all once in the same boat as you. I never thought I would get annoyed by a patient when they stuttered or stammered or waffled for ages off topic (probably because they were nervous), or dreaded seeing a demented patient, or avoiding certain patients because they talked too much etc, but it happens!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'll say it in this thread as well - this thread is not for discussion of doctors and morality. Please stay on topic.

ReputationRep:
    Edit: Sorry Hygeia, posted this before I saw your post

2.) Having your own morals is fine. The boundary is overstepped when you try and push them onto other people, as you do time and time again.

Methinks you need to take a step back and calm your views. You come across as a little hot headed. Whilst your dedication to moral purity is admirable (hence my rather light-hearted post of the knight) you must also remember that many people who are in your position also hold these views, as I am sure many medical students/doctors once did. Read the House of God if you don't believe me!

And in time, many medical students will find these noble ideals at least be shaped as they find out more and more about the job, as, let's be honest, as an applicant you are applying based pretty much on hearsay and expectations, rather than experiences and truths.

So, take what we say as being the voice of experience, rather than antagonists. Accept what we have to say as people who have a little more knowledge in the matter as you and acknowledge that we were all once in the same boat as you. I never thought I would get annoyed by a patient when they stuttered or stammered or waffled for ages off topic (probably because they were nervous), or dreaded seeing a demented patient, or avoiding certain patients because they talked too much etc, but it happens!
    Thank you very much for the valuable feedback. Honestly, I am really glad you have said that and it's actually helped a lot.

I think the problem here is probably how I come across. Genuinely, I don't want to force my views on other people, but I imagine, going by what many people have said, it often seems that way. If I disagree with someone morally then I will take up the point and try to argue why I take that view and why I think it's important. When I do this I'm only trying to show my view and, if the person I'm discussing it with comes up with a more valid argument I will change my viewpoint, and I can only hope they will too if the reverse happens.

It's good and reassuring to know that there are indeed other with similar views to me. Is it arrogant to say that I am trying to be morally pure? I mean, I don't want it to be, but honestly, I'm not going to lie when I say that that's what I want to do. However, I do not see it morally impure to say 'This will only be a scratch' when it won't be, so maybe the problem lies in different views of the definition.

Yep, I completely agree I am in a very naive position in comparison to many of you students and I'll try to not be as dismissive in future. I think it's probably a good learning curve I am experiencing by talking to you all but I also hope you can appreciate that I am what I am, and I'm sure I will take in a wealth of experience if I ever do get into med school and maybe I will change, but for now this is who I am and what I want to be.

ReputationRep:
    This happpened to someone at my Glasgow Interview while we were in the waiting room.
    Me: So, is Glasgow your first choice?
    Interviewer walks in ...
    2nd Kid: Naah. Edinburgh's first, then Dundee. Glasgow's my third choice.
    Interviewer calls him for the interview ...

Ouch

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.