Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chinese guys training blog (Bill Starrs 5x5) watch

ReputationRep:
    not without going on my toes....my flexibiliy is terrible im not even close to be able to touch my toes when stretching

ReputationRep:
    some inspiration for your olympic lifts...teenager when he did them as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6mRb...layer_embedded

ReputationRep:
    not bad..... still a while to go till its olympic gold territory though, hope to see a competitor from US in 2012 olympics.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah hopefully he will take the olympic lifts, powerlifting and then strongman route....

I know clean and jerk is 260kg at the very top and anything over 250kg is amazing...what kind of snatches do people do...I always thought 200kg was the magic number.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I always wondered that too..... cant remember what rezza snatches, though I'm pretty sure the WR in the 85kg class is 187kg or so...... so 105+ class must be in the 220's I'da thought... then again the biomechanics of super heavies is prolly different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    Yeah I always wondered that too..... cant remember what rezza snatches, though I'm pretty sure the WR in the 85kg class is 187kg or so...... so 105+ class must be in the 220's I'da thought... then again the biomechanics of super heavies is prolly different.
    According to wikipedia, Rezazadeh holds the record for both - 263kg C+J, 213 snatch. However, before the old world records were removed due to weight class reshuffling, there was a 266kg C+J and a 216kg snatch.

Turns out Tarenko, the guy with the 266 C+J actually scored a higher total than Rezazadeh. Beast.

ReputationRep:
    yeah I saw that too, suprised the snatch WR is what it is..... I mean its amazing non the less.... but seeing how they recover from 200kg.... (easily) I wonder why they can't snatch more, leg strength doesn't look like a problem? Maybe shoulder/balance strength.

ReputationRep:
    Btw are these olympic lifters, dope free? They are tested right?

ReputationRep:
    they'll be on roids.

in the UK they will test them and do everything in their power to catch the cheats and discourage.....most of the other countries are the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    yeah I saw that too, suprised the snatch WR is what it is..... I mean its amazing non the less.... but seeing how they recover from 200kg.... (easily) I wonder why they can't snatch more, leg strength doesn't look like a problem? Maybe shoulder/balance strength.
    Yeah it's obviously not leg strength that's the problem, given that a guy who can snatch 200kg is going to be able to recover from pretty much ATG with a 230kg clean. I imagine the limiting factor is how quickly you can get yourself under the bar and steady enough to catch it - the core strength needed to stand up with 200kg over your head is obscene, and getting into a position you can do that effectively from in the fraction of a second between pulling the bar up and it losing its momentum is a big ask. Not that I know much about olympic lifting, mind you.

ReputationRep:
    I believe they do tests in every country... its just the policy of each country will affect the availability and quality of drugs available to the athletes. So with state support..... those countries will morally grey backgrounds will be able to support their athletes with the latest/best dope.

(Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    they'll be on roids.

in the UK they will test them and do everything in their power to catch the cheats and discourage.....most of the other countries are the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but what makes it different to the other weight classes..... typically up the 105's there's 40kg difference between snatch and CnJ

(Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Yeah it's obviously not leg strength that's the problem, given that a guy who can snatch 200kg is going to be able to recover from pretty much ATG with a 230kg clean. I imagine the limiting factor is how quickly you can get yourself under the bar and steady enough to catch it - the core strength needed to stand up with 200kg over your head is obscene, and getting into a position you can do that effectively from in the fraction of a second between pulling the bar up and it losing its momentum is a big ask. Not that I know much about olympic lifting, mind you.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but what makes it different to the other weight classes..... typically up the 105's there's 40kg difference between snatch and CnJ
    It's a good question. Maybe there's something about the mechanics of the lift that the extra size the heavyweights have gives them more on the clean and jerk than on the snatch.

ReputationRep:
    Surely the difference is range of motion between the C+J and snatch, in the same way your deadlift fairs badly going from a narrow to a snatch grip?

ReputationRep:
    Its more of a.... why does the ratio differ for the super heavy weight class.

Sure for a snatch you have to pull as high as a powerclean roughly.... thats why snatch and powerclean weights are fairly similair, and the grip will affect it to some extent but then the leverage is worst which will balance out the limited rom.

(Original post by Witchita)
    Surely the difference is range of motion between the C+J and snatch, in the same way your deadlift fairs badly going from a narrow to a snatch grip?

ReputationRep:
    some front squat video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwu6k4sqVY4

almost atg, was pretty tired after DL maxes, I do atg now.... almost wrecked my right knee from experimenting with stopping then bouncing out of the hole.

ReputationRep:
    Its more of a.... why does the ratio differ for the super heavy weight class.

Sure for a snatch you have to pull as high as a powerclean roughly.... thats why snatch and powerclean weights are fairly similair, and the grip will affect it to some extent but then the leverage is worst which will balance out the limited rom.
    In that case perhaps just the limit of balance, OH squat seems pretty nasty even without shoving a huge weight on there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Witchita)
    In that case perhaps just the limit of balance, OH squat seems pretty nasty even without shoving a huge weight on there
    it is, i tried for the first time with 35kg...fell backwards and dropped the weight on my legs arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    some front squat video.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwu6k4sqVY4

almost atg, was pretty tired after DL maxes, I do atg now.... almost wrecked my right knee from experimenting with stopping then bouncing out of the hole.
    You seem to be holding the bar very low down, mate. Bar should be almost chocking you out (hence why fronties are generally done for low reps). Looked nice and easy and fast, definitely had more in you. They'll probably feel a lot more natural once you get some proper lifting shoes.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've noticed that.... was trying to figure out when my upper torso looks like it buckles if you know what i mean. Must be a bad leverage position.

I used to rack it higher, high elbows with 3 fingers gripping the bar, elbows out in front, bar racked on front deltoid.

Then I switched to actually gripping the bar thumb wrapped round, elbows lower at an angle, bar on the top of the deltoid (more flesh) also more comfortable. Might be a bad position though... i'll see if I can grip it but have it furthur back. Either way I won't be progressing on squats till after exams

Btw smack I was looking at your log.... its long, how comes your progress since mid 08-09 is similair to where you are now, were you injured or sthn?

(Original post by Smack)
    You seem to be holding the bar very low down, mate. Bar should be almost chocking you out (hence why fronties are generally done for low reps). Looked nice and easy and fast, definitely had more in you. They'll probably feel a lot more natural once you get some proper lifting shoes.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.