Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How often do you skip going into uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Very rarely miss lectures. I'm paying to be here so skipping them is pretty counter-productive.

Occasionally don't go to labs if I know I can do the work from home.
    but what if you can do the lecture work at home? why go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dichr0ic)
    :beer:

ReputationRep:
    What is the point in paying all the money to go to uni if your not going to turn up to lectures. Missing 1 or two every few weeks is OK, but some of the people replying to this saying that they miss like 3 or 4 a week. Whats the point? Why bother going to uni? I only miss a lecture if I know that I already understand the concepts of the lecture from previous experience, or if I know the lecturer is rubbish in which case I will just read up on the subject myself.

What do you people do to get decent grades?

ReputationRep:
    I try to go to all of mine, but i missed 2 last semester, on for travelling back from somewhere and 1 because i was ill. I dare not miss anymore because i worry i won't be able to catch up or that they'll say something important that isn't in the online notes.

though last semester there was absolutly no point in applied maths as he just read out his lecture notes, which i discovered he posted online. i still went to his lectures though, just skipped hs tutorials i mean they were so pointless, he just read his solutions in a monotonous voice!

ReputationRep:
    I've missed one because of the snow and ice. I was absolutely petrified to walk in it as the day before i'd fallen over on it and really hurt my arm and knee. I';m scared to miss any, especially as ours seem to take registers a lot of the time!

Ruth xx

ReputationRep:
    Most universities are looking at cutting down the amount of contact time they provide students anyway as a result of the financial cuts. When they are paying lecturers and seminar leaders to take lectures and tutorials which are half empty, whats the point?

A better model would just be to provide more of the learning material online and get the students to do more learning from home. Most students would prefer the flexibility as it would allow them to stay at home more and not have the commitments of coming in, and it would allow the universities to save money on academic staff, or just let their staff focus on research rather than teaching.

I reckon over the next 5-10 years there will be a big shift away from traditional modes of attendance and with students required to turn up to fewer classes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    :beer:
    thank you thank you :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    I probably miss around 2 classes or lectures a term. I force myself to go in, because it makes such a big difference when I don't. I usually miss a class/lecture on the day I have lady problems.

ReputationRep:
    Rarely. One of my modules we have to sign attendance registers so that's 5 hrs a week i have to go to. One module is 6hrs assessed practical a week so i've got to go to that and then the 2 hrs of lectures seem a bit pointless but they never put the ppts on blackboard so i have to go along to see if there's actually anything important. My last module is only 3 hrs a week and quite interesting so i go to that. I'm quite lucky in the respect that i've only got 1 9am lecture a week and i have to go to it because it's one of those assessed practicals. Phew!

ReputationRep:
    You guys are diligent, probably not a suprise considering this is TSR.

My attendance this year is probably around 50%.

ReputationRep:
    I don't miss any lectures on purpose anymore (I did on a few occasions last term) but I do frequently miss the first lecture of the day, just cause I always go to bed at 4 at the earliest and so am too tired to get out of bed.

I also try to just miss the lectures that I know are pointless. (Like Envisioning information)... I don't get any work done on my own other than coursework so it doesn't make sense for me to just miss lectures. Plus in Maths it's different to some other subjects cause whilst there are some lecture notes they can be hard to understand if you haven't been.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matrix15)
    Tbh I think is 6 hours a week is too much work so I skip most of them, if it starts too early cba, if its late in the afternoon and i've been up all night i get too tired and won't go. oh and im not missing lunch for 1pm lectures. So probably miss 85% of my lectures.
    Whats the point of missing 85% of lectures when your paying for your tuition? :confused:
    Thats just wasting money imo.

ReputationRep:
    I've only missed two so far (first year) one because my train back was delayed and the other because the lecturer was crap and I knew I could get more work done just going over the content on my own. I don't have a huge amount of lectures/week (about 13/14) so I don't see the point in skipping them unless I have to, and luckily, I only had the crappy lecturer for two lectures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mau5)
    I miss more than I go in.
    Ditto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranbow99)
    Whats the point of missing 85% of lectures when your paying for your tuition? :confused:
    Thats just wasting money imo.
    What's the point in going to lectures that repeat what I did at A-level?

The first year is basically to get everyone up to the same point in terms of knowledge before they move onto the good stuff. If I could start from the second year I would. I get decent marks on my essays because of my own reading not their boring lectures.

ReputationRep:
    i got 6 lecturers a week so i just normally skip 1
    vietdoan20062006

ReputationRep:
    I try to go to all my classes. This term, I've missed one as I genuinely forgot [I thought it was at 1pm, but it was actually at 12pm] until about 30 minutes in when it was really too late. I copied up the notes though.

I figure that I don't really have that much contact time so I might as well attend the hours I have and get some guidance on my courses.

I know a lot of people who always skip things though. One friend hasn't attended a single lecture since the start of the academic year [he just goes to seminars] and others who don't even attend seminars [you tend to see them once out of a 10 week term, usually around week 5/6 lol]...

ReputationRep:
    I try to go to as many as possible, mainly because I find it quite difficult to catch up on old topics when we've moved on to new subjects. Illness and a big hockey tournament have been the only things that've kept me away.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to skive the occasional lecture every few weeks :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dichr0ic)
    I don't know how I can do being explained and taught things I don't know by somebody who does from home.:confused:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.