Turn on thread page Beta

Chinese guys training blog (Bill Starrs 5x5) watch

ReputationRep:
    hmm I completely forgot to spread the knee's/floor today... will try bouncing and see how low I can go... I'm fairly sure its not the weight though.... because even on light warm up its around as low as I go... if I could go lower I would ~~, as for the oly lifting I'm contemplating going to europa gym (east london) for lesons... but its around 2.5 hours return... if only I didn't go to IC

ReputationRep:
    As for depth I really don't know.... I know they could be a lot better, I might start wearing nike pro's (got me some of those tight shorts) and need to get my camera man to hold it lower so can its in line with my thigh/ass as the bottom

ReputationRep:
    tighter shorts? hmm? :awesome: JOKES!

but yea just keep at it mate....i love how you unrack it at lightening speed, takes me ages to adjust and fidget about.

ReputationRep:
    *the 2nd one is appauling lol

ReputationRep:
    I find if I don't unrack it instantly I get scared and pussy out and take another 5 mins psycing myself out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    hmm I completely forgot to spread the knee's/floor today... will try bouncing and see how low I can go... I'm fairly sure its not the weight though.... because even on light warm up its around as low as I go... if I could go lower I would ~~, as for the oly lifting I'm contemplating going to europa gym (east london) for lesons... but its around 2.5 hours return... if only I didn't go to IC
    http://www.imperialboatclub.co.uk/boathouse-gym.html

Imperial Boathouse Gym. Check out the virtual tour, 2 racks, benches, about 10 Eleiko bars and a full set of Eleiko bumper plates. No platforms, and they said we can't drop the weights (wtf? why bother getting bumper plates then morons?).

£100 a year, 4 stops from Gloucester Rd station on the District line.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, I lived in southfields last year (2 from putney bridge), I've been there and its alryt... but I need an instructor tbh

Though I was thinking.... we should just jack a couple of oly bars and the bumper plates and either put them in ethos or start our own lil weightlifting club.... far better use of resources then those homo rowers who all do half squats

(Original post by SMed)
    http://www.imperialboatclub.co.uk/boathouse-gym.html

Imperial Boathouse Gym. Check out the virtual tour, 2 racks, benches, about 10 Eleiko bars and a full set of Eleiko bumper plates. No platforms, and they said we can't drop the weights (wtf? why bother getting bumper plates then morons?).

£100 a year, 4 stops from Gloucester Rd station on the District line.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but Sanjay and that Polish guy train the Oly lifts there. There's also the English guy Sam the shot-putter (or some other thrower, can't remember) and he cleans 140kg I think. He's a pretty decent coach to start off with and he's free. He'll at least get you started.

**** the rowers, these guys just do the Oly lifts.

Yeah, I don't think they'll miss a bar or 3.

ReputationRep:
    I guess but it would be better for everyone (sanjay hasn't done oly lifts/been to boat house in ages because its too inconvinient) If we could just move the plates and a bar or two to ethos and do oly lifting in the sports hall downstairs.... if only sport imperial wasn't so bull-sh!t

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Dave and I were talking to Henry (skinny PT) about getting a big storage cupboard to go down by the climbing wall and store some bars, stands and bumper plates. We could keep it where the fencers... fence.

Anyway, **** ethos. I'm going to start training at St Mary's gym if they get a decent barbell. I've emailed them because they're supposed to be updating the gym. I asked what they're doing and they said, "Primarlily we are replacing some equipment. We have just ordered new a New Smith machine and Treadmills to replace to old/fauulty one's, as well as workout benches.

We are also adding Tv signals to our cardiovascualr equipment."

I wrote a long-ish email asking them to get at least ONE decent barbell. The 2 they have there are absolute ****.

ReputationRep:
    lol don't do that.... stay in ethos! As if our gym isn't ***** enough... I just hope one day we can get some oly equipment...... What did the PT say about the storage cupboard??

If anything you should train in boathouse... pretty decent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    No platforms, and they said we can't drop the weights (wtf? why bother getting bumper plates then morons?).
    Heh, the mind boggles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    Good luck man, I'm sure we're around similair level... because 3 sets at same is tough... hell I'd find 5 sets at 130kg hard.... and the thing with depth is that I'm trying to force myself to go deep without loosing tension.... with a mirror I can go to the perfect point and explode up.. I don't like to wait and think at the bottom I like to anticipate... like I'm thinking of driving b4 I get in the hole.

Hmmm I'm gymming tues and thurs but myt mix it up week after or come in on fri to do cardio/cleans. Film yours! I can't sleep for ages... Havn't woken up before 12pm for about a week now... but I'm super behind in work... FML too
    I decided to go for some heavy singles this week. I need to back off from training a bit and do some work.

Did 150kg squat and 90kg bench. I know I've got more to left in me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blwu1nFdpuI

(Damn I'm ugly.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I decided to go for some heavy singles this week. I need to back off from training a bit and do some work.

(Damn I'm ugly.)
    Nice one!
    bit of a grind but i'm not suprised man...but 3 plates already? boom!

maybe we should have more ppl recording, my lifts aren't respectable enough yet :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

(Damn I'm ugly.)
    Nice one.

I watched your press, why do you put your head and neck so far forward at the top of the movement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Nice one!
    bit of a grind but i'm not suprised man...but 3 plates already? boom!

maybe we should have more ppl recording, my lifts aren't respectable enough yet :o:
    150kg > 3 plates. :shifty:

The end plates were 25kg and the inner two were 20kgs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Nice one.

I watched your press, why do you put your head and neck so far forward at the top of the movement?
    I'm still playing with my presses, they're absolutely ****. I'm trying to workout if it's form, weakness or both. (well it is both)

Rip teaches (and most people do it) to dive under the bar once it's past the head. I may be exaggerating this. Not sure.

Even this guy's head goes well forward near lock out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Rip teaches (and most people do it) to dive under the bar once it's past the head. I may be exaggerating this. Not sure.
    Yeah, that was my first thought. As long as it's not interfering with your core posture the position of your head shouldn't make too much difference. My only worry would be that with your neck moving that much, as the weight you lift increases, it would affect your form. I think it's good practise to keep your head up straight and looking up very slightly.

But meh, that's just my 2 cents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    150kg > 3 plates. :shifty:

The end plates were 25kg and the inner two were 20kgs.
    i know :yes: shhhhh :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Yeah, that was my first thought. As long as it's not interfering with your core posture the position of your head shouldn't make too much difference. My only worry would be that with your neck moving that much, as the weight you lift increases, it would affect your form. I think it's good practise to keep your head up straight and looking up very slightly.

But meh, that's just my 2 cents.
    i think you're meant to move your head forward to allow full extension of the arms at the top.

talking about looking up, i saw a guy with the weirdest front squat form ever. Clearly gripping at the bar with his hands and elbows down, you could tell his head was straining with the way he was looking up as at the ceiling = /

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.