Turn on thread page Beta

Chinese guys training blog (Bill Starrs 5x5) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    hmmm thing is SMed is that I don't think your hips should raise faster then your back... I appreciate what your saying and it happens because I have weak quads/legs... If you start with your hips higher then it'll look like a spine lift/SLDL... which ain't good, I started reviewing my pulling form for heavy pulls because I mentally still think... hook it up rather than push heels through ground.... the thing with the hip is probs best shown here (very good DL form..) skip to 30 seconds... see how he starts with low hips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsCnO...eature=related

Also I'll pay more attention to the bar positioning but it starts behind my toes.. albeit not scrapping shins at the start... I'll correct this next time (I used to get bruises on my shins from DL's.... I try to get contact but not too much) Also pulling with the shorter bar is fine... I used hook grip on 130kg and normal for under and it was fine.... shouldn't be a deal breaker
    I agree with you, I may have worded it wrong. Hips and back/shoulders go up at the same speed so the back angle should not change until the bar is past the knees and legs are locking out. Then the back finishes the lift.

The legs initiate the pull and get the bar off the ground as soon as you contract, exactly as in this video you posted. But if you're initiating the pull with your legs and your hips come up before the bar (like in your first rep), it's a wasted effort. Like I said, it looks like it was only in your first rep.

One thing about the video of the weightlifter deadlifting is that he deadlifts like a weightlifter. ie, hips low. They do this because it's more like the first pull in weightlifting. Deadlifters don't usually pull this way.

There's some useful info here: http://www.ampedtraining.com/strengt...d-deadlifting/. Not strictly about hip level, but he does mention it and he's a reputable guy.

Also there's a strong possibility I over think these things and different people pull more efficiently in different ways.

ReputationRep:
    nah its cool we're all scientists bro...... we're designed to overthink..... but I think it also boils down to what your training for..... which is sthn I've been modifying recently.

I have read SS and have watched most of the videos and know most of the theory behind the lifts rip teaches... and the thing is my hips raise way too quick because I have weaknesses but I'd like to start in the right position and try and replicate the weighlifting DL as close as possible whilst upping the weight... If I started with hips any higher... my DL would look more like cows... which (with no disrespect) I don't really want.

So back to the what your training for question.... I really want to learn oly lifts at some point so after I hit my short term goals in PL style lifts I'll probs start focussing more on front squats and other oly assistance... that is after I get over 100kg in bench... towards 110 - 120, 180 in squat and over 200 in DL.... hopefully by 4 or 5 weeks time..... then run a smolov cycle or two after improving my oly lifts

What do you train for? The thing with DL with the rounded back... it seems to have little carry over for anything else... just seems like a weight whore thing to do (which I am )

ReputationRep:
    Just to point out, I don't think your hips are too low. The point at which you initiate the pull with on reps 2-5 look correct to me. I'm not advocating any higher than that. It may be that on the 1st rep you were getting ready for the pull by bobbing your hips up and down and then on the last dip you started pulling. A lot of people do this. The other reps I think your hips were in the 'correct' position, and they didn't look stiff-legged to me.

Anyway, yeah I think we've got quite similar goals tbh. I want to get stronger first and then start focusing on the Olympic lifts. But I'll still always do the power lifts too. I dunno really.

From what I gather with round-back deadlifting is that there is a weight out there for everyone where their back will round. Regardless of strength or experience, even if they can pull WAY more than that point. If they want to progress, they will round their back. That's not to say we should learn the lifts that way and pull that way from the beginning.

Also:
    (Original post by Ethos)
    Absolute nightmare with the olympic bar, due to an "administrative error" somewhere along the line nobody told us that we could not go through York Fitness to obtain the new bar. However, as a knee jerk reaction they have gone and ordered the Eleiko competetition bar as a sorry of some kind I assume!? We've used this company before so this should come within 10 days. I don't know the surnames of the other guys who lift so please forward this on for me. The resistance bands are probably a no go, but I am working on the fat grips.

Thanks,

ReputationRep:
    ethos has a tsr account?

ReputationRep:
    ethos has a tsr account?
    lol, please be joking! It was an email from Henry, the skinny PT that didn't know what a board press was.

ReputationRep:
    lol henry is a bit of a *****... and i was half joking... neways, where do you intend on learning O-lifts?

ReputationRep:
    I'll get some of the Oly lifters at Ethos to help me at first (Sam is pretty cool). I may go elsewhere next year and find some coaching. It will probably be pretty obvious if I am any good at it. If not, I'm not going to waste money, I'll just ask other people. TBH, I've got a mediocre vertical jump so I'm not expecting much. I used to be able to grab rim of a basket ball goal, but I think most average guys can do that.

I just find them more fun, even if I'm not that good at them. It takes so long to learn, that it keeps my interest for longer. But I'll always use the powerlifts to keep getting stronger. I'll always strive to get stronger though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I'll get some of the Oly lifters at Ethos to help me at first (Sam is pretty cool). I may go elsewhere next year and find some coaching. It will probably be pretty obvious if I am any good at it. If not, I'm not going to waste money, I'll just ask other people. TBH, I've got a mediocre vertical jump so I'm not expecting much. I used to be able to grab rim of a basket ball goal, but I think most average guys can do that.

I just find them more fun, even if I'm not that good at them. It takes so long to learn, that it keeps my interest for longer. But I'll always use the powerlifts to keep getting stronger. I'll always strive to get stronger though.
    want to get stronger? do rows biatch :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    lol VJ is very BW/bf% and plyo related.... u need to loose some fat :P and come off the burgers

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to pry my burger from my cold, dead hands.

But look up Shane Hamman and talk to me about bf%.

ReputationRep:
    lol u greedy *******, how much are you bulking too? I'm happy with my BW... in fact I'm starting a mini cut,... with the logic that I've got too much fat and its making my lifts look uncompetitive...

If you were a professional heavyweightlifter... then fair dos.. but your not :P, yet

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm not gaining any more weight. I need to drop some fat too. I'm scaling back my training for the rest of the term for exams. A cut was one of the activities I had in mind, but I don't know how conducive a calorie deficit would be for maximum brain power.

I am going to lose some weight gradually this term, probably down to 85kg from 92kg.

ReputationRep:
    My friend got two JCR Double Double burgers and made a 1 Pounder. He washed it down with a pint of whole milk. He made it halfway through the next lecture and had to leave to... make some space.

Lightweight.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's going on a cut these days i'm even considering one :o: WAT

ReputationRep:
    haha I know what you mean.... and its gonna be a ***** to find time to eat clean when your revising 8+ hours a day (yes we do work too... just not constantly like most ppl)

I've never been on a strict cut b4... not sure I can actually do a calorie deficit (BW at 85kg @ 5"11... probs gonna loose a couple kg but not too much), and thats disgusting.... I bought 2 bacon double XL cheeseburgers at BK last year and got defeated half way thru the second one

ReputationRep:
    Its cos we're all fat *******s and beach season is coming up

(Original post by cowsforsale)
    Everyone's going on a cut these days i'm even considering one :o: WAT

ReputationRep:
    Its cos we're all fat *******s and beach season is coming up
    Going anywhere this summer?

ReputationRep:
    hmm not booked yet.. but most likely will go somewhere foreign and sunny... also its nice to just walk around topless in summer anyways XD, hw bout u?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone should come to VLC!

ReputationRep:
    kind of bored of spain... went to VLC in first year and malaga last year... might try sthn more exotic like egypt

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.