Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Will I pay 'home' fees?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I migrated to Trinidad from the UK about 5 years ago. I'm a British citizen and so are both of my parents. I'm now in upper Six and I want to know whether I'll pay international fees or 'home' fees at uni in England.

I know that I can't get a loan, because I'd have had to have been living in the UK 2 years before. But I just want to pay local fees!!!

Thanx!!:p: :p:

ReputationRep:
    EDIT

I misread that, sorry! You may actually have trouble getting loans as you've not been in the UK for three years before your course, despite your being a citizen. You really need to talk to student loans, but I think you'll be an overseas student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    EDIT

I misread that, sorry! You may actually have trouble getting loans as you've not been in the UK for three years before your course, despite your being a citizen. You really need to talk to student loans, but I think you'll be an overseas student.
    This is correct. To qualify as a 'home student' you must've been resident in the UK for the three years prior to your course start date.

ReputationRep:
    It's horrendously unfair, but you'll be classed as an international student. Despite your parents presumably having contributed to the tax system their whole working lives up till 5 years ago, you'll have to pay international fees, whilst someone who moved to england 3 years ago and who might not even have contributed anything to the tax system in that time gets the reduced rate. Life's a *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asha5692)
    Hello!
    I migrated to Trinidad from the UK about 5 years ago. I'm a British citizen and so are both of my parents. I'm now in upper Six and I want to know whether I'll pay international fees or 'home' fees at uni in England.

I know that I can't get a loan, because I'd have had to have been living in the UK 2 years before. But I just want to pay local fees!!!

Thanx!!:p: :p:
    Ask for a fee questionnaire form to fill in, the uni will decide based on the informaion you gave them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadie-kiki)
    It's horrendously unfair, but you'll be classed as an international student. Despite your parents presumably having contributed to the tax system their whole working lives up till 5 years ago, you'll have to pay international fees, whilst someone who moved to england 3 years ago and who might not even have contributed anything to the tax system in that time gets the reduced rate. Life's a *****.
    I'm not talking about student loans people! I know I can't take one... I just want to know whether I'll have to pay £15 000 a year!!!!!! I really hope not!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Looks like you will be paying international fees.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not talking about student loans people! I know I can't take one... I just want to know whether I'll have to pay £15 a year!!!!!! I really hope not!!!!!
    It's the same system. If you don't qualify for student loans, you don't qualify to pay 'home fees'. They have exactly the same rules.

I think it might depend on why you're there and how long for; for example, sometimes time abroad because of your parents temporary work contract won't count against you, and you might be able to argue your absence from the UK is temporary-and temporary absences are ignored (although you'd probably have a hard time to argue it was only temporary for such a long period of 5 years...) but if this doesn't apply to you at all (such as your parents emigrated because they felt like it and don't have any sort of finite visa or work contract) then you will definitely be counted as an international student.

You might want to look through the UKCISA website. There's lots of information about what makes you eligible for home fees etc, as well as other resources for international students if you are counted as one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    Curious if a UK person moves abroad and say 3 years later decides to studying a distance learning programme via a UK institute, will they be classed as an 'Overseas' student?

If it is the case that they loose their 'UK' status so to speak…..
    What if after 3 years of been abroad they move back to the UK and wish to start a programme at a UK institute, will they immediately be classed as 'UK' student or will they need to live/work in the UK for 3 years prior to starting the programme to be classed as ‘UK’ student?
    That's right, they'll be classed as an overseas student until they've again lived in the UK for three years (though certain circumstances might alter this).
    It's important to bear in mind too, that someone from the UK who moves to an EU country and claims 'right of residence' there can still be treated as a 'home' student upon their return to the UK - it's non-EU applications that are treated as 'overseas' ones until three years of 'settled' UK residence have been completed.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not talking about student loans people! I know I can't take one... I just want to know whether I'll have to pay £15 a year!!!!!! I really hope not!!!!!
    £15 pounds a year isn't that bad, think about it, that can only buy 15 haribos.

....:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    It's the same system. If you don't qualify for student loans, you don't qualify to pay 'home fees'. They have exactly the same rules.

I think it might depend on why you're there and how long for; for example, sometimes time abroad because of your parents temporary work contract won't count against you, and you might be able to argue your absence from the UK is temporary-and temporary absences are ignored (although you'd probably have a hard time to argue it was only temporary for such a long period of 5 years...) but if this doesn't apply to you at all (such as your parents emigrated because they felt like it and don't have any sort of finite visa or work contract) then you will definitely be counted as an international student.

You might want to look through the UKCISA website. There's lots of information about what makes you eligible for home fees etc, as well as other resources for international students if you are counted as one.
    Oh my GOD!!!!! I'm so upset! I never wanted to move here in the first place and now I can't go back home because of some STUPID technicality! I'm stuck here forever! I don't know what to do! If I come and work in the UK for 2 years, I think I can take a student loan... But I REALLY don't want to take 2 years off of school WORKING!! I'm very sad right now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King4eva)
    £15 pounds a year isn't that bad, think about it, that can only buy 15 haribos.

....:yes:
    Very funny! I meant £15 000.... I think this whole situation is TOTALLY out of order. I've got friends in Trinidad who were born in the US but spent their whole lives here (Caribbean) and they're going to pay home fees at university, simply because they've got US passports!!! I'm soooooooooo upset!!

ReputationRep:
    Very funny! I meant £15 000.... I think this whole situation is TOTALLY out of order. I've got friends in Trinidad who were born in the US but spent their whole lives here (Caribbean) and they're going to pay home fees at university, simply because they've got US passports!!! I'm soooooooooo upset!!
    What has how the US operates got to do with the UK?

ReputationRep:
    I was in the exact same position as you. I left the UK when I was 3, and only came back for uni. I pay home fees, but it was a fight to get them.

What you need to do is email the local education authority in the city where you will be going. They will sort it out for you. You legally should be paying home fees. So for example, if you're going to Liverpool, email the Liverpool authorities.

A word of warning: you will probably not be able to get a student bank account and overdraft. Natwest said no to me, HSBC said yes, gave me one, and then when I came back after Xmas in my first year, they had sent me a cheque and told me they closed my bank account because I couldn't have a student account actually.

Barclays gave me one though, so when you move over, try Barclays - and persist, because it all depends on getting the right advisor.

At the end of the day, you are BRITISH, with a BRITISH passport only. If you can't have rights in Britain, it's not fair because you definitely don't qualify for rights anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    I was in the exact same position as you. I left the UK when I was 3, and only came back for uni. I pay home fees, but it was a fight to get them.

What you need to do is email the local education authority in the city where you will be going. They will sort it out for you. You legally should be paying home fees. So for example, if you're going to Liverpool, email the Liverpool authorities.

A word of warning: you will probably not be able to get a student bank account and overdraft. Natwest said no to me, HSBC said yes, gave me one, and then when I came back after Xmas in my first year, they had sent me a cheque and told me they closed my bank account because I couldn't have a student account actually.

Barclays gave me one though, so when you move over, try Barclays - and persist, because it all depends on getting the right advisor.

At the end of the day, you are BRITISH, with a BRITISH passport only. If you can't have rights in Britain, it's not fair because you definitely don't qualify for rights anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by in_vogue)

Student finance is now NOTHING to do with local authorities. So that wouldn't work at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Student finance is now NOTHING to do with local authorities. So that wouldn't work at all.
    Oh, I didn't know that. Still OP, give it your best shot, and PERSIST.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    What has how the US operates got to do with the UK?
    Well I just think it's unfair that people can go there, have their babies... Come back to Trinidad, and 18 years later, their now adults, get to go to university at the same price as people who've been living there there whole lives.

Really and truly, it's quite unrelated... I just want to rant k?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by in_vogue)

Wow! You left when you were 3?? That must've been a difficult case to argue... What did you say your reason for leaving was? My mum wanted to come back to Trinidad after having lived ion England for such a long time, but I had absolutely no say on the matter, because I was 12.

Did you work in the UK before going to uni? Did you take a student loan?
    I'm adding you to my buddy list! We can PM further.... I'm soooo happy that there's someone like me out there... But where did you go? If it was in the EU... then that could explain it....

It really is unfair! I am only British! What do they expect me to do?

I've got a teacher here who's German and moved here when she was 11. She wanted to study here at uni (it's free for locals) and she couldn't because she isn't a citizen. She couldn't study in England either because she hadn't been living in the EU... poor thing... She ended up having to PAY to go to uni here... which is what only foreigners do... I wouldn't even have to pay here because my mum is Trinidadian.

ReputationRep:
    Well I just think it's unfair that people can go there, have their babies... Come back to Trinidad, and 18 years later, their now adults, get to go to university at the same price as people who've been living there there whole lives.

Really and truly, it's quite unrelated... I just want to rant k?
    The world is unfair, accept it and get along

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.