Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Chinese guys training blog (Bill Starrs 5x5) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    150kg > 3 plates. :shifty:

The end plates were 25kg and the inner two were 20kgs.
    Did you chalk the bar btw?

Also, i think maybe we should make this romance onto somewhere else, we can't be spamming up this wonderful journal :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    i think you're meant to move your head forward to allow full extension of the arms at the top.
    Yeah your head moves forward a bit but your spine should still be in a straight line which it isn't if you actually lean your neck forward.

ReputationRep:
    Did you chalk the bar btw?

Also, i think maybe we should make this romance onto somewhere else, we can't be spamming up this wonderful journal :sadnod:
    Last spammy post: I had back chalked. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    His head position is fine.... most important thing is that the weight is over scapula.... if you check any check clean and jerks... head is also pretty far forward.... don't know how else to explain it

(Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Yeah, that was my first thought. As long as it's not interfering with your core posture the position of your head shouldn't make too much difference. My only worry would be that with your neck moving that much, as the weight you lift increases, it would affect your form. I think it's good practise to keep your head up straight and looking up very slightly.

But meh, that's just my 2 cents.

ReputationRep:
    lol wtf is all this ****... I come back from watching avatar at the imax... at 4am and suddenly its turned into Smeds training blog/life story...

Meh training 2moro will try getting more vids... but its awkard to get strangers to keep filming me and I hate carrying my iphone into gym ¬¬

well done Smed on the PB's... we should train together some time... I'm thinking when I test my 1RM singles in 4 or 5 weeks time.... fingers crossed for big-ish numbers....

(Original post by SMed)
    I decided to go for some heavy singles this week. I need to back off from training a bit and do some work.

Did 150kg squat and 90kg bench. I know I've got more to left in me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blwu1nFdpuI

(Damn I'm ugly.)
    "Interesting Deadlift" - Brilliant!!

Subscribed mate

(Original post by redbuthotter)
    lol wtf is all this ****... I come back from watching avatar at the imax... at 4am and suddenly its turned into Smeds training blog/life story...

Meh training 2moro will try getting more vids... but its awkard to get strangers to keep filming me and I hate carrying my iphone into gym ¬¬

well done Smed on the PB's... we should train together some time... I'm thinking when I test my 1RM singles in 4 or 5 weeks time.... fingers crossed for big-ish numbers....
    160+ squat :yep:

ReputationRep:
    lol thanks? Which DL vid r u talking about? With any luck I'll get one filmed today ... and the aim is 180..... to match frank yang XD

ReputationRep:
    Training from today:

Light Squats:

60kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    110kg x 5

Military Press (Used the 11.5kg bar with collars so counted it as a 12kg bar)

32kg x 5
    37kg x 5
    42kg x 5
    47kg x 5 Easy PB should be good for 50+

Deadlift (used the same 11.5kg bar no collars):

51.5kg x 5
    101.5kg x 5
    131.5kg x 3
    154kg x 5 PB but veeeery UGLY

Form broke on last couple reps in deadlift... condolances to my lower back... please forgive me

DL vid:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJNARfgBM_s

ReputationRep:
    I've seen uglier....e.g mines :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    lol, where are the videos!! Makes any blog more interesting...

Neways forgot to add... did some curls too.... my elbow seem to be in permanant pain

ReputationRep:
    This was like a month ago, i was still on ss :o:

Nasty stuff, i've asked for help on ia and strengthmill but nothing beneficial...i think forms a bit better now, need new videos :o:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Nasty stuff, i've asked for help on ia and strengthmill but nothing beneficial...i think forms a bit better now, need new videos :o:
    If that's you in the video then you're practically doing a stiff leg deadlift!

Get the hips down a bit! Drive with the legs as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    Training from today:

Light Squats:

60kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    110kg x 5

Military Press (Used the 11.5kg bar with collars so counted it as a 12kg bar)

32kg x 5
    37kg x 5
    42kg x 5
    47kg x 5 Easy PB should be good for 50+

Deadlift (used the same 11.5kg bar no collars):

51.5kg x 5
    101.5kg x 5
    131.5kg x 3
    154kg x 5 PB but veeeery UGLY

Form broke on last couple reps in deadlift... condolances to my lower back... please forgive me

DL vid:
    Have you read the SS book?

It looks like you're starting with the bar over your toes. That may be too far out in front for you. Notice when it leaves the ground it swings back towards your legs above the middle of your foot? Try starting with the bar over the mid-foot and pull back a bit more so the bar slides up your leg. This is your centre of gravity and you should be able to pull harder from that position. With it out in front of you, you're at a disadvantageous position. Try dragging it up your legs. You'll see deadlifters put babypowder on their legs to decrease friction on max pulls.

Also, I think your hips are starting too low. Notice when you start the lift, your hips shoot up but the bar doesn't move for a bit. That's wasted effort. Get your self tight and hips as high as they were right when the bar left the ground. This should conserve some energy for the rest of the set. I think that was only on the first rep anyway.

Otherwise, they were fast reps. You've definitely got a lot more in you.

I was going to ask what it was like pulling with the short bar, since the knurl is less aggressive. But you were using straps. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    If that's you in the video then you're practically doing a stiff leg deadlift!

Get the hips down a bit! Drive with the legs as well!
    This. You need to start with your arse closer to the floor.

ReputationRep:

Doesn't look too bad. Some people just pull stronger like that. Do actively try to get the bar off the ground with the initial leg drive. Also drive through your heels. Some of those your heels come off the ground.

ReputationRep:
    No wonder i claimed of back pain eh :P i remember watching rip's videos :ninja: and the thing that stuck out was that the people were starting with the hips too low.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm thing is SMed is that I don't think your hips should raise faster then your back... I appreciate what your saying and it happens because I have weak quads/legs... If you start with your hips higher then it'll look like a spine lift/SLDL... which ain't good, I started reviewing my pulling form for heavy pulls because I mentally still think... hook it up rather than push heels through ground.... the thing with the hip is probs best shown here (very good DL form..) skip to 30 seconds... see how he starts with low hips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsCnO...eature=related

Also I'll pay more attention to the bar positioning but it starts behind my toes.. albeit not scrapping shins at the start... I'll correct this next time (I used to get bruises on my shins from DL's.... I try to get contact but not too much) Also pulling with the shorter bar is fine... I used hook grip on 130kg and normal for under and it was fine.... shouldn't be a deal breaker

ReputationRep:
    btw thats 186kg @ 52 years old with no warm up in slippers in case any of you were wondering

ReputationRep:
    Ok.. I cbb to print screen and repost the start position of the following videos:

Mine skip to 10 seconds
    chinese oly coach skip to 30 seconds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsCnO...eature=related
    Cows skip to 47 seconds
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2bFR...layer_embedded

Prior to lift I think the hips should be fairly low.... and raise at same rate as back/legs in an ideal world

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 5, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.