Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Chinese guys training blog (Bill Starrs 5x5) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    PS added a lil front squat just to show I can squat ATG contary to popular belief

ReputationRep:
    keep forgetting this is a blog... and I trained today so should add the numbers!:

Back Squat:

60kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    125kg x 5
    145kg x 3
    107.5kg x 8

(My mate filmed the 145kg then deleted it... ******* idiot!!)

BB Bench press:

50kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    87.5kg x 3

(feeling ill didn't do everything on the programme)

Pendlay rows:

40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    57.5kg x 5
    67.5kg x 3
    50kg x 8

Played around with cleans after.... just really wanted to do them... forgot about curls, dips, ect.... wondering if I should just go gym to practice them before my next session!

ReputationRep:
    **** session today.... got man flu... and equipment was pretty poor (very basic bench and squat rack set up) worked out at home (leicester)

Back Squat:
    90kg x 5
    110kg x 5
    130kg x 3
    140.5kg x 5 (these were hard.... didn't have the plates to go to 145kg)

BB Flat Bench press:
    50kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    89kg x 3 (failed.... loaded the bar incorrectly.. was supposed to be 87kg)
    86.5kg x 4 (failed again... would have got it if I didn't attempt the 89kg... will reset the next time I try next week)

Powercleans:
    nothing to report here... failed the 80kg... pretty bad day

Don't know if its worth having a gym set up at home.... because its just dam dangerous without spotters... even with spotters squatting 140 feels dodgey... got a video coming later

ReputationRep:
    Still ill but re did the **** session and smashed everything out.....all my joints hurt, and my forearms are dead from arm wrestling 2 nights before... anyways:

Back squat:
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    130kg x 3
    145kg x 5 PB

Video of 145kg squat:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7BAVQkg2QQ

BB Bench:
    60kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    87kg x 5 PB (will reset at this weight until its comfortable.. last 2 were grinds)

Pendlay rows:
    42kg x 5
    52kg x 5
    67kg x 5

Easy enough....

Messed around with cleans/curls after... nothing spectacular to report

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Youtube)
    This video is not yet processed.

ReputationRep:
    good stuff, will be keeping track

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    Ok so I can't powerclean for ****! Even though I got some PB's.... 80kg felt kinda light my form is SHOCKING....

And these are nearer dead hang cleans.... like I try dipping to mid thigh then explode up... where the 2nd pull begins but as you can see its just a total mess! Need to bang my hips like in squat rather than just jump up....

50kg:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmYwFgrGjOY

80kg single:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZjSds9C79w

This was at virgin active... was trying to train a noob mate so agreed to go. THE PLATES THERE ARE TINY..... but i promise its (2 x 20kg, 2 x 10kg, 2 x 5kg and the bar weighed 10kg to make 80kg... I'll retake it in a proper gym in a few days)

Any feedback on the PC would be great.... in particular how to use hamstrings and the glutes
    Why weren't these done from the ground?

ReputationRep:
    It's been two hours and that vid hasn't processed yet. wtf?

ReputationRep:
    thats weird... I'll re up load it... first time its messed up.... I'm uploading it str8 from my iphone... but i dropped it (from about 20cm).. will reboot it

ReputationRep:
    Because I didn't learn how to clean pull and I don't know how to scoop/double knee rebend from first pull to second pull so I just attempt to start from second pull

(Original post by yokel)
    Why weren't these done from the ground?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSKKax_IJG8

50kg Power Clean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8uUrRmbK3k

145kg Squat

ReputationRep:
    dam... need to figure out depth still not perfect on a couple of those reps... wish I could bring a mirror into ethos

ReputationRep:
    I was going to say you look like you had more in you, but probably not if you were to hit depth.

Mirrors SUCK for squats. They mess me up big time.

I'm going for 137.5kg 3x5 tomorrow and if that goes well, 140kg 3x5 on Friday. I should probably get some sleep since I have to wake up at 6:30AM. FML

ReputationRep:
    I keep reading redhotbutter. :/

ReputationRep:
    Good luck man, I'm sure we're around similair level... because 3 sets at same is tough... hell I'd find 5 sets at 130kg hard.... and the thing with depth is that I'm trying to force myself to go deep without loosing tension.... with a mirror I can go to the perfect point and explode up.. I don't like to wait and think at the bottom I like to anticipate... like I'm thinking of driving b4 I get in the hole.

Hmmm I'm gymming tues and thurs but myt mix it up week after or come in on fri to do cardio/cleans. Film yours! I can't sleep for ages... Havn't woken up before 12pm for about a week now... but I'm super behind in work... FML too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I keep reading redhotbutter. :/
    thanks to you, ive now only just realised that thats not his name.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same with ascent; I bounce off my hams and glutes and try to explode up. That gets me as far as 2/3rds of the way up, and then I have to grind the rest of the way. But yeah, thinking "up, up, up, up" on the way down is probably a good thing. Just need to down there!

My camera is fooked, everything I film ends up looking like something out of The Ring.

Oh, and my exams are in 9 weeks and I'm super uber behind. FML FTL. :p:

ReputationRep:
    looked like you made depth to me :dontknow:

power clean - looks like a reverse curl i'm not sure, coz the bars coming outwards then back towards ya instead of travelling in a straight line .. im not sure but :yy: hard to tell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gone Revising)
    thanks to you, ive now only just realised that thats not his name.
    :rofl:

It took me about 2-3 weeks before I realised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    looked like you made depth to me :dontknow:

power clean - looks like a reverse curl i'm not sure, coz the bars coming outwards then back towards ya instead of travelling in a straight line .. im not sure but :yy: hard to tell
    Hard to tell reliably from that vid, but the 1st looked about 1" or so high. 2nd was a good 2-3"s high. 3rd looked like it might have been okay, as was the 4th perhaps. 5th was high I think.

Take these with a pinch of salt, I wasn't there.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 5, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.