Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd descibe myself as slim and quite fit, but there's something odd going on when I exercise.
    I'm 132lbs and 5ft7.

I haven't gone to the doctor about it yet cos it isn't something I see as an immediate problem and I think they'll just tell me i'm unfit or whatever.
    Basically when I use the treadmill or crosstrainer I try to use the fat burn setting, but the machine soon beeps and tells me to slow my heart rate down to stay within the fat-burn zone.

My heart rate is sometimes at over 200 bpm!

I try to slow down but it's hard to do so since I wasn't going overly energetically in the first place.

Any ideas? Is this a health concern/medical issue or am I just really unfit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuperstar)
    I'd descibe myself as slim and quite fit, but there's something odd going on when I exercise.
    I'm 132lbs and 5ft7.

I haven't gone to the doctor about it yet cos it isn't something I see as an immediate problem and I think they'll just tell me i'm unfit or whatever.
    Basically when I use the treadmill or crosstrainer I try to use the fat burn setting, but the machine soon beeps and tells me to slow my heart rate down to stay within the fat-burn zone.

My heart rate is sometimes at over 200 bpm!

I try to slow down but it's hard to do so since I wasn't going overly energetically in the first place.

Any ideas? Is this a health concern/medical issue or am I just really unfit?
    How long does it take to reach that rate?i usually end up there right before i cant feel my legs ;p ...

ReputationRep:
    About 10-15mins usually. Then as you said I tend to get knackered and it's mind over matter from there on. But I feel bad though for carrying on when my heart is bouncing out of my chest like that, surely it's trying to tell me something?!? It's scary.

ReputationRep:
    Machine fault? When it says 200bpm, stop and take your pulse manually.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, when I hit 200bpm I know it, hit it a couple of times right at the end of my sprint intervals in HIIT.. At that point you feel faint, dizzy, will be gasping for breath etc..

It's probably a fault with the machine, in all likelyness.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.