Turn on thread page Beta

Chinese guys training blog (Bill Starrs 5x5) watch

ReputationRep:
    I dont suppose you could help me with a bit of PC form criticism please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1VkSoY39F0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiskMbf3unU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1CLHfT3Bbk

ReputationRep:
    Cheers... I bought one from boots the other from sports direct... been meaning to get proper ones but tbh cbb atm... the nice ones are about 15 quid each.... mine cost 3.50 each.

(Original post by cowsforsale)
    Well done!

How are you finding the knee sleeves? Which ones did you go for in the end?
    Looks pretty good to me... tbh I still have a LOT to learn re the classic lifts.

Your left/right leg looks slightly unbalanced at full extension. Nice start position/weight on heels btw. Catch looks good too.

Read through these articles

http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/sporti...ary/index.html

some pretty good stuff on lifting in general. What are your lifts like? My PC is garbage for my other lifts

(Original post by Witchita)
    I dont suppose you could help me with a bit of PC form criticism please?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1VkSoY39F0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiskMbf3unU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1CLHfT3Bbk

ReputationRep:
    Training from 1rm session:
    FS:
    60x5
    140 fail

RDL:
    60x5
    100x5
    120x3
    130x2 PB (left hand hurt too much) no straps

DB press:
    14x10
    16x10
    20x9

Today did some grips training with HG 200

Right hand:

Left Hand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    Cheers... I bought one from boots the other from sports direct... been meaning to get proper ones but tbh cbb atm... the nice ones are about 15 quid each.... mine cost 3.50 each.

Looks pretty good to me... tbh I still have a LOT to learn re the classic lifts.

Your left/right leg looks slightly unbalanced at full extension. Nice start position/weight on heels btw. Catch looks good too.

Read through these articles

http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/sporti...ary/index.html

some pretty good stuff on lifting in general. What are your lifts like? My PC is garbage for my other lifts
    I know what you mean with the unbalanced thing. Currently it seems like my right leg is taking all the weight when Im squatting, I think its because naturally my stance has my feet at different angles. It always seems like there is a bit more pressure on my right knee than my left.

Erm, DL 140x1, squat 115x1 (paused a little at the bottom to ensure depth), Press 45x5,5,4, Bench 55x5,5,4 (I know, My presses just suck), erm, chinsx3x5xbw are pretty easy, as are pullups.

Tbh, I always wanted to get into oly lifting I just never had the flexibility to get my ass down in the start. Im thinking about going for it now but Im not sure what to do, high bar vs front squat, RDLs, loading progress. Heck, even how many sessions a week, most of the internet resources are all about working the clean and jerk + snatch and I dont know the jerk or the snatch yet.

ReputationRep:
    Thats pretty good how long u been lifting? Whats your max PC and BW?

Your OHP is actually aight lol you look quite light too.... wish I could get some proper coaching.

Re the flexibility you mean you can't get into a low ATG bodyweight squat, weight on heels, back straight chest up... and just sit there comfortably like a baby?

If so... would be interesting to see how you would cos I have trained people (and the white guys tend to have this problem...) I never overcame it... just got them to low bar parallel squat lol

Re Front vs high bar and RDL vs SLDL.... you have to learn your own body.... and personally I follow chinese philosophy of bringing up weaknesses.

So you can't really say one is better than the other. Sure for a beginner I'd teach back first... but once you get a decent foundation if you were back squatting 180 but front squatting 110 (like I was few months ago) It wouldnt make sense to keep back squatting right?

Wrt the training/sets/reps I'd aim for relevent strength training as over half the volume so squats and pulls, then around a quarter technique and the remainder bodybuilding stuffs (apart from biceps). I usually clock 6 sessions a week... and I've never snatched lol.

I know what you mean with the unbalanced thing. Currently it seems like my right leg is taking all the weight when Im squatting, I think its because naturally my stance has my feet at different angles. It always seems like there is a bit more pressure on my right knee than my left.

Erm, DL 140x1, squat 115x1 (paused a little at the bottom to ensure depth), Press 45x5,5,4, Bench 55x5,5,4 (I know, My presses just suck), erm, chinsx3x5xbw are pretty easy, as are pullups.

Tbh, I always wanted to get into oly lifting I just never had the flexibility to get my ass down in the start. Im thinking about going for it now but Im not sure what to do, high bar vs front squat, RDLs, loading progress. Heck, even how many sessions a week, most of the internet resources are all about working the clean and jerk + snatch and I dont know the jerk or the snatch yet.

ReputationRep:
    Also start doing push presses they are the first step to jerks imo

ReputationRep:
    Im 13 stone dead but your right, Im not that big. That PC is the first time Iv ever managed to actually get under the bar properly. With the flexibility I mean that I actually could not get to parallel even in squat shoes and low bar hold, way I got over it was continue squatting and every session do 4x30 second squat stretches, as deep as i can bear footed. Took about a month but Iv gone from next to no flex to being able to get right under into a nice starting position for a clean

Thinking that Ill gopher something like...
    mon: FSx3x5
    OHPx5x3 (to switch it up)
    PCx5x3
    Chinsxmaxx5

wed: FSx3x5
    BPx3x5
    Clean pulls, to learn pulling heavy with the new set up. Start at +20kg of my PC and work up from there I guess. Probably start 5reps and go down to 3
    Dip work, Iv never managed dips. Always hurts my shoulders.

fri: FSx3x5
    PPx3x5 (learning this lift too)
    PCx5x3
    Pullupsx3xmax.

Trying to get as much clean in, load my FS in a SS style because Iv not really done it before. Get it up to something as quick as I can. It still feels slightly unnatural pulling with a curved back rather than straight so do the cleanpulls. After a few weeks might add drop cleans in there, to start progressing towards a full clean

ReputationRep:
    lol dam... that makes you heavier than me! I'm sitting at 12.2 stone ¬¬

Ah excellent I'll try that on my new trainee's but squat stretches you mean just get into a squat and hold it? Are you bare foot?

Tbh the programme looks good but I've got 2 comments.

a) You could still do back squats.... like do alternating or something... I think you still have a long way to go on the backs.... depending on style. Although this isn't a major issue tbh

b) MOST IMPORTANTLY you defo defo defo DEEFFOOOO need hamstring work. FS 3 times a week with no RDL.... not a good idea. Clean pulls won't work them as much. Also RDL will bring up PC and squats. (you Don't need to replace anything just add it in)

c) The powercleans you can treat as technique work e.g. do 1 heavy session but the other 2 or 3 sessions just keep lightish... I can't imagine 50 - 60kg PC's tiring you out for strength work.

Im 13 stone dead but your right, Im not that big. That PC is the first time Iv ever managed to actually get under the bar properly. With the flexibility I mean that I actually could not get to parallel even in squat shoes and low bar hold, way I got over it was continue squatting and every session do 4x30 second squat stretches, as deep as i can bear footed. Took about a month but Iv gone from next to no flex to being able to get right under into a nice starting position for a clean

Thinking that Ill gopher something like...
    mon: FSx3x5
    OHPx5x3 (to switch it up)
    PCx5x3
    Chinsxmaxx5

wed: FSx3x5
    BPx3x5
    Clean pulls, to learn pulling heavy with the new set up. Start at +20kg of my PC and work up from there I guess. Probably start 5reps and go down to 3
    Dip work, Iv never managed dips. Always hurts my shoulders.

fri: FSx3x5
    PPx3x5 (learning this lift too)
    PCx5x3
    Pullupsx3xmax.

Trying to get as much clean in, load my FS in a SS style because Iv not really done it before. Get it up to something as quick as I can. It still feels slightly unnatural pulling with a curved back rather than straight so do the cleanpulls. After a few weeks might add drop cleans in there, to start progressing towards a full clean

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend using cleans as warm up work for heavier pulls like RDLs or deadlifts. It'll help loosen up your hips for the heavier pulls as well.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely need to add some back squats into that routine somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    A beginner definitely should but the relative value of the back squat falls once you have a good base of strength.

(Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Definitely need to add some back squats into that routine somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that obviously depends on your goals.

ReputationRep:
    FS:
    60x5
    140 fail

About testing new max here, I might sound like a fag but isn't it true that you may have been able to do 140 if say you hadn't done that many singles before. E.g. if you went warmup, few reps of 110, then straight to 140 then you might have been able to do it? I'm not talking specifically about you, but generally for testing maxes?

ReputationRep:
    True... but on the flip side what if you fail the 140? It may take energy/confidence out of future lifts. Depends on the individual... I tried and assumed I would get a 200kg pull last time I 1rm tested and it bite me in the ass.

(Original post by u4m1r)
    About testing new max here, I might sound like a fag but isn't it true that you may have been able to do 140 if say you hadn't done that many singles before. E.g. if you went warmup, few reps of 110, then straight to 140 then you might have been able to do it? I'm not talking specifically about you, but generally for testing maxes?

ReputationRep:
    Todays Training -

Push Press:
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 3
    50kg x 3
    60kg x 3
    70kg x 2
    80kg x 1
    82.5kg x 1 PB
    85kg x 1 PB - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTWEPOAFFSI
    87.5kg x 0
    87.5kg x 1 PB - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPNa_FH-XYg unstable as ****
    90kg x 0 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_9mNV-ukOw should have got this... didn't need to practise more.

Power Clean:
    60kg x 3
    60kg x 3
    70kg x 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BhgNseBcBI
    75kg x 1
    77.5kg x 1 Match PB at lighter BW
    80kg x 0

Pendlays rows:
    60kg x 8

Pull ups BW:

This session took me 2 hours... wtf. Also lost direction after push press was unsure what to do.

Back squat and RDL tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    FS:
    60x5
    140 fail
    I'd probably just done this; dunno if it'd have made a difference for 140kg.

And another thing... that 'Austin' guy in your channel... did you allow him to lift like that in your presence? Shame on you.

ReputationRep:
    ^that deadlift, he looks like hes gonna snap in 2

ReputationRep:
    He's fine was a 1rm atempt... I don't train him to rep out like that... Just we were curious wt he culd do. 3rd dl session ever... 2xbw nt bad. He's built for oly lifting... Nice body proportions

ReputationRep:
    Do the proportions which make you good for oly lifting not also make you good for power lifting? IE short limbs

ReputationRep:
    yep and yep.... its more proportions... he doesn't have any bad lever arms.

Like my thighs are short = good squat

but I got long ass arms for that leg length.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.