Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Chinese guys training blog (Bill Starrs 5x5) watch

ReputationRep:
    On that 130 high bar squat did you have a thumbed grip or am I just blind?

ReputationRep:
    It's thumbed, look at his hand before he gets under the bar.

I squat thumbless though.

ReputationRep:
    Is thumbed acceptable for highbar?

ReputationRep:
    Why not? It's just preference. Some people like thumbed, some like thumbless.

ReputationRep:
    I will... it was my first session back from low bar..... they felt deep, today I went ATG on front... though I think I need to adjust my stance... its a lil wide... my calves touched my bum.

(Original post by Mr. Fox)
    Get some oly shoes and go deeper dude!

ReputationRep:
    just got back from library....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4ROIMl_CXk

200 fail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwox0yfAlck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI7yHjrfLyA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    just got back from library....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4ROIMl_CXk

200 fail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwox0yfAlck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI7yHjrfLyA
    How did your hands like the Eleiko?

ReputationRep:
    You hit the bar with your legs right before pulling, and moved it over your toes. It also moved forward because, I think, you were too far forward of the bar. Get it over the middle of your foot (bar will be about 1-2cm from your shins when standing straight up, just touching when crouched down, but don't roll the bar forward!) and your upper lats should be directly over the bar. Then pull back, almost, and drag the bar up your shins.

On all you attempts, you're nudging the bar forward away from you, making it much harder to pull. The strength is there though. Give it another go next week? Do you want to use my belt?

ReputationRep:
    When you say nudging forward.... so you mean just prior to the lift?

Its tempting to try again - but tbh I don't think I want to do a DL 1rm until after exams - low back is a lil sore from yday (didn't care about form... was so depserate to get it up), when do your exams finish?

I think this truly marks the end of the powerlifts for me - I'm sure I'll work up to a 200kg clean pull in the coming year(s)

ReputationRep:
    As SMed has already mentioned, the shins hit the bar just as you hit your set position and then when you lift you're lifting up and back towards you.

A few weeks concentrating on form and your optimum pulling position and you'll lift 200kg+ easy. At the very least put something around the weights to stop the bar moving while your setting yourself up. Can't possibly be properly set with the bar moving and stretching you out all over the place.

ReputationRep:
    I hate doing deadlifts at that gym. The floor there has so many little dips and ****, that the bar always rolls around and never stays where you put. Not that really has much of an affect on 1RMs unless, like you, it gets nudged.

Again, did the Eleiko tear your hands up?

ReputationRep:
    P-*******-M'd.

ReputationRep:
    lol so i should stop spazzing about before lifting right..?

And felt fine on hands... grip was immense, could held 190 for aaaaages, no blood - used chalk.

(Original post by SMed)
    I hate doing deadlifts at that gym. The floor there has so many little dips and ****, that the bar always rolls around and never stays where you put. Not that really has much of an affect on 1RMs unless, like you, it gets nudged.

Again, did the Eleiko tear your hands up?

ReputationRep:
    THanks, its tempting I might try one more time before/during training for olympic lifts.... I've totally gone off the idea of powerlifting for a while...

(Original post by Herr Stamper)
    As SMed has already mentioned, the shins hit the bar just as you hit your set position and then when you lift you're lifting up and back towards you.

A few weeks concentrating on form and your optimum pulling position and you'll lift 200kg+ easy. At the very least put something around the weights to stop the bar moving while your setting yourself up. Can't possibly be properly set with the bar moving and stretching you out all over the place.

ReputationRep:
    Quick session.... got too tired half way through:

Front Squats:
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    105kg x 3 PB
    110kg x 3 PB
    115kg x 2 PB

Military Press:
    40kg x 5
    52.5kg x 5 PB (these were insanely hard)

ReputationRep:
    Finally back in the gym just now (pussy workout)

Front Squats:
    60kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    110kg x 1 (paused at rock bottom... fairly easy reckon I could recover from clean with that)

Back squats:
    90kg x 3
    130kg x 2

Bench:
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5

DB Rows:
    30kg x 8
    40kg x 10

Finished with some chest flyes

ReputationRep:
    you know you're now doing a high bar olympic squat....what exactly makes it that...think I might start doing them....I class low bar on the same terms as a sumo deadlift and they both look poncy.

ReputationRep:
    more or less this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_jxT...next=1&index=2

So opposite of low bar...

Break at knee's
    Torso as upright as possible
    Go deep
    Big chest
    Bar fairly high on traps (I think anywhere on traps is fine) as long as its not rear delt.

Why the move? I'm doing it because I intend to do o-lifting from now on.

(Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    you know you're now doing a high bar olympic squat....what exactly makes it that...think I might start doing them....I class low bar on the same terms as a sumo deadlift and they both look poncy.

ReputationRep:
    not so much a move...i never really did low bar i dont think....i keep my back straightish and my legs aren't that wide apart....it's just flexibilty that is my problem....so im going to try and put a plate under my feet until i buy squat shoes....cheers for advice..hopefully i'll go a2g now

ReputationRep:
    i see..... well just checked your blog 150 high bar is pretty impressive.

Anyways yeah.... I don't really get how people can have flexibility issue on squat, I mean i know it exists I just can't picture it.

When you do a bodyweight squat (like your going to crap in a 3rd world country) can you get your calves to touch your ass? Like At the bottom of a natural squat your ass should be a few inches from the ground.

(Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    not so much a move...i never really did low bar i dont think....i keep my back straightish and my legs aren't that wide apart....it's just flexibilty that is my problem....so im going to try and put a plate under my feet until i buy squat shoes....cheers for advice..hopefully i'll go a2g now

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 5, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.