Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on applying for coffee shops by walking in with my CV. It'll be my first time so I don't quite know what to do lol. Well first of all, would I need a covering letter and should I put my availability on paper?

Any tips on how I should go about this?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I always just took my CV and gave it to the person serving. When I just wanted summer work I would put my availability on. I never got a response though

ReputationRep:
    they usually just give you massive application forms to fill out anyway so have fun!!

ReputationRep:
    Go in, ask if there is an application from instore... if yes, take it. If it's online, go home and fill it in.

Then, go and hand in a 1 page CV with the application form OR if the application form is online, just hand in your 1 page CV with a 1 paragraph attached sheet indicating such things as why you want the job, why you are suited to it, etc.

This is just what I'd do.

ReputationRep:
    If you're giving in your CV make sure you ask for the manager cos sometimes the cashiers don't remember to hand it over and it may get lost.

ReputationRep:
    Always use a covering letter, explaining your availability and why you think you'd be good at working for them. To be honest though, most places - especially coffee shops - want you to have filled out an application form instead.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, there's this coffee shop with vacancies which was posted in December on my university's careers website. It's probably gone but I'm going to try anyway lol. So, I'll walk in, ask for the manager, ask if there's any jobs and give them my CV and covering letter.

What about volunteering in charity shops? Do you think they'll require CV's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chez87)
    If you're giving in your CV make sure you ask for the manager cos sometimes the cashiers don't remember to hand it over and it may get lost.
    by lost you mean put in the bin.:ninja:
    McDonalds did that.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShaolinTemple)
    Alright, there's this coffee shop with vacancies which was posted in December on my university's careers website. It's probably gone but I'm going to try anyway lol. So, I'll walk in, ask for the manager, ask if there's any jobs and give them my CV and covering letter.

What about volunteering in charity shops? Do you think they'll require CV's?
    I didn't need a CV to volunteer for months lol. I just walked in, said can i help out. And bang there I was every saturday morning for months on end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FranticMind)
    I didn't need a CV to volunteer for months lol. I just walked in, said can i help out. And bang there I was every saturday morning for months on end.
    That's awesome. Where do you volunteer and what's your role?

ReputationRep:
    That's awesome. Where do you volunteer and what's your role?
    British Heart Foundation shop. I do pretty much everything from till, forms to sorting through donations.

ReputationRep:
    Did you need previous experience? Did you have an interview?

ReputationRep:
    Did you need previous experience? Did you have an interview?
    I didn't, I simply said I would like to help and they taught me how all the systems work.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yeah, I volunteered at BHF too. Charity shops are always looking for volunteers, so if you don't get anywhere with finding a job then volunteer as it will give you some useful experience.

ReputationRep:
    I normally take a CV in (have it out and ready to hand to them instead of faffing), find an available looking member of staff and say something the lines of: "Hi, I'm look for part time/full time/summer employment and was wondering if you have any job vacancies?"

If they say no, I usually ask if I can leave a CV with them anyway.

ReputationRep:
    the charity shops gave me a lot of pain, they'd ask for my national insurance no, or give me a leaflet with details on how to ask for an application form.. then came the CRB's and sh*t so i gave up!

ReputationRep:
    Do you think they will positions like kitchen porter require a covering letter? Most of the vacancies that I see just say come in with CV and availability. Some specifically ask for covering letter and CV though.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.