Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Feel so lonely after split from girlfriend watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I have no idea what im writing but I may aswell write as I have nothing better to do, so here goes....

About 2 months ago my girlfriend and I split up, we were together 3 years and I honestly thought that were were soul mates and that we would last forever. Now 2 months down the line she has another boyfriend and I feel that our relationship must have meant nothing to her. I miss having someone to hug and watch movies with (I know it sounds sad). I don't know what to do.. A feeling of absolute loneliness is the only way I can describe how I feel at the moment. I think about all of the good times that we had together and all of the beautiful memories and its really sad how relationships can end, How two people can go from being so close and sharing their entire lives with one another to then being nothing.

I have no clue what to do with my life. She was such a big part of it and now shes gone. After 2 months you would think I would be ok. I did great at college in my first year and have been acepted to great Unis, but now I'm sad and lonely and always thinking about what I could have had if maybe I tried harder at our relationship instead of working hard at college..

What do you do when your world gets pulled from under you? I was going to do this anonymously but you know what, i'm honelstly not bothered.

If you have any suggestions on how to recover please feel free to say. I really miss having someone and I don't know what to do...

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ISAAC W)
    Hi everyone,

I have no idea what im writing but I may aswell write as I have nothing better to do, so here goes....

About 2 months ago my girlfriend and I split up, we were together 3 years and I honestly thought that were were soul mates and that we would last forever. Now 2 months down the line she has another boyfriend and I feel that our relationship must have meant nothing to her. I miss having someone to hug and watch movies with (I know it sounds sad). I don't know what to do.. A feeling of absolute loneliness is the only way I can describe how I feel at the moment. I think about all of the good times that we had together and all of the beautiful memories and its really sad how relationships can end, How two people can go from being so close and sharing their entire lives with one another to then being nothing.

I have no clue what to do with my life. She was such a big part of it and now shes gone. After 2 months you would think I would be ok. I did great at college in my first year and have been acepted to great Unis, but now I'm sad and lonely and always thinking about what I could have had if maybe I tried harder at our relationship instead of working hard at college..

What do you do when your world gets pulled from under you? I was going to do this anonymously but you know what, i'm honelstly not bothered.

If you have any suggestions on how to recover please feel free to say. I really miss having someone and I don't know what to do...

Thanks guys

You were with her for three years- you can't expect to get over that in two months! it'd be acceptable to be still thinking about her at least everyday a year down the line. Don't think it's abnormal.

You say you're going to uni? You will meet someone. End of. You might not believe it now, but it's bound to happen. I know people that were together 4/5 years and split up when they started uni, because they met other people. You and her weren't meant to be, start looking forward to the future and trying to forget about it. You tend to remember the good things when you split up with someone, it's time to focus on all the bad things you can think of.

You'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    That sucks, I'm really sorry. :-(

All I can say is that I've been there and it hurt like hell for a good while afterwards. Don't beat yourself up over it. No one can tell you how long you'll need, so just take your time.

Make sure you spend lots of time with friends. Go out and enjoy yourself. The worst thing is sitting alone mulling over what went wrong. I think you have to keep busy to distract yourself.

You will feel better in time, I promise! x

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation. I made a thread yesterday actually, posted anon though
    I keep going through things in my head too saying maybe I should of done this or said that but maybe the relationship has just run it's course. You will move on eventually and will find someone else.

ReputationRep:
    I split up december 08. the xmas before i went to uni too. It hurt bad, really bad! she had a new boyfriend a month or so after too which hurt a lot. The key to me getting over it was simple, i didnt talk to her at all. deleted number, facebook etc there were times i was desperate to text her but resisted and was the best decision i ever made. She now has another new boyfriend, im at uni made lots of new friends and never talk to her anyway! seriously cut contact, its hard but you wont regret it. Get around your friends get pissed and have a laugh and you'll come out of the tunnel wandering why you were so down. For me it took me a good 5 months before i could say i wasnt bothered....but now, it really doesnt matter to me. Be strong mate dont become that desperate ex-boyfriend who she will dispise, swallow it and live on!

ReputationRep:
    Supposedly it takes half the time you were together to get over them.. Can't remember where I heard that.. I've got friends who've broken up with their partners months ago and they still feel like they don't wanna get with anyone. It just takes time, you can't really rush it.. Just try to keep busy if you can, do loads of stuff with your mates and you'll realise she wasn't the only thing you had in your life.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone..

I know I need to get over her and i'm sure I will eventually. I'm going out with a friend next saturday to this afterparty place, but I just don't feel ready to be having fun yet, you know. I don't know its wierd, im sure alot of people go through the same thing, i was just looking for a quick fix but I think that only exists in the movies.

Also we were so engrosed in each others lives that we ended up losing our friends, thankfully I got one back after we ended.. So unfortunately I cant keep myself busy with friends as iv'e only got one lol (this sounds really sad)..

ReputationRep:
    Keeping extremely busy is working for me.

ReputationRep:
    I recently split up with my boyfriend of over 2 years, if that makes you feel better in a way - it happens to us all and it hurts just as much. It's ok to feel bad and cry for a while, so don't deny yourself that.

Here are some tips and guidance from my own experience and my friends in regard to upsetting breakups:
    - Keep yourself surrounded by other people you care about: even if it's only your pet or your parent, don't allow yourself to be alone too much at a time like this. Plan nights out at clubs or gigs with friends if possible, as it does help.
    - Exercise. Swim, run, jog, walk, cycle..it helps your mind sort out problems.
    - Never let your feelings evolve into depression; if it comes to this, seek professional help asap
    - Keep a positive state of mind. Hold a positive view of the future, ie. you'll meet new people at uni, nights out with friends, etc. Also, write a list of things you're grateful for in your life no matter how small.
    - Keep your life going on. "The show must go on" is such a huge cliche, but once you get through the worst of the grief, you'll see how important it is to bear this in mind.
    - Don't let other people take advantage of you at a time like this. Breakups normally provoke feelings of low self-esteem and lack of confidence, and even people you considered friends can manipulate that.
    - Don't rush into a new relationship til you feel ready, to avoid hurting yourself as well as other people.

Basically learn to love your life and yourself again: have fun and feel good and think of how many amazing opportunities they'll be in your future.

Hope this helps please don't hesitate to message me or ask me if you'd like any advice or need to vent.

I'm in a similar situation as you OP, me and my girlfriend broke up 2 months ago, however, our relationship was no where near 3 years, I did however like her so so much and despite so much arguing, name calling, I still do. She was the first I ever liked, she became such a part of my life that I can barely like...concentrate on anything without thinking of her, I literally think of her all day, everyday. It's absolutely horrible! I just can't motivate myself to do anything any more. I wish I could give you some advice, but nothing seems to work for me =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm in a similar situation as you OP, me and my girlfriend broke up 2 months ago, however, our relationship was no where near 3 years, I did however like her so so much and despite so much arguing, name calling, I still do. She was the first I ever liked, she became such a part of my life that I can barely like...concentrate on anything without thinking of her, I literally think of her all day, everyday. It's absolutely horrible! I just can't motivate myself to do anything any more. I wish I could give you some advice, but nothing seems to work for me =/
    PM me if you like mate

ReputationRep:
    When people find others so soon after a long relationship i can't help but think they wanted out all along !!

ReputationRep:
    Keep yourself together dude, you seem like you're falling apart.
    She's just a girl, and I say that because no girl is worth being miserable over if the relationship didn't last.

You thought you were soul mates and would be together forever, that was your mistake. You expect too much, and chances are it would have failed so such expectations only leave you disappointed. See what happens when you start planning ahead and get ahead of yourselves? Feelings do that, they make you into a naive, delusional person blinded by emotions.

You miss the hugs and all that close compassionate stuff, and you can get that if you move on. The next time though, you can use this experience to do even better in the next relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ISAAC W)

Also we were so engrosed in each others lives that we ended up losing our friends, thankfully I got one back after we ended.. So unfortunately I cant keep myself busy with friends as iv'e only got one lol (this sounds really sad)..
    Life lesson. However much in love you are with a girl, never neglect your friends. Girls come and go but friends are here to stay..

ReputationRep:
    euromillions?????????????

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 12, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.