Turn on thread page Beta

If your life wasn't going to plan, would you consider suicide? watch

(Original post by thetopnotch)
    Could you possibly talk to your dad by phone or maybe even email him if you don't feel like talking to him yet. It might help you to sort something out with them.
    I could e-mail him, that's an idea. I just don't know what to say to him. I've basically hidden it from him for three months. I wouldn't know what to say without making things even worse.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I could e-mail him, that's an idea. I just don't know what to say to him. I've basically hidden it from him for three months. I wouldn't know what to say without making things even worse.
    Maybe if you wrote down a little bit of what you've written here in this thread then that would be a start. It might be the case that if you tell them something it could help rather hinder you especially if they could help you out with the money problems at least temporarily.

(Original post by thetopnotch)
    Maybe if you wrote down a little bit of what you've written here in this thread then that would be a start. It might be the case that if you tell them something it could help rather hinder you especially if they could help you out with the money problems at least temporarily.
    I suppose i should start picking out bits from this thread then. He already knows im in arrears and by how much, and the action that they're taken against me. He told me that there's no way he could afford it, and that he wants to talk to me. I'm not sure if he'd help me out, i don't know who else to ask, my mum earns a lot less than him and i don't talk to her. The thing is, he earns a lot but i feel funny asking him for money (even if it's just for the bus).

I'd change my name, cut all my ties and go somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Things aren't going well for me now, I'm not going to end it though.

I'd change my name, cut all my ties and go somewhere else.
    Is that easy to do?

Is that easy to do?
    I've actually just started a thread, as anonymous of course, about the subject and am just waiting to see how other people reply to that.

ReputationRep:
    You did say in one post that your dad had agreed to help with your rent but didn't. Maybe he's feeling guilty that you've got into this situation. Maybe you shouldn't rule out the idea of going home just for a while to help get your finances back on track. That would be the quickest option to sort things out if you could get a job and not pay rent for a time.

ReputationRep:
    I've considered it in the past but that's in the past. I would never consider it again. I've already been through some bad experiences, watched my best friend get run over and killed, dad died at 16, step dad died at 22 and I've been attacked and hospitalised twice. There isn't much more that life can throw at me to tip me over the edge as those experiences have made me stronger, and I know that something good can come from every bad situation.

I'm in debt with my student loan and I will be in much more debt by the time I've finished my training but at the end of the day, it's just money. What's the worst that can happen? go bankrupt? I can handle that. As long as I've got a roof over my head and food on the table, that's all that matters. At least I can say I tried. It needn't come to that though, that is just the worst case scenario, which very often, never happens.

Keep your chin up, all you need to do is go to the nearest library to read about people who have overcome incredible odds. Think about the guy in the film 'The Pursuit of happyness', he was practically homeless at one point and now he's a millionaire. Your life might be dark now but you never know what light there will be tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    No. Life never goes as planned...

ReputationRep:
    no its dishonourable however tough life is you should always stick it out

Also if the debt is so high you can get it restructured or if the worse comes to the worse declare yourself bankrupt and have a fresh start at life

ReputationRep:
    'not going to plan' is not a good enough reason for suicide. I doubt most people who commit suicide do it because things aren't going to plan, and it would be a shame if people do, because life changes in a heartbeat.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I have problems right now but they pale in comparison to other peoples' problems, so this puts it into perspective. And no I wouldn't consider suicide as it would hurt my family and friends too much.

ReputationRep:
    If I commit suicide my family will be happy because it will reduce their expenses, I will be free of any agony from coping with stress daily and only struggling with my impending doom, so why wouldn't I commit suicide it's the perfect escape I am defying god's will and beating the Grim Reaper to the kill. By commiting suicide I am forming the ultimatum of my existence.

Ofcourse I was only joking life Is such a tangible product, you can hang on a thread or live like a king by applying the element of luck and effort... so why end it before it EVEN STARTED!

ReputationRep:
    Nah suicide is a cowards way out ! MAN UP !

(Original post by sidi)
    You did say in one post that your dad had agreed to help with your rent but didn't. Maybe he's feeling guilty that you've got into this situation. Maybe you shouldn't rule out the idea of going home just for a while to help get your finances back on track. That would be the quickest option to sort things out if you could get a job and not pay rent for a time.
    Yes, at the beginning of term he said that he would help me pay for my rent, as i told him it was going to be more expensive than it had been previously. However, when i asked him to help me out he said that he didn't have enough money.

The thing is, if i went home I'd feel like such a failure. I'm scared that my relationship wiht my dad would deteriorate also.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar situation as yourself and I'll tell you how I coped.

First off the money thing follow the advice they give you about making minium payments until you can afford to pay it all back.

Second if you only get partial funding you may qualify for an access to learning fund.

Third contact the university and tell them what has been going on. I know it may seem embarrassing or daunting but a lot of students go through this so they are used to it. There may be a chance you could catch up with your work or take a leave of study and try again next year.

Fourth maybe a deep discussion with your dad might help. If you explain how you've been feeling he may be more sympathetic than you know. I know you may not want to tell him because you may feel like a failure or something but hey we're only human and we all make mistakes what's important is that we learn from them.

ReputationRep:
    Suuure why not (Y)

ReputationRep:
    I would never consider suicide. If things got that bad I would know things could only get better so it would be pointless. If you battle on, no matter how hard it is, there will be good times. If you kill yourself there won't be.

ReputationRep:
    My life is definitely not going to plan at the moment, but I'm not going to jump ship and commit suicide just because things have gone wrong. If everyone did that, humans will be extinct within the decade.

Nothing is irreversible, you can get out of these debt problems you are facing. Firstly, you need help (I see you have been phoning a debt helpline, which is a start) but you also need to talk to your family about this. It doesn't necessary mean talking to them will mean they'll bail you out of your situation, it just helps that you get an second opinion on your problems. Looking at problems at different angles can help solve them a lot more, not to mention the morale support you can get. There is only one shot at life (contrary to religious texts..) which makes it all the more important to solve your problems instead of running away from them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.