Turn on thread page Beta

What are some quotes that mean something to you? watch

ReputationRep:
    "Absent thee from felicity awhile, and in this harsh world draw thy breath in pain to tell my story."

"Animadverto decor in totus vita."

ReputationRep:
    Bill Hicks used to end his shows with this:

"The world is like a ride at an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think that it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly coloured, and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while.

Some people have been on the ride for a long time, and they begin to question - is this real, or is this just a ride?

And other people have remembered, and they come back to us. They say 'Hey! Don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride.' And we...

...kill those people. Ha ha ha. 'Shut him up! We have a lot invested in this ride. SHUT HIM UP! Look at my furrows of worry. Look at my big bank account and family. This just has to be real.'

It's just a ride. But we always kill those good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok. But it doesn't matter because: it's just a ride.

And we can change it anytime we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings, and money. A choice, right now, between fear and love.

The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourselves off. The eyes of love, instead, see all of us as one.

Here's what you can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money that we spend on weapons and defence each year, and instead spend it feeding, clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, for ever, in peace.

What goes around, comes around

All things happen for a reason

ReputationRep:
    “It is often easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.”

ReputationRep:
    . I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me, but its hard to stay mad when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much. My heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst. Then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain, and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life.

You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry. You will someday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    I don't use this phrase much, but oh my days.
    Haha thank you follow it and it should develop quite well I think :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    One finger cannot lift a pebble. - Hopi Proverb

Walk lightly in the spring; Mother Earth is pregnant. - Kiowa proverb

All who have died are equal. - Comanche proverb

Cherish youth, but trust old age. - Pueblo proverb

If you're lucky enough to be Irish, you're lucky enough - Irish proverb

Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion. - Scottish proverb

Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you fight with your neighbour. It makes you shoot at your landlord and it makes you miss him. - Irish proverb

ReputationRep:
    "I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to" - Jimi Hendrix

ReputationRep:
    "Some people blame our generation, but have they never stopped to think who raised us?"

ReputationRep:
    Blanche of Coronation Street to Ken (Ken is about to go to a school reunion): "Are you going to tell them that you wash dishes in a cafe for a woman who used to be called Harold?"

ReputationRep:
    The one in my sig
    and,
    Wise Men Don't Need Advice, Fools Don't Take It...

ReputationRep:
    The incomparably quotable Douglas Adams:

"A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.""

"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be."

ReputationRep:
    "You must be the change that you wish to see in the world" - Gandhiji

ReputationRep:
    Taken from my Facebook:

“Keep away from those who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you believe that you too can become great.”
    - Mark Twain

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
    - Joe Lewis

"Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself."
    - William Faulkner

ReputationRep:
    "ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country" - JFK

ReputationRep:
    "Happy he who learns to bear what he cannot change"

ReputationRep:
    "Everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it and the imagination to improvise." -Sylvia Plath's Journal.

ReputationRep:
    I have a couple quotes that I love:

I not only love to be loved, but to be told I'm loved~Marilyn Monroe
    He not busy being alive, is busy dying~Bob Dylan
    You pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find a lot of empty yesterdays~online quote
    Are you the dreamer, or the dream?~ ex-boyfriend lol
    and one of my personal favorites:
    you can never find the right person if you can never let go of the wrong, but at the same time the moment you feel like letting go, you remember why you held on so long, sometimes you have to forget what you want, and remember what you DESERVE!!!

ReputationRep:
    • "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." - Gandhi
    • "Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
    • "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
    • "If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there." - Lewis Caroll

I've been collecting a lot of quotes recently :yes:

ReputationRep:
    The quote in my sig from Tim Michin's 9 minute beat poem storm. It pretty much sums up my attitude to life.

Some other quotes I like from the same poem (because it's too long to post):

“Life is full of mysteries, yeah, but there are answers out there, and they won’t be found, by people sitting around, looking serious, and saying isn’t life mysterious?"

If you’re going to watch telly, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool, because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school they looked beneath the mask and what was inside? The janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history, every mystery EVER solved has turned out to be
    Not Magic." :cool:

Also, everything from 'The Suncreen Song' by Baz Lurhmann, especially 'Be kind to your knees; you'll miss them when they're gone." Good advice.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.