Turn on thread page Beta

Do you ever feel like your mother/father or both treat you as you are their property? watch

ReputationRep:
    For instance they make decisions for you even though you are 18+
    Or TELL you do something rather than ASKING you to do something.

My mother always talks about me to people like I am her pet or something and ORDERS me to do stuff rather than asking for favours. FFS I am 18 now! She makes my decisions for me! :mad:
    I cannot even defend myself because if I do, she starts whining (which is something you wanna avoid for your own benefit.) Going on about how other daughters are so perfect and I am imperfect, and then she starts telling my brothers (who are 10 years older than me) Who have a go at me. (I am slighly intimidated by them)
    Worst of all she is planning and saving up for my 'marriage' when I have made it perfectly clear I DO NOT WANT TO GET MARRIED!!!!! Yet she says "No YOU WILL" :rolleyes:

Anyways, your stories?

ReputationRep:
    It's a hard life.

ReputationRep:
    Deal with it snshine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthandtragedy)
    Deal with it snshine.
    Lol, only thing I can do I suppose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c101)
    Lol, only thing I can do I suppose
    sorry im drunk :console:

Sounds like :bhangra: :turban: parents to me.

ReputationRep:
    No, not at all thankfully. I think my parents have always been way too soft on me and just allowed me to do whatever the hell I want pretty much. Although I love that, sometimes I think why they don’t tell me off when I do stupid things.

Good discipline is important too and makes you a better person later on in life I think. Anyway, I believe parents have a right to get you to do stuff for them. Yes it would be nice if they asked you rather then demanded it but really is it that big a deal? Maybe just have a word with them and let them know how you feel, they can't change if you don't tell them. They've looked after you for so long it's only fair they get something in return.
    Sometimes I wish my parents would tell me to do things for them but they never ask me. It's weird, I feel like I'm missing out

ReputationRep:
    If you live home, then you should only expect that they demand you to do stuff. However, parents shouldn't tell you what you should do in your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TuckingFypo™)
    wow is it me or the guy in your sig has got huge stomach but disguised it very well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camlon)
    If you live home, then you should only expect that they demand you to do stuff. However, parents shouldn't tell you what you should do in your life.
    But that is the thing I don't wanna live home, I want to move away. But my mother says "No you can't" and it is not easy for me to go like that because my mum will probably go on about bringing "shame to the family" etc etc.
    But thanks for the help anyways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TuckingFypo™)
    Nah I don't BUT

(Original post by Numberone-outkast)
    wow is it me or the guy in your sig has got huge stomach but disguised it very well.
    Yeah, pretty sure that's a huge stomach. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    I can do pretty much what I want since I've turned 18.

ReputationRep:
    Your parents will treat you like an adult when you take up your issues with them rather than whining to the internet

ReputationRep:
    Survive until you go to uni until then deal with it they are 'your parents'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c101)
    But that is the thing I don't wanna live home, I want to move away. But my mother says "No you can't" and it is not easy for me to go like that because my mum will probably go on about bringing "shame to the family" etc etc.
    But thanks for the help anyways
    Tell them that you are an adult now, and it's time for you to decide your own life and move out whatever your mom says. It's your life, not theirs.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't keep contact and visit them though. They will get over it.

I'm moving from Norway to New Zeland. Can't say that my parents approve my decison, but they have accepted it, and I have promised to see them in the summer and winter break.

ReputationRep:
    No. Not now, not when I was a child, not ever.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.