Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by redbuthotter)
    I'm about 6 weeks in and I've Plateau'd... so I just reset or keep trying for 90 for 5
    Oh sorry haha

Yeh try resetting back 2 weeks. Its inevitable stalling at some point on madcows

If the reset doesn't work, change your programming for benching

or you could perhaps change it now, instead of the monday and friday bench sets - do something like I suggested. Perhaps rest pause techniques, or focus more on the accessory work

ReputationRep:
    Interesting session today...

Squatted up to 152.5kg for 5... but "feared" failure and didn't focus on technique... resulted in my not getting depth.

so PB.... but not a full squat.

Squat

140kg x 2
    152.5kg x 5 PB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy8P488Ma7c

These were high.... was pretty pissed off with myself, so found out what 152.5kg for 5 equates to for 1 rep (using the starrs spreadsheet).

Turns out 152.5 x 5 = 172.5 x 1

Didn't attempt the 152.5kg again because it was v tiring... 1 rep is easier energy wise.... I just wanted to see if I had the strength

Tried 160kg x 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywcx8-dPLf4
    - depth could have been better... though its a bad angle.

Then onto 172.5kg x 1 PB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QefrL_iR14E

nice and deep... slow but I'd like to think it was because I was tired.... Think I'm moving onto 155kg for 3 then 5 next week.

Onto Rows because bench was taken for ages:

62kg x 5
    72kg x 5 ugly form... going to do 60 - 70 for a while for more sets

BB Bench:

Feeling weak now.. didn't even know if I should attempt the 90 for 5.

60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 5 PB

WOOOOOOOP got the ****! First 3 reps it felt like 80kg.... I thought it was misloaded.... the 5th was pretty easy too. Probs wouldnt have passed in PL contest... my butt lifted on the last couple reps. Touched to chest each time obviously.

All in all a mixed day... will focus on squat more next time, get caffiene

Finish off with a video of white boy pressing 57.5kg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgLvlwqxMWE

ReputationRep:
    172.5 looked good. You're very, very close to 180. And definitely 180kg with a belt.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, I reckon the 172.5 woulda been a lot more comfortable without the 152.5 f*ck up attempt. Lets hope 155 for 5 doesn't crush me next week.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, forgot about that. 172.5kg looked like a near 1RM. Had you been fresh, you'd be pretty close to 180kg right now. I've had work sets look as slow as your 172.5kg.

ReputationRep:
    :yy: nice squats.

who the hell recorded your 172.5 effort? I was like :zomg: when he said "pretty heavy"

ReputationRep:
    lol thats my white flatmate.... suprises you because....? His press ain't bad... tried uploading it too

(Original post by cowsforsale)
    :yy: nice squats.

who the hell recorded your 172.5 effort? I was like :zomg: when he said "pretty heavy"

ReputationRep:
    ahh ok, nvm lol ...good job anyways. his pressses were good.

nice work, 180 very very soon

why do you step forward as soon as the bar comes up lol, hold it on your back for a second savour the moment

well done with your benching - when you bench, do you touch chest or pause for a second then press?

ReputationRep:
    thanks, yeah hopefully within 2 weeks.... dunno if its worth squatting up to 160kg x 5... because I'm way stronger 1 rep anyways... thats why I got the 172.5 even after all the other work.

I touch and go on bench.... I cheat a lot its gay (in life in general)... total weight whore.

ReputationRep:
    U reckon pause will help my game?

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen, lifters train touch and go. Then about a week or so out from competition they practice pauses. Obviously, you'll lift less weight this way. But the touch and go with heavier weights should get you stronger. But others may have more experience in this.

ReputationRep:
    lol who savours the moment when there's a heavy weight waiting to make your back implode?? When its up I'm just like thank god it hasn't crushed me lets rack it!

(Original post by commandant)
    nice work, 180 very very soon

why do you step forward as soon as the bar comes up lol, hold it on your back for a second savour the moment

well done with your benching - when you bench, do you touch chest or pause for a second then press?

ReputationRep:
    172.5 looked easy.

Since doing sheiko, every rep now is paused for a second, I think its helped me a lot with technique, and I know there's no chance of me failing in a meet due to not pausing for long enough - I saw a lot of guys on their first attempt get given a red light for touch and go

Like smed said though, most people just leave it until near a comp. Give it a go anyway, see how much it effects your maxes?

ReputationRep:
    lol I might try that - altough my bench is ***** its too embarassingly low.... won't be going to a meet for aaaages me thinks. How much did your numbers go down by when you pause?

And what do you guys reckon I should do about bench... because I'm unlikely to be able to progress at 2.5kg a week as is programmed into this starrs cycle... my squat/DL/press/row is all going up... though bench has royally stalled, anyone got ne ideas?

ReputationRep:
    There are lots of things you can do for bench. You're basically on a linear progression now, and have most likely stalled. So logically, the next step would be to go for weekly gains as opposed to gains every session. You also do some form of volume/periodisation routine that has you peaking after a set number of weeks (but I kinda think that's more of an advanced requirement; not that you won't get gains, but there might be faster methods).

Texas Method has you doing 5x5 volume on monday, light 2x5 recovery wednesday (but you do OHP instead of bench) and then an intense PR set (1/2/3/5RM, you choose) on Friday. That's one way you can progress every week.

ReputationRep:
    thanks but I'm already going for weekly gains as opposed to every session... its the whole point of madcows. I havn't been able to progress every session for a while now!

Its working great for everything in bench... I just dunno what to do to get much bench up, the PR day on friday is gruelling.... 5RM on squat, then 5RM bench then 5RM row.... and after they recomend weighted dips... i dont hav the energy after!!

ReputationRep:
    My basic question is... should I start modifying the starrs routine wrt my bench? Everything else is working beautifully though its just not happening for my bench.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I see. I'm not that familiar with Madcows. But still, TM is different enough that it might work? Anyway, I think others will have better advice for this, considering you all bench more than me. :p:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.