Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know by now that you're probably all sick to death of threads like these. =P
    This will probably be a long post. =(

Okay, well, I'm in Year 11, and I plan on doing either English Literature or French at university. I'm not entirely sure, I honestly can't think of a career that I think would be perfect for me. I wish I could. =S

Anyway, for A Level, I've decided that I'm definitely going to do:
    English Literature
    French
    & possibly Welsh Language/Literature

I'd like to do something more maths/science-y to balance these out, but i don't know what! For GCSE I'm predicted A in Maths. I dislike maths and I dislike my maths teacher. I really can't see myself enjoying or doing well in maths at a higher level.
    Then there's the Sciences. My teacher for Chemistry isn't the best, and I'm not sure how well I'm going to do at GCSE. I don't really want to do a difficult subject like Chemistry with the teacher I'd get, and I have no specific interest in it anyway.
    I quite enjoy Biology and I'll hopefully get an A or A* for GCSE. However, I absolutely despise dissecting dead animals and stuff, and I feel like fainting whenever we have lessons about veins and things. It's really annoying. I don't know how I'd fare at A-Level because of this.
    Physics I've ruled out because of Maths, even though I'm not too bad at it right now. The teacher is brilliant though, and I think he'd help me if I was struggling. I think I'd find it very difficult without Maths though. =S

Welsh - I'm pretty good at it and it's interesting, which is why I'm considering it. I think a lot of universities might unfairly dismiss it though.

Then what does that leave? I don't do History or Geography at GCSE, and I don't want to do RE. I'd rather stay away from blacklisted and soft subjects or BTECs.

I seriously can't think of subjects to do, and I'm so confused.
    I'd like for my two other subjects to be Maths and Physics, but I don't have natural talent for either really and I foresee two years of torture if I chose them. I really don't know. =(

If I had to choose right this minute I'd probably go for English Lit., French, Biology, Welsh...but they seem a bit random and unconnected.

Note: I know I've stressed my opinions on the teachers here, and you're not really supposed to judge subjects based on who's teaching them, but it matters to me.

Sorry for the long post. I'd love opinions and advice on this, even though obviously you can't choose my subjects for me. =P

ReputationRep:
    I hated Maths at GCSE too. AS/A2 Maths is alot better, mainly because your teacher's not a **** and you're not surrounded by stupid people. You should at least consider it - it's a pretty strong A-level choice and not alot of homework.

EDIT: All the teachers at my college are awesome, except this one Maths teacher I had. It was okay though, because I got to switch classes really easily. You can do that kind of thing at college!

ReputationRep:
    English, French, Biology, Maths

Maths AS is easy and you dont have to take it onto A2.
    Hardly any of Biology is dissection, and at my school you only do it if you want, if you dont want to you can have the lesson off.

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Dusty12)
    I know by now that you're probably all sick to death of threads like these. =P
    This will probably be a long post. =(

Okay, well, I'm in Year 11, and I plan on doing either English Literature or French at university. I'm not entirely sure, I honestly can't think of a career that I think would be perfect for me. I wish I could. =S

Anyway, for A Level, I've decided that I'm definitely going to do:
    English Literature
    French
    & possibly Welsh Language/Literature

I'd like to do something more maths/science-y to balance these out, but i don't know what! For GCSE I'm predicted A in Maths. I dislike maths and I dislike my maths teacher. I really can't see myself enjoying or doing well in maths at a higher level.
    Then there's the Sciences. My teacher for Chemistry isn't the best, and I'm not sure how well I'm going to do at GCSE. I don't really want to do a difficult subject like Chemistry with the teacher I'd get, and I have no specific interest in it anyway.
    I quite enjoy Biology and I'll hopefully get an A or A* for GCSE. However, I absolutely despise dissecting dead animals and stuff, and I feel like fainting whenever we have lessons about veins and things. It's really annoying. I don't know how I'd fare at A-Level because of this.
    Physics I've ruled out because of Maths, even though I'm not too bad at it right now. The teacher is brilliant though, and I think he'd help me if I was struggling. I think I'd find it very difficult without Maths though. =S

Welsh - I'm pretty good at it and it's interesting, which is why I'm considering it. I think a lot of universities might unfairly dismiss it though.

Then what does that leave? I don't do History or Geography at GCSE, and I don't want to do RE. I'd rather stay away from blacklisted and soft subjects or BTECs.

I seriously can't think of subjects to do, and I'm so confused.
    I'd like for my two other subjects to be Maths and Physics, but I don't have natural talent for either really and I foresee two years of torture if I chose them. I really don't know. =(

If I had to choose right this minute I'd probably go for English Lit., French, Biology, Welsh...but they seem a bit random and unconnected.

Note: I know I've stressed my opinions on the teachers here, and you're not really supposed to judge subjects based on who's teaching them, but it matters to me.

Sorry for the long post. I'd love opinions and advice on this, even though obviously you can't choose my subjects for me. =P
    English Lit., Biology, Welsh and French actually seems like a pretty strong combination...so long as you want to do something English/Language related...

As you can see on this list theoretically Welsh could be a strong first choice subject, and of course English Lit., French and Biology are:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...810355&page=12

You'll learn better if you're happy with your subjects and the environment you're taught in...and as you've got some good choices you don't have to worry about picking stronger ones. Talk with your biology teachers about what would be required in terms of practicals and if you could cope with it :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Just by the "D=" in the title, I recognised you, Dusty xD

I would ask your subject teachers for their opinions - you may be able to avoid dissections if you still want to do biology.

I think you can do history even if not taken at GCSE, as the topics covered are different, but you'd need your teachers to confirm this. I know at my school at least, anyone can pick up history if not done at GCSE, as long as you've got a B+ in English.

I wouldn't recommend subjects you definitely know you don't like - you'll be less committed to the work, even if you are naturally able. So although maths is generally a good basis for most courses, if you hate it now, it probably won't get any better.

Good luck in choosing ;D
    I had the easy option, I know exactly what I want to do.

ReputationRep:
    I hated Maths at GCSE too. AS/A2 Maths is alot better, mainly because your teacher's not a **** and you're not surrounded by stupid people. You should at least consider it - it's a pretty strong A-level choice and not alot of homework.
    Thanks, I will still consider it, but I reckon my teacher will still be unforgiving and unapproachable at A-Level. =S

Maths AS is easy and you dont have to take it onto A2.
    Hardly any of Biology is dissection, and at my school you only do it if you want, if you dont want to you can have the lesson off.
    That's a good point actually, I suppose I could give it up after AS if it was too difficult. I think I'll speak to my maths teacher and look at some AS past papers to see if I'd manage.
    And yes, I suppose they can't force me to dissect stuff. I'll still consider it.

You'll learn better if you're happy with your subjects and the environment you're taught in...and as you've got some good choices you don't have to worry about picking stronger ones. Talk with your biology teachers about what would be required in terms of practicals and if you could cope with it
    Thank you. I think you gave me good advice. =)
    And I think it IS better to choose subjects I enjoy and can do well in rather than ones that are impressive and that I might potentially fail.

Thanks everyone! I feel a lot happier about choosing now that I have more opinions. =D
    I'll definitely choose four out of these and drop one of the four after AS.
    English Lit.
    French
    Biology
    Welsh
    Maths

Thank you all again!!

EDIT - Hey TBJ! =P
    Yes, you're right. And maybe I'll still consider History.
    You're lucky you have such a clear idea of what you want to do!

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.