Turn on thread page Beta

Chinese guys training blog (Bill Starrs 5x5) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    lol u joker, so now we're doing full olympic lifts in ethos!! tbh I do feel very comfortable in ethos... kinda know most of the trainers ect...

Yesterday I got changed in the squat rack cos the lockers were full.

ReputationRep:
    wtf? lol Why just go down stairs? There are **** loads of lockers around the pool area; both dry and wet.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, 80kg including the 2.5kg training plates, held up pretty well with fast drops. The training plates didn't distort much at all, and looked like they could hold more weight.

ReputationRep:
    I did go downstairs.... and I lied there were one or two lockers... but normally I take my back pack in... cos I have no pockets and need to carry:

Straps
    Chalk
    banana's
    water
    Iphone
    Physics textbook for reading in between sets

So i figured its just quicker to get it all done in the squat rack and not bother with the lockers... good system. I squatted in my boxers once at the beggining of term too... its fine noone says anything.

So did you have 20kg plates on as well, and are they smaller than the training plates? Eleiko bar in under a week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    I did go downstairs.... and I lied there were one or two lockers... but normally I take my back pack in... cos I have no pockets and need to carry:

Straps
    Chalk
    banana's
    water
    Iphone
    Physics textbook for reading in between sets

So i figured its just quicker to get it all done in the squat rack and not bother with the lockers... good system. I squatted in my boxers once at the beggining of term too... its fine noone says anything.

So did you have 20kg plates on as well, and are they smaller than the training plates? Eleiko bar in under a week
    Genius.

No, I used 15s and change for the C&Js and just the 10s and change for SNs. Having the 20s on would defeat the purpose of putting the training plates.

Can't weight for the Eleiko. Oh, and that bar is NOT to used for squatting. At least not from the good cage/rack. The metal pins will tear up the knurling like it has on the other 3. The rack by the treadmills should be okay because the pins have hard plastic pads. But really this is an Oly bar and should probably just be used for off the floor lifts.

ReputationRep:
    We need to campaign for 4 bars in the weights area at once. And yeah.... its more a joke I don't actually learn much... I just like the image it gives off... reading under the squat rack with a few plates loaded.

Can't waaaait to starting learning oly lifts properly... hmm maybe I'll attempt to clean pull 2moro

ReputationRep:
    Session from today.

Worked up to

Squat:

152.5kg x 3 PB fairly easy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OF48ozJeio

Video courtesy of SMed's training partner moys.... He also let me use your belt for the last set.... it feels goooood haha
    110kg x 8

Bench:

90kg x 4
    65kg x 8

Pendlay Rows:

72.5kg x 3 PB
    60kg x 8

ReputationRep:
    actually I lie.. the squats were fairly tough... played 5 a side football b4.... stupidly.

ReputationRep:
    Nice banana shoes. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Moiz is kinda funny. Nice squats; they looked strong to me.

ReputationRep:
    Session from today.

Worked up to

Squat:

152.5kg x 3 PB fairly easy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OF48ozJeio

Video courtesy of SMed's training partner moys.... He also let me use your belt for the last set.... it feels goooood haha
    110kg x 8

Bench:

90kg x 4
    65kg x 8

Pendlay Rows:

72.5kg x 3 PB
    60kg x 8
    Nice squatting :top:

ReputationRep:
    thanks... the banana shoes are indoor football ones.... converses ftw.. and the belt made 60 feel like it was just the bar on its own... I'm defo gonna buy one.

Though i felt a lil faint towards the end. At least squats are still going up up. Shame my rows/bench are balls.

ReputationRep:
    thanks... the banana shoes are indoor football ones.... converses ftw.. and the belt made 60 feel like it was just the bar on its own... I'm defo gonna buy one.

Though i felt a lil faint towards the end. At least squats are still going up up. Shame my rows/bench are balls.
    What belt did you wear?

I know how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the first warm ups with the bar, I do a super hard valsalva just to get used to the pressure and subsequent pressure drop afterwards. I get light-headed in the beginning, and that goes away for most of the rest of the warm up. The first time using the belt might get you a little dizzy at first, but you get used to it and the sensation dwindles.

I take it Moiz showed you how to push into into the belt and all that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gone Revising)
    What belt did you wear?

I know how you feel.
    My Zulu Glove. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    My Zulu Glove. lol
    lol, thanks

How many of you share that belt?

ReputationRep:
    3 of us at the moment. Possibly 4 in the near future.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, it was SMeds belt... i think its a pullem? And yeah it sucks have bad everything apart from glute genetics

(Original post by Gone Revising)
    What belt did you wear?

I know how you feel.
    yeah moiz did show me where to wear it and how tight... and also to tense the abs/breath in...

tbh for a single its fine.. but for the set of 8 at the end I felt slightly light headed at the end.

Feels good though.... defo a lot stronger, gonna do some more research into it before using it for heavy sets.

(Original post by SMed)

ReputationRep:
    btw the guy in the background staring at me creeps me out.

ReputationRep:
    btw the guy in the background staring at me creeps me out.
    Me too. He does that **** all the time. It's funny (scary?) when you didn't know he was doing that until you watch a video back. :woo:

Read those links I gave you. And don't belt up for the first time on your work sets. It will change the dynamics slightly and you will have needed to practice it a little. But it doesn't take long to learn at all. It should tack on 10kg to your current lifts. You should notice your abs have some DOMS after a good session. That's your "abs/core getting weaker". lol :rolleyes:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.