Turn on thread page Beta

Chinese guys training blog (Bill Starrs 5x5) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    lol, I don't even have a facebook.

ReputationRep:
    your right... its a shame I won't be doing it again though, at least in future there should be no doubt with atg oly squats.

Gotta prove to myself I'm strong enough by getting a half decent DL 1rm soonish.

you train at ethos too loL?

(Original post by RawJoh1)
    That squat was high, but pretty fast. You probably would've got it had you got to depth.

Dave's 300kg pull vid is up on his facebook, if either of you guys are friends with him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    your right... its a shame I won't be doing it again though, at least in future there should be no doubt with atg oly squats.

Gotta prove to myself I'm strong enough by getting a half decent DL 1rm soonish.

you train at ethos too loL?
    Nah, I don't live in London. Dave went to the same gym as me last Summer.

Also - you know the skinny guy in the squat video behind you (in the wifebeater type thing)? Swear I went to Uni with him.

ReputationRep:
    its DL 1rm testing day 2moro how would you do it if you were me.

The most I've pulled is 165 x 5 which equals around 185 1RM

Things is I'd like to shoot for 220... even tho its way over anything that should be possible.... but I'm scared if I open at 200 it may wear me down too much.... open at 210, I might not get it

(Original post by SMed)
    lol, I don't even have a facebook.

ReputationRep:
    If you're going in cold:

light warmup

60kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 2
    140kg x 1
    180kg x 1
    200kg

That's probably what I'd have in my head, but then you need to see how you feel and go from there. If 180kg is a grind, 200kg may or may not even be possible. I wouldn't try anything over 200kg without trying 200kg first.

Are you using straps? Oh and use the Eleiko. Did you use it for squats?

ReputationRep:
    yeah gonna use straps and the eleiko bar... even tho its gonna definately cut me at some point

Nah didn't use it for squats.... I dont like squatting in the rack next to the cross trainers.

Hmmm I might need the warm ups filmed... cos 180 is likely to feel hard regardless.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna be crushed if 200 isn't possible.... that would devalue my squat a lot.

Then again... Ive never failed deadlift with straps... so lets hope I don't start 2moro

ReputationRep:
    Also Im pretty sure I'm starting to get smaller.... I'm getting doms every session now... paranoid I'm atrophing

ReputationRep:
    Moiz used the Elieko for deadlifts, 5x5 of 140kg. His hands are FOOKED UP.

If you try 200kg, and it just gets stuck without moving, don't spend too long grinding away needlessly. If it's still moving up, fine. If it stops, just drop it and try again in a few minutes. Or drop the weight a bit and try again. I think 200kg should be fine for you. Do them in Chucks or socks.

ReputationRep:
    I've lost about 8kg in 5 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    lol.... what some chicks would give to lose 8kg... thats amazing... maybe its a sign that I'm not eating enough... if your rest weight is this low.

Are your abs coming out yet :P

Yeah I'll bear that in mind.... I've never grinded on a DL... only missed one at 160 last year due to hooking it and failing (Hook grip at 160 is a mess... don't know how the fook oly ppl do it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    lol.... what some chicks would give to lose 8kg... thats amazing... maybe its a sign that I'm not eating enough... if your rest weight is this low.

Are your abs coming out yet :P

Yeah I'll bear that in mind.... I've never grinded on a DL... only missed one at 160 last year due to hooking it and failing (Hook grip at 160 is a mess... don't know how the fook oly ppl do it)
    A lot of them tape up their thumbs with a fat amount of athletic tape.

ReputationRep:
    Could you have a look at my form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9F_ZEfB8hk

Doesnt look particularly powerful - I'm pretty sure I need to adjust it b4 1rm 2mor - I still don't get what the cues should be for round back deadlifting.

ReputationRep:
    200 DL would be insane, I'm sure you could get 180 seeing as you managed 180 squat :coma:

How long have you been running Madcow btw? Are you meant to move on after the 9 weeks or do you keep going until you stall???

:yy:

ReputationRep:
    Narrow your stance. It will allow your grip to come in a bit more and get your arms completely parallel and perpendicular to the ground.

Maybe point your toes out slightly. That should help you to extend your back more in the start position (though this is variable to the lifter).

Other than that, make sure you are squeezing yourself down into position. It should not be a comfortable position to be in. You should be tight, and hopefully that will give you a little elasticity to get things moving.

I'd also ask the other regulars with big-ish deadlifts. They'll know more than I.

ReputationRep:
    "The best way to avoid this is to not deadlift when you need to ****, and vice versa.

Planning is the key here."

ReputationRep:
    lol I'll try not letting my fear of failure get in the way of forgetting to focus on technique. (and in the squat case depth)

still got pec doms from flying the other day ****

ReputationRep:
    ******* **** **** **** SUCKING ***** gym was closed when I got there... Closes at 4.30 for the next 6 days apprently... how the fook am I gonna wake up in time.

ReputationRep:
    200kg deadlift ya **** XD,,,

incidentally, this guy did that today but with straps and a belt.

ReputationRep:
    FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUCK missed the gym today AGAIN..... got to front desk at 4.10pm... and the ***** at the counter told me last entry was at 4pm. - I think my body is shrinking

Going back leicester 2moro morning.... may try using my home weights to do some stuff - only got 161kg at home though wtf am I supposed to do with 161kg,.... curl it?

ANd cows I intend to use straps .... I hate failure.. although I *might* try 200 without straps. maybe.

Also had an epiphany on the way back... I was kinda tricked into powerlifting.... by starting strength.... my aim as a noob was to get hench, that didn't happen.. instead I trained like a powerlifter.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.