ReputationRep:
    I've to do either a discursive or persuasive
    essay on a subject we feel strongly about i was thinking
    discursive on the existence of god
    any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for a simplier topic.

ReputationRep:
    tbh you could ramble for ages about why people believe there is a higher power and what that might be.
    good topic (Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Person99)
    Are you from Paisley?
    0_0 why

ReputationRep:
    That's good one. You could also talk about abortion, capital punishment, drinking/sex age, drugs...

ReputationRep:
    I tried doing one on religion in schools last year! It did not go well! For a discursive piece i would pick a subject you maybe don't have a very strong view on so that it doesn't accidentally turn into a rant ( Like mine did!)
    I would pick a simpler one if I were you because i don't think you'd be able to fit all arguments into one piece of writing, there are a million and one different views and religions and not just one idea of what God is! It would be really hard to do!
    What about one on if national service should be reintroduced? Or some topical thing that's in the news like 'has multiculturalism really failed?' Or you could talk about T.V., Does it exploit people? Things like Big brother, The X factor and recently My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.
    just a few ideas! I wish I'd had these last year!

ReputationRep:
    Choose a topic that you are very passionate about. Makes it easier to write on.

ReputationRep:
    Generally i feel discurssive essays are easier.

Only do a topic which you actually feel a passion for... If that makes sense. Ie, I'm doing scottish independence as i am quite interested in the topic, and feel passionate for scotland and therefore can scrutinise arguments for and against very well.

Good luck, hope that little tip helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    That's good one. You could also talk about abortion, capital punishment, drinking/sex age, drugs...
    We were told to avoid abortion, capital punishment and drugs as they are very over-used so it is harder to score well with them.
    OP: I did mine on voting age and why it should be lowered to 16. You would be better to do persuasive, as they tend to get higher marks, and you should choose a topic which you are interested in, but which isn't ridiculously common. And make sure that you can have facts/statistics as well as a solid line of argument for your topic, as the personal input really needs to be substantiated with strong evidence for you to get marks.

ReputationRep:
    I did one on EMA but then realised I only needed to do one essay anyway so discarded that one. But yeah I think you should do whatever you want to!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.