Turn on thread page Beta

Chinese guys training blog (Bill Starrs 5x5) watch

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, will do... I mean today it did feel pretty fantastic... dunno if it gave me a false sense of security.

Although I intend to start seriously using a belt after I hit 180 for a single... may sound stupid to you.... don't ask me why... but its just sthn I wanted to do, afterwards I'm sure the belt will help me... especially during my first smolov cycle XD. I am serious about training, and I know it makes sense to belt up asap... but I'm weird like that lol.

(Original post by SMed)
    Me too. He does that **** all the time. It's funny (scary?) when you didn't know he was doing that until you watch a video back. :woo:

Read those links I gave you. And don't belt up for the first time on your work sets. It will change the dynamics slightly and you will have needed to practice it a little. But it doesn't take long to learn at all. It should tack on 10kg to your current lifts. You should notice your abs have some DOMS after a good session. That's your "abs/core getting weaker". lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No, it doesn't sound unreasonable to me. I just don't like it when people get the wrong impression of what a belt is for, how it works and what happens when you use one.

ReputationRep:
    i think you could hit serious weightage for your squat, you make 150x5 look like a piece of piss.

shame belts cost as much as they do but if you wanna hit big numbers quick, buy one

i am loving doing beltless squats atm tho. you must have a strong core ; )

ReputationRep:
    nice squatting

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I ain't squatting nothing yet ... for some sick reason 4 plates isn't even my target anymore.... I want moaar!!

ReputationRep:
    Haha

When are you going for the 1 rep anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Well when I hit 160 for 5 it should equat to 180 single so I guess after that session which should happen after 3 weeks.. Then I'm off starrs and onto smolov ( after 1rn test) my plan is to belt during smolov to make it easier

ReputationRep:
    See with me, when I hit 180 for 1, I really don't think I could have hit 160 for 5.

My 1 rep is a lot higher than what I can rep

But yeh 160 for 5 should give you a 180

Yeh i'd advise smolov with a belt, it hurts enough so anything to help is a blessing from god

We should be hitting smolov around the same time if you're doing starrs first. Ill be starting around mid June time

ReputationRep:
    Lol I c... I'm like that too... The 1rm calc tells me the minimum I can do.

Starting smolov shuld b cool... U done it b4?? I think we should make it a race to the current world records

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    Lol I c... I'm like that too... The 1rm calc tells me the minimum I can do.

Starting smolov shuld b cool... U done it b4?? I think we should make it a race to the current world records
    Lol theres no chance me making it to the world records in the next 10 years, not at my weight haha

Yeh I've ran the base mesocycle, I'm sure ive told you all this already though lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by commandant)
    Lol theres no chance me making it to the world records in the next 10 years, not at my weight haha

Yeh I've ran the base mesocycle, I'm sure ive told you all this already though lol
    Did you have a log when you ran Smolov? If so, is it online? I'd be interested in reading.

ReputationRep:
    lol its a good target to set tho imo... even if we are no way close to getting it... I mean sure you can set short term targets, but at the end of the day there's no goal weight which you'd be happy with long term for the rest of your life... e.g. you get 220kg you'd want more right? Also might sound like balls... but the RAW drug free records aren't that high I don't think

(Original post by commandant)

ReputationRep:
    Also just had a realisation/epiphany in the bath just now.....

Maybe my bench is so **** because I always do it after heavy squats... e.g. the squats take away from my CNS and I'm drained to bench with full power. What do you guys think?? Any guys here with **** bench and ok squat tried swapping the order of the lifts>?

ReputationRep:
    Which is more important?

ReputationRep:
    All things considered squat... But ATM the difference in my bench and squat is approaching 2 plates... It's ridiculous. and it'd be nice to bench more... Some part of me wants to hav a massive bench.. It's the one everyone else cares about lol

ReputationRep:
    On a related note my bench has kinda stalled... Got 87.5 couple weeks ago and last 2 bench sessions only managed 90 for 4. - both of these equate to 98 for 1. Assuming I miss 90 for 5 on monday WTF do I do

ReputationRep:
    I can't really see changing the order of squats and bench doing much

Ive always benched after another heavy compound, and its always been fine. Fair enough deadlifting after squatting, that might be affected, but I don't think the squat does anything to my bench performance

either drum your assistance work - heavy tricep stuff - floor press, CGBP, board press sticking point, tate press etc etc

or try benching more often - this seems to work well for me, I do no assistance for bench, but I do bench 3 times a week

try different methods - when I was stuck on the 85kg plateau, I tried DC rest pausing. This worked wonders and got me up to 105ish - you get the weight you can do for about 8-10 reps, have a 10 deep breathe break, then do as many reps as you can - usually 3-6, then another 10 breathes, then you'll get 1-2 reps - this is 10000% effort - Cycle this method for say 3 different chest exercises - flat bench, incline and say close grip -

so say for example you do flat, incline, CG - it would be monday flat, then friday incline, then monday CG, then when you get to friday again, you HAVE to beat your last bench record, whether by 2 reps or more weight - so go for say 12 reps on the first mini set - or add an additional 2.5 - do this for every exercise so theres constant progression, and usually no stalling for a while because of the cycled exercising

Umm other things you could try - 5x5 will probably sort you out, that usually gets peoples weights moving, just make sure you reduce it correctly for the first few weeks

work on technique - that can usually add a few kg if you're doing it wrong, look on youtube for dave tates bench press cure, its there somewhere

think thats about it! hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    ThNks some very good tips there. Have u done madcow/starrs?? Hw wuld u work those tactics in??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    ThNks some very good tips there. Have u done madcow/starrs?? Hw wuld u work those tactics in??
    yeh i've done madcows

well since you've never done madcows before, the program itself should be enough to get you past your current plateau, so long as you do it properly with the numbers

ReputationRep:
    I'm about 6 weeks in and I've Plateau'd... so I just reset or keep trying for 90 for 5

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.