Turn on thread page Beta

Chinese guys training blog (Bill Starrs 5x5) watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Everyone's going on a cut these days i'm even considering one :o: WAT
    In theory, I should still be gaining weight. But then I weigh 11 stone and I'm super-ecto so unless I start eating some of those turtleburgers from SMed's sig I'm still going to look lean come shirtless season :p:

ReputationRep:
    How much do you eat? If your not scared of fat gain... then eat like a sumo wrestler... I used too kind of but not as extreme... 3 massive binges a day and not that much for breakfast.... we're talking eating till you can't each meal (and u'll need several plates because 1 aint big enough).. and eat some moaaar! got me past my sticking point of 80ish kg... got to 86... now I've dropped back down to 84kg dry in the morning... still a fat **** ¬¬

ReputationRep:
    Session from toady:

Back squat:
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    130kg x 3
    147.5kg x 3 PB
    107.5kg x 8

Nothing to report here.... fairly hard PB looking for 5 reps on sunday

BB flat Bench
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    87.5kg x 3 (reset from last time... these were hard... think I've got a right arm/shoulder injury developing )
    65kg x 8

Rows:
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    70kg x 3 (Was a bit naughty here... was supposed to do 68kg but thought my rows are a bit meh atm)
    50kg x 8

Didn't have time to do cleans/curl ect.... woke up super late... just got to uni now to do some work ¬¬

No videos today..... didn't c anyone I knew in the gym (who lifted) first time this has happened in months..... + my training partner was ill

Normal service will resume on sunday!

ReputationRep:
    woke up too late... (2pm) training 2moro for sure elbow pain has seemed to subside a bit, might ice it again later

ReputationRep:
    Training from today (had to wait aaages for any equipment.. soo packed today)

Back Squat:
    60kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    130kg x 3
    147.5kg x 5 PB (these were hard... the road to 160kg x 5 is gonna b fugly)

Bench:
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    87.5kg x 5 PB (these were relatively easy.... gonna try for the magic 90 next week)

row:
    40kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5 PB (fairly easy... can't feel it in my lats... pretty sure the form is ***** here)

Squat video (comedy video angle... probs one of the worst to date)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bAFS8E-zak

Overall not a bad sesh... started wearing nike pro shorts and converses too... seems to help

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps not what you want to hear from someone who squats a lot less than you but you may find them easier if you use a false grip for squats: it is more comfortable on the elbows/shoulders than the normal grip you seem to be using (although I may be blind in this case...)

ReputationRep:
    lol thanks but my wrists/arms are flexible enough..... wasn't nice at first but its cool now... and very stable , ppl tend to use false grip if they have bad flexibility... and I'm asian so... XD

(Original post by The Blind Monk)
    Perhaps not what you want to hear from someone who squats a lot less than you but you may find them easier if you use a false grip for squats: it is more comfortable on the elbows/shoulders than the normal grip you seem to be using (although I may be blind in this case...)

ReputationRep:
    That's interesting. I'm asian as well and rather flexible but I still prefer a false grip. I feel it's easier to pull the bar down onto my traps to form the 'lat shelf' with a false grip. But whatever works for you I guess...

ReputationRep:
    wait.... for low bar squat the bar shouldnt be on the traps at all.... I used to rack on traps when I squatted olympic style... now its on the rear delt (back of the shouler).... what squat are you doing??

(Original post by The Blind Monk)
    That's interesting. I'm asian as well and rather flexible but I still prefer a false grip. I feel it's easier to pull the bar down onto my traps to form the 'lat shelf' with a false grip. But whatever works for you I guess...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redbuthotter)
    wait.... for low bar squat the bar shouldnt be on the traps at all.... I used to rack on traps when I squatted olympic style... now its on the rear delt (back of the shouler).... what squat are you doing??
    Technically, that's still the traps. Everything in red is the trapezius.

ReputationRep:
    Did they get the Eleiko bar yet? I haven't been in ages. Might go Thursday.

ReputationRep:
    dunno bout to go see.... also I'm pretty sure I don't rack it on traps... its to the sides on the shoulders... though it might look like its on traps because I shrug my shoulders in to make the little delt platform to put them on... myt take pics later to show.

Got interesting session lined up.... hungover and sleep deprived ¬¬

(Original post by SMed)
    Did they get the Eleiko bar yet? I haven't been in ages. Might go Thursday.

ReputationRep:
    The traps are between your posterior delts, not just the 'yoke' that surrounds the neck. All back squats will sit on the trapezius muscles; it's just that high bar sits on the upper traps more. So yes, the bar is on the side of your shoulders, it is also touching your trapezius in the middle.

/pedantic bull****

ReputationRep:
    high bar :woo:

good luck with your sesh, i hate doing squats when i'm hungover.

ReputationRep:
    ok fine I'm sure it touches but the way I rack it... (pretty low) I'd have thought most of the pressure was on the delts?

(Original post by SMed)
    The traps are between your posterior delts, not just the 'yoke' that surrounds the neck. All back squats will sit on the trapezius muscles; it's just that high bar sits on the upper traps more. So yes, the bar is on the side of your shoulders, it is also touching your trapezius in the middle.

/pedantic bull****

ReputationRep:
    Training from today.... again no video... could have asked a PT henry to take it... but he was busy atttempting to teach snatches to some guy.... neways...

Back squat:
    60kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    110kg x 5

Military Press:
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    48kg x 5 PB
    (couldnt be bothered to do 35kg... kind of pointless build up)
    Fairly easy.... 50 will most likely be a grind

Deadlift:

60kg x many
    100kg x 5
    130kg x 5
    157.5kg x 5 PB! Thanks to Smed.... bought bar closer to shin (scraped on way up a bit) and hips slightly higher at start... wow these were easy XD.... road to 170 x 5 looks fine

Some curls to end

Had a chat with one of the PT's in the gym and I dunno if I should pay him £17.50 for hour of oly coaching.... price aint bad but don't really trust his credentials... he's been on some oly course... and kind of knows what he's been doing but isn't an enthusiast... e.g. I asked him how much he could clean... to which he replied he's a triathlete so he doesn't... fair enough Watcha guys think?

ReputationRep:
    ok fine I'm sure it touches but the way I rack it... (pretty low) I'd have thought most of the pressure was on the delts?
    Probably, maybe. But to be honest, it doesn't how much pressure is where. I've got callouses on my posterior delts and right in the middle of my back. The bar is probably pretty evenly distributed across.

ReputationRep:
    Training from today.... again no video... could have asked a PT henry to take it... but he was busy atttempting to teach snatches to some guy.... neways...

Back squat:
    60kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    110kg x 5

Military Press:
    30kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    48kg x 5 PB
    (couldnt be bothered to do 35kg... kind of pointless build up)
    Fairly easy.... 50 will most likely be a grind

Deadlift:

60kg x many
    100kg x 5
    130kg x 5
    157.5kg x 5 PB! Thanks to Smed.... bought bar closer to shin (scraped on way up a bit) and hips slightly higher at start... wow these were easy XD.... road to 170 x 5 looks fine

Some curls to end

Had a chat with one of the PT's in the gym and I dunno if I should pay him £17.50 for hour of oly coaching.... price aint bad but don't really trust his credentials... he's been on some oly course... and kind of knows what he's been doing but isn't an enthusiast... e.g. I asked him how much he could clean... to which he replied he's a triathlete so he doesn't... fair enough Watcha guys think?
    Is it Henry that's 'teaching' the Oly lifts? Or that bald guy? Either way, I dunno tbh. I'd probably try to catch Sam or some of the others. I've seen Sam be pretty helpful and also the Polish guy.

Also, did they get the new bar?

ReputationRep:
    yeah he was kind of... teaching snatch pull, snatch high pull, then power snatch... all in 1 session, tho tbh I don't know how much he know's... might give him 1 chance

I don't sam... kind of know sanjay but tbh I don't think any of them is gonna coach me for an hour one on one.... also the polish guy's clean technique is pretty poor

Nope... no sign of new bar I asked and he said they placed the order last week

(Original post by SMed)
    Is it Henry that's 'teaching' the Oly lifts? Or that bald guy? Either way, I dunno tbh. I'd probably try to catch Sam or some of the others. I've seen Sam be pretty helpful and also the Polish guy.

Also, did they get the new bar?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, an hour of bothering those guys is not going to happen. I don't know how willing Sanjay would even be, but Sam spent about half an hour with some of my training partners on the clean. I was doing something else so didn't get in on it. But he's very friendly and cleans about 130-140kg something for reps.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 5, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.