Turn on thread page Beta

If your life wasn't going to plan, would you consider suicide? watch

ReputationRep:
    Anon 2- I know you think you're trying to be helpful, but you're really not. This is debt we're talking about, it's not "only a bit of money" and you don't know how much it is. If the OP is seeking help from CAB then it must be quite serious. You do realise an overdraft is something you have to pay back right? I imagine it's quite stressful what the OP is going through.

OP I hope that you wouldn't consider taking your own life. It's a really bad path to go down. I can understand that you don't want to disappoint anyone but I'm sure they wouldn't be.

(Original post by hannah_dru)
    Anon 2- I know you think you're trying to be helpful, but you're really not. This is debt we're talking about, it's not "only a bit of money" and you don't know how much it is. If the OP is seeking help from CAB then it must be quite serious. You do realise an overdraft is something you have to pay back right? I imagine it's quite stressful what the OP is going through.

OP I hope that you wouldn't consider taking your own life. It's a really bad path to go down. I can understand that you don't want to disappoint anyone but I'm sure they wouldn't be.
    Thank you for understanding. It's not as if i'm worried over not being able to afford the latest designer handbag, it's more stressful and serious than that. I could lose my home, and there's no way i could move back with my parents after this.

I feel like im letting everyone around me down, but thanks. I don't think i'd want to inflict any more grief onto my family by taking my own life anyway. If they help me to pay off this debt, i'll probably work a lot and really hard so that i can pay every penny of it back, and then send them a cheque with the full amount.

ReputationRep:
    Death's worse than anything in life, no one should ever take their own lives, imagine eternal darkness or it could be something unbearable or it could be nothing at all :O
    Edit: I've also just been rejected on a date for v day, some would think about killing themselves for it, i just rant! How the hell are you seriously ill, got work and going to a family dinner! My arse!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I wouldn't, no. Once upon a time, yes, but now I know that I'm 100% in control of my own life - anything 'not going to plan' would be my own fault.
    You might be in control of your actions, but our actions can have unforseen consequences that we never intended. There are also many things that drive someone to suicide that we have no discernible direct control over i.e. the death of a loved one. Life can just deal you a **** hand sometimes.

But to answer the question, I find it very unlikely that I would. Though I would certainly entertain the thought if I was injured in an accident to the extent where life became an unmitigated chore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you for understanding. It's not as if i'm worried over not being able to afford the latest designer handbag, it's more stressful and serious than that. I could lose my home, and there's no way i could move back with my parents after this.

I feel like im letting everyone around me down, but thanks. I don't think i'd want to inflict any more grief onto my family by taking my own life anyway. If they help me to pay off this debt, i'll probably work a lot and really hard so that i can pay every penny of it back, and then send them a cheque with the full amount.
    Exactly, I imagine it's horrible. I hope CAB have been helpful and that it'll work out. I don't think you are because you're at least trying to take responsibility for everything now.

(Original post by hannah_dru)
    Exactly, I imagine it's horrible. I hope CAB have been helpful and that it'll work out. I don't think you are because you're at least trying to take responsibility for everything now.
    It's not very nice, but perhaps it's the wake up call i needed. For months now i've been waking up wondering when letters are going to come through demanding money which i haven't got. At least now i'm making more of an effort to sort it out. I talked to the national debt line this evening as soon as i got the letter, they advised me to see a student welfare officer to see if they could organise a payment plan between me and the halls of residences. I'm thinking of just paying them the money and then moving to somewhere cheaper to be honest. I've already applied for 6 jobs this evening, and am browsing websites taking contact details down for cheaper housing in the area. Thanks for listening anyway .

(Original post by Bolyolyoi)
    Death's worse than anything in life, no one should ever take their own lives, imagine eternal darkness or it could be something unbearable or it could be nothing at all :O
    Edit: I've also just been rejected on a date for v day, some would think about killing themselves for it, i just rant! How the hell are you seriously ill, got work and going to a family dinner! My arse!
    I suppose, but it's going to happen to all of us at some point or another.

Sorry to hear you got rejected when you asked someone on a date for valentines day. I'm rejected all the time by others, some agree to go on a date (or several) with me before they reject me. I'm just hoping that it's because they're making way for the right one in my life. Positive thinking hasn't done much in that respect though!

ReputationRep:
    SUICIDE is not an option, believe. positive mental attitude man!
    you know, there's still so many places to visit, so many books to read and so many girls (or boys, whatever) to shag, your problems are temoprary, i bet this time next year you'll be at least ALRIGHT.

ReputationRep:
    Anon or delete, please.

If your life wasn't going the way you wanted, due to circumstances both in your control and out of your control, would you ever consider taking your own life?

I can say, for the past two months or so, i am the unhappiest that i have ever been. Due to money troubles i stopped going to university. That has now escalated and i cannot go into university as am too far behind, and i am currently out of my depth trying to sort out money that i owe (i stupidly tried to ignore it for a while, however it has now escalated, so i am seeking advice from the citizens advice bureau, and national debt helpline etc.) It feels like an uphill struggle though. I want to move out of my current acommodation into something cheaper and get a full time job which i can work my way up in, however, i will need money for deposits. I can't ask my family for money, as i assume they think i am irresponsible with it - and i am really, but it's something im trying to remedy. These past two months have basically destroyed me. I've spent so much and gained so little. I've lost a chance to get a degree, i've destroyed my relationship with my remaining family who believed in me, and i'm now spending most of my waking hours worrying about money and how to pay back what i owe. In September, i felt so good about starting university, i was so sure it'd work out. It's funny how life twists and turns like that.

I don't really know why i'm writing this, i don't expect sympathy, and i know life is hard sometimes. It's just nice to talk to someone, and hope that they might be listening.

This isn't an attention seeking piece, i know that the title is dramatic, i didn't mean to imply i was on the verge of taking my own life. It's just, life seems to be an uphill struggle at the moment.

Thanks for listening, i'm sorry that my post was very long.
    Yes, I would commit suicide if my life wasn't going to plan. I do not think suicide is selfish or immoral; I think it is a human right to be able to do so.

However, in your case, I really would not recommend it. Now I don't know your life or how you feel, so I may get this completely wrong. But you sound that the problem is the money, and the money only, meaning that once that issue is over, you will be happy? It must feel overwhelming, but hold in there because your problem, however huge, is temporary. Don't forget that you still have a full life ahead of you; even if it doesn't turn out as planned.
    You still have the ability to make new plans..

Hang in there..

I was going to give you my own account of a whole bunch of **** that happened to me last year but the point I have is:

You don't know what's around the corner. Last year I thought my life was over and I wanted it to be, but somehow (in hidsight I'm shocked at the strenth I had) I got through it and now I'm back on track.

I sounds so simple when I put it like that doesn't it? Just a couple of short sentences. But, as I'm sure you know - it isn't easy and although people offer sympathy they can't stand in your shoes. You've got to be the person who pulls yourself together and crawls out of the mess because as depressing as it sounds, the honest truth is that no one else can ever fix your life for you - you're the one who has to wake up each morning and believe that you can change your life and nobody can instill that belief but yourself.

Somehow you've got to escape the mindset your in, that defeated feeling. You've got to keep going and sooner or later you'll have hindsight and feel like you've conquered something.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    all those who say committing suicide is selfish just have no idea of what's going through a person's head before they do it :rolleyes:

yes I would consider it. but don't OP, you can still find a solution.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I'm too laid back to even consider that. I suppose verging on lazy, you could say.

I'd just always say "Ah, tomorrow might be better so to hell with letting today piss me off."

I guess I'm a fan of mights and maybes. And tomorrows. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    no.

(Original post by lightburns)
    Yes, I would commit suicide if my life wasn't going to plan. I do not think suicide is selfish or immoral; I think it is a human right to be able to do so.

However, in your case, I really would not recommend it. Now I don't know your life or how you feel, so I may get this completely wrong. But you sound that the problem is the money, and the money only, meaning that once that issue is over, you will be happy? It must feel overwhelming, but hold in there because your problem, however huge, is temporary. Don't forget that you still have a full life ahead of you; even if it doesn't turn out as planned.
    You still have the ability to make new plans..

Hang in there..
    Thank you. Yes, money was my one main concern a few months ago. However everything seems to have spiralled out of control. I suppose it's worried me so much that i've mucked up my degree also (I've not been attending for a few months because i've been worried). I've kept it a secret that i've been in arrears with my rent as well, so now it's out in the open my parents are very angry at me, and i'm scared i've ruined my relationship with them. I've received so many angry voicemails from my dad, but i don't have the guts to return them just yet. Apparently i have 7 days to pay my rent otherwise they're taking legal action (and my parents found this out tonight.) So at the moment, i'm just lost i suppose. I'm trying to get back on my feet though, and am looking for a job and a cheaper place to live so that money isn't a main problem anymore.

I was going to give you my own account of a whole bunch of **** that happened to me last year but the point I have is:

You don't know what's around the corner. Last year I thought my life was over and I wanted it to be, but somehow (in hidsight I'm shocked at the strenth I had) I got through it and now I'm back on track.

I sounds so simple when I put it like that doesn't it? Just a couple of short sentences. But, as I'm sure you know - it isn't easy and although people offer sympathy they can't stand in your shoes. You've got to be the person who pulls yourself together and crawls out of the mess because as depressing as it sounds, the honest truth is that no one else can ever fix your life for you - you're the one who has to wake up each morning and believe that you can change your life and nobody can instill that belief but yourself.

Somehow you've got to escape the mindset your in, that defeated feeling. You've got to keep going and sooner or later you'll have hindsight and feel like you've conquered something.

Good luck
    Thank you, i'm just trying to hang in there. I've been just applying for jobs recently, and looking for cheaper places to live. In some ways im glad that my money situation is out in the open, it gave me the kick up the bum i needed to sort out a job and a cheaper place to live. Also, if my family knows about it, at least they can help (if they can afford to).

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Yes, money was my one main concern a few months ago. However everything seems to have spiralled out of control. I suppose it's worried me so much that i've mucked up my degree also (I've not been attending for a few months because i've been worried). I've kept it a secret that i've been in arrears with my rent as well, so now it's out in the open my parents are very angry at me, and i'm scared i've ruined my relationship with them. I've received so many angry voicemails from my dad, but i don't have the guts to return them just yet. Apparently i have 7 days to pay my rent otherwise they're taking legal action (and my parents found this out tonight.) So at the moment, i'm just lost i suppose. I'm trying to get back on my feet though, and am looking for a job and a cheaper place to live so that money isn't a main problem anymore.
    I say return the calls to your dad - yes he will probably have a massive go at you. Well, only return them when you can cope with that, but the longer you take worrying about it, the more you will be worried..
    If you've had a good relationship with them up til now, you won't have ruined your relationship with them! This may be a blip and a time of difficulty with them, but if they love you, they won't abandon you. Even if it takes a while for them to come round.

Is it possible to take your degree back up? Or if you are in say 2nd year, later on you may be able to re-enter in the 2nd year rather than taking the first again? So you won't have lost much. If not, remember that lots of people never take up a degree at all.

:/ What more can go wrong now? If it can't get much worse, it can only get better - it's spiralled out of control, but piece by piece you can get it back under control...

Could you possibly talk to your dad by phone or maybe even email him if you don't feel like talking to him yet. It might help you to sort something out with them.

ReputationRep:
    If I end up living an average life, with an average career, an average lifestyle in average surroundings then I'm pretty sure I will commit suicide. I'm too materialistic, the immaterial doesn't mean anything to me so I won't appreciate the 'finer things in life'.

(Original post by lightburns)
    I say return the calls to your dad - yes he will probably have a massive go at you. Well, only return them when you can cope with that, but the longer you take worrying about it, the more you will be worried..
    If you've had a good relationship with them up til now, you won't have ruined your relationship with them! This may be a blip and a time of difficulty with them, but if they love you, they won't abandon you. Even if it takes a while for them to come round.

Is it possible to take your degree back up? Or if you are in say 2nd year, later on you may be able to re-enter in the 2nd year rather than taking the first again? So you won't have lost much. If not, remember that lots of people never take up a degree at all.

:/ What more can go wrong now? If it can't get much worse, it can only get better - it's spiralled out of control, but piece by piece you can get it back under control...
    I really couldn't handle my dad shouting and being angry at me right now, i might wait a few days until he has hopefully calmed down. We have an ok relationship, we hardly argue or anything, but we're not really close. I don't like him knowing that i've mucked up, again though.

I don't know if it's really possible. This is the second time i am doing my second year, as the first time i dropped out of university because i was really miserable in the place i was in. Kind of makes me feel so much worse really. I dropped out of my second year once, retried it somewhere else, got in to serious debt and had to drop out again anyway! I'd have to pay the fees myself if i retry it for a third time, and i think it would be a bit disheartening anyway.

I suppose, everything that could go wrong has. Hopefully it will only get better.

Thank you for your advice by the way .

ReputationRep:
    Never say never, but no.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.