Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chinese guys training blog (Bill Starrs 5x5) Watch

ReputationRep:
    So **** it, I'm ill and stuck at home on a friday night... so what better time to waste than to create my training blog now.

I'm in week 4 of bill starrs so hitting all my previous maxes this week:

142.5kg x 5 Low bar back squat

85kg x 5 Flat BB Bench

150kg x 5 Deadlift - (Did these today with straps.... felt easy havn't DL max in forever... rounded lower back a bit though ~~)

65kg x 5 Pendlay row

46kg x 5 Mil. Press (Have a lot more to give)

Bodyweight : 85kg @ 5"11

Diet... nothing spectacular.. in fact its a bit ****... need to clean it up... its in the region of 3500 - 4000 kcal a day... but I'm not really bulking anymore, as long as I'm getting stronger who cares!

Oh and I do curls now... purely because my arms (biceps) are like sticks compared to my torso/legs/ass ect

lil DL video from today...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo2C64L8N7I

For those who are inevietably going to comment on the use of straps... my grip fails after 3 or 4 reps at this weight, so no point in holding back the rest of my body because of this.... Also means I can focus on form more without worrying about the ****** slipping through my finger tips. (Not to make excuses but I was sweating after 105kg squat.... had a fever last nigh ¬¬.... so form is a bit iffy but my back hasn't injured yet so meh)

As for the squat videos... my latest one has the depth, although its filmed from a high angle... next time camera will be placed in line with where parallel is like Smeds.

Not much else to say.... will try making the vids/posts more interesting. XD

ReputationRep:
    I've *just* hit all the maxes.... next session should set me up to break them next week, fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    Other than commenting that this looks like it should be a solid blog (good starting point, good routine, plenty of food), I feel that I should really tell you to man up on the rows and OH presses! Looking forward to some good progress here. I've not done any 5x5 lifts in ages but that's how I started out training properly and I packed on plenty of mass and strength.

Also, regarding the deadlift video - why aren't you deloading between reps? Seems like a recipe for back trouble and bad form.

ReputationRep:
    Are you a beginner because those lifts are pretty damn impressive if you are...

ReputationRep:
    haha thanks, but some things are the way they are right... you train as hard as you can and ultimately everyone has strength and weaknesses. I'll be honest by back/biceps are underdeveloped, though I've been throwing everything at them. OHP should be higher... I've done more before but taking it slow.. like 1kg a week.

Not really sure about my P. Row form... like everyone says its fine but I think its a bit **** on high weights... like I can rip it up fine, but my torso moves... which is totally wrong.

And I've been traning 14 months...

This is my 3rd routine, after SS and WS4SB... and I plan to move to smolov after this cycle of BS.

Started at 67kg BW, and 60/45/60 for big 3!

(Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Other than commenting that this looks like it should be a solid blog (good starting point, good routine, plenty of food), I feel that I should really tell you to man up on the rows and OH presses! Looking forward to some good progress here. I've not done any 5x5 lifts in ages but that's how I started out training properly and I packed on plenty of mass and strength.

ReputationRep:
    Pss all my training vids are on the utube channel, though not ordered particularly... the a lot are from last year.

ReputationRep:
    my torso also always wants to move up when doin p rows too, i hate em.

Anyways cool video dude, try to rest a few secs between each rep so you're lifting it from a dead stop.

Cool story brah. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    So **** it, I'm ill and stuck at home on a friday night... so what better time to waste than to create my training blog now.

I'm in week 4 of bill starrs so hitting all my previous maxes this week:

142.5kg x 5 Low bar back squat

85kg x 5 Flat BB Bench

150kg x 5 Deadlift - (Did these today with straps.... felt easy havn't DL max in forever... rounded lower back a bit though ~~)

65kg x 5 Pendlay row

46kg x 5 Mil. Press (Have a lot more to give)

Bodyweight : 85kg @ 5"11

Diet... nothing spectacular.. in fact its a bit ****... need to clean it up... its in the region of 3500 - 4000 kcal a day... but I'm not really bulking anymore, as long as I'm getting stronger who cares!

Oh and I do curls now... purely because my arms (biceps) are like sticks compared to my torso/legs/ass ect

lil DL video from today...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo2C64L8N7I

For those who are inevietably going to comment on the use of straps... my grip fails after 3 or 4 reps at this weight, so no point in holding back the rest of my body because of this.... Also means I can focus on form more without worrying about the ****** slipping through my finger tips. (Not to make excuses but I was sweating after 105kg squat.... had a fever last nigh ¬¬.... so form is a bit iffy but my back hasn't injured yet so meh)

As for the squat videos... my latest one has the depth, although its filmed from a high angle... next time camera will be placed in line with where parallel is like Smeds.

Not much else to say.... will try making the vids/posts more interesting. XD
    Thought you could row more than me brah?
    Still solid work on your lifts man, form looks god on deads but as someone else said i would pause a bit inbetween reps just to dead the weight completely instead of building up momentum

ReputationRep:
    lol I don't even know what happened on the DL... forgot to think about form.. was just thinking... gotta pull the ****** up and get this done, I have a 140kg DL vid too... from dead stop, didn't think it makes that much difference, not like it was bounced.

What do you row? I doubt 65kg is my max... there is a vid of that too!... In fact I can back up every e-stat

(Original post by ellingham)
    Thought you could row more than me brah?
    Still solid work on your lifts man, form looks god on deads but as someone else said i would pause a bit inbetween reps just to dead the weight completely instead of building up momentum

ReputationRep:
    lol I will do next time... hate heavy deadlifts... didn't do them for ages untill 3 weeks ago, suprised it was fairly easy though. Back feels tired now

(Original post by cowsforsale)
    my torso also always wants to move up when doin p rows too, i hate em.

Anyways cool video dude, try to rest a few secs between each rep so you're lifting it from a dead stop.

Cool story brah. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Sub'd

Nice, we're pretty close on a lot of these lifts; though you're a bit higher than me.

+1 on starting each DL rep from a dead stop. You're back looks fine on all of those reps, I couldn't really see any rounding. Have you tried chalk yet? There's an outdoor shop next to my house that sells climbing chalk for £2-£3, I can pick some up for you if you like. Also, on the deadlift, try getting the bar closer to your legs and over the middle of your foot before the pull. Right now it's closer to your toes and as soon as you lift it, it swings backwards to the middle of your foot and on your legs. That might be wasting some effort during the pull, but then some people pull better that way. Play with it and see.

As well as curls, throw in some dips, chins and pullups too; they'll build your arms but also your upper back as well. I've just started doing them the past couple of weeks and I'm already seeing a difference.

ReputationRep:
    Are you squatting a friend over your shoulders in your avatar? lol

ReputationRep:
    Sub'd.

I squat my brothers when we're on holiday. The heaviest of them only weighs 80kg though :o: Skinny *******s.

ReputationRep:
    thats my dad.... 96kg RAW ass to grass in the middle of paris outside the LV shop.... just cos there were no squat racks around.... only smiths...

Later on I made him hold onto 16kg dumbells so it was nearer my work set XD

The chalk would be awesome, would be great if you could get it because I lost the ball I bought from the gym... and I hate how messy it is squeezing a ******* ball and having half of it end up on the floor...

Though Like i said I don't really feel comfortable doing DL 5 rep max with mixed grip even with chalk.... because its so off putting when you loose grip... its like you can't finish your set.

I can mix grip or even hook grip 140kg for 5.... but for this weight... i wasn't really sure... need to do some grip wrk. Also I used to pull right against the shin at the start... but its ****** up my shins... now I pull close but not touching at the start and halfway up the shin it starts scraping..... I myt start touching the bar... doubt it'll make too much difference. I do dips and am supposed to do hyperextensions as well (but Don't)

Sami I think you should serioiusly start thinking about doing RDL's when your squatting light/doing normal DL's.

I don't do them on BS but I'm thinking about replacing Hypers with them (not the same... but I value romanian DL much more) I mean I didn't care about it till start of term when I did them and my squat shot up... It will help you keep your torso upright which is what normally screwed me over.... also your hamstrings should be very underdeveloped if you never worked them direct....

Its all the rage now in ethos.... sanjay, polish guy, most of the serious lifters started doing them 3 - 6 months ago.... you should too soon enough, (probs not a problem yet) but soon you'll find the weight trying to crumple your torso and you'll need an answer!

ReputationRep:
    lol just like in the gym you need to "load" your barbells with anything heavy around... car tires, dumbells, lugguage ect!"

(Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Sub'd.

I squat my brothers when we're on holiday. The heaviest of them only weighs 80kg though :o: Skinny *******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    lol I don't even know what happened on the DL... forgot to think about form.. was just thinking... gotta pull the ****** up and get this done, I have a 140kg DL vid too... from dead stop, didn't think it makes that much difference, not like it was bounced.

What do you row? I doubt 65kg is my max... there is a vid of that too!... In fact I can back up every e-stat
    I can row 75kg for 3 sets of 5, only been training 4months mind you so you got 10months on me. Your deadlift was pretty sweet man, just if you wanted to improve it a little further then it would be perfect. And about the chalk thing, myprotein.com sells liquid chalk for like 4 quid or summut, lasts absolutley ages, i reckon you could get a years worth from two bottles. I know alot of gyms dont allow standard chalk.

ReputationRep:
    Well I've not been rowing 14 months... Only since october. I've been squatting 14 months that's y it's high compared to bench. My curls are even worse... Only been curling for 1 month on and off... Need those to catch up. On the chalk... It's allowed but like I said for max effort I'd rather nt hav it limit me... Straps are much better..

ReputationRep:
    When are you gymming next?

(Original post by SMed)
    Are you squatting a friend over your shoulders in your avatar? lol

ReputationRep:
    Maybe Monday at lunch time, not sure though. I'm based in Hammersmith on monday and would have to try and tube it over during lunch and then go back to Hammersmith.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I can't powerclean for ****! Even though I got some PB's.... 80kg felt kinda light my form is SHOCKING....

And these are nearer dead hang cleans.... like I try dipping to mid thigh then explode up... where the 2nd pull begins but as you can see its just a total mess! Need to bang my hips like in squat rather than just jump up....

50kg:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmYwFgrGjOY

80kg single:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZjSds9C79w

This was at virgin active... was trying to train a noob mate so agreed to go. THE PLATES THERE ARE TINY..... but i promise its (2 x 20kg, 2 x 10kg, 2 x 5kg and the bar weighed 10kg to make 80kg... I'll retake it in a proper gym in a few days)

Any feedback on the PC would be great.... in particular how to use hamstrings and the glutes

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.