Turn on thread page Beta

How often do you skip going into uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I don't go uni yet, but wouldn't it be bad to miss days? Unless you're ill? Cos you are paying thousands of pounds for it, after all.
    but you'd also be paying thousands for your accommodation, so why not use it? :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    I miss about 25% I guess on average

(Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I don't go uni yet, but wouldn't it be bad to miss days? Unless you're ill? Cos you are paying thousands of pounds for it, after all.
    Lectures aren't useful for everyone, it depends how you learn.

ReputationRep:
    All the time. Doubt I've ever managed 100% in a week.

ReputationRep:
    Too often.

ReputationRep:
    I miss too many to be honest. The 9am ones are killers as are any lectures on a thursday (since wednesday is the best night out in Chelmsford and I'm always dead the whole of the next day).

We do have registers to sign and we get warnings about our attendance if it gets too bad. I haven't had one yet (somehow!) but I really am gonna start trying to get in a lot more next week!

(famous last words :lol:)

ReputationRep:
    I've had two 100% weeks so far. Ever (one of them was this week!!!!!!)

ReputationRep:
    I'd say I skip about 40% of lectures and seminars per week.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not at uni yet. But I've seen the '09 1st year timetable and, holy ****, I would like to predict that I will be missing an awful lot of 9am starts.

ReputationRep:
    My earliest start in a week is 1pm. So don't really miss too many. Unless I've been out and I'm really knackered. My timetable is pretty much setup to perfection, due to the fact that I'm a bum. It caters for my laziness. Although I've decided to take a couple more days off. Just for the fun of it

ReputationRep:
    I've missed one lecture in this whole year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nnnomi)
    I've had two 100% weeks so far. Ever (one of them was this week!!!!!!)

Haha, sounds like me, Im half way through year 2 and only ever had 100% attendance once in the year and half!

Id say I attend about 5/12 hours Im meant to do a week on average. I need to start going more but I work in a club till 4am so getting up for 9 is not easy!

ReputationRep:
    I attend less than 10% of the lectures I should attend. Since this semester started at the beginning of January, I have probably been in for 8 full days out of a possible 25. That's not yet less than 10%, but by the end of the semester it probably will be.

It doesn't affect my performance. In fact, I think it increases my performance compared to how I would do if I had full attendance.

ReputationRep:
    I try to make sure I go to all my workshops on a Tuesday and both seminars on a Thursday (8 hours in total) because a) they can tell when you're not there, b) we learn a lot more in these than anything else and c) we're doing group work at the moment so if I miss, everyone loses marks, not just me.

3 hours of lectures on a Monday though, I generally miss at least one (because they're useless) and I hardly ever go to the theory lecture on Wednesday because it's for all the btec people who did no theory on their courses, whereas I did a Media Studies A-Level and know it all already.

ReputationRep:
    Ive never realised how many people miss lectures!!! I never do it as I want my value for money and I dont have too many hours to spread this out. Last semester I missed one to sign for a house and thats all Ive missed. Had 11 hours last year and now I have even less at 8 hours so its not like I can miss so many as theres not many to begin with! If anything I like contact time as although lectures are normally pointless and the outside reading is the only must, I see friends so its too not bad.

ReputationRep:
    I rarely ever go to lectures. I've been getting good marks (a couple of 2:1s and firsts) so I'm not too bothered about missing them. My housemates go on at me for missing them, saying it's wasting the money I'm paying, but at the end of the day, I can get great marks by reading the powerpoint slides in my own time (which takes 30 minutes, so it saves me a good hour and a half) so they're no loss to me.

I never skip seminars (tutorials) though. I prefer that teaching style; small group, one leader. It's much more interactive.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I'm surprised by how much skipping there is :p: I'm too scared I'll fall behind to skip -- it's hard enough as it is without having to catch up on stuff I've missed.

ReputationRep:
    I've probably missed about 2-4 lectures total out of the entire time i've been to uni! :p:
    lecture notes are never posted online and attendence is always taken, anything that isn't a lecture you have to come in for otherwise marks are taken off you're end result. I enjoy the course anyways so not that big a deal (every days a 9am start though nd i live 15 miles away )

ReputationRep:
    Very rarely miss lectures. I'm paying to be here so skipping them is pretty counter-productive.

Occasionally don't go to labs if I know I can do the work from home.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I miss around 1-2 lectures/seminars a week.

ReputationRep:
    I practically miss all my 9am lectures cos i leave home too late :facepalm2:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2010
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.