Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Student finance is now NOTHING to do with local authorities. So that wouldn't work at all.
    What do you propose I do?
    I'm thinking of moving back to England, renting a flat and working for 2 years... I don't know how I'll survive though! I'm only 18! I've got friends and family in the UK so maybe I can stay with them... I don't know... :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manthew)
    The world is unfair, accept it and get along
    Easy for you to say! You don't live in the 3rd world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asha5692)
    What do you propose I do?
    I'm thinking of moving back to England, renting a flat and working for 2 years... I don't know how I'll survive though! I'm only 18! I've got friends and family in the UK so maybe I can stay with them... I don't know... :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:
    It's 3 years by the way, not 2.

ReputationRep:
    Wow! You left when you were 3?? That must've been a difficult case to argue... What did you say your reason for leaving was? My mum wanted to come back to Trinidad after having lived ion England for such a long time, but I had absolutely no say on the matter, because I was 12.

Did you work in the UK before going to uni? Did you take a student loan?
    I'm adding you to my buddy list! We can PM further.... I'm soooo happy that there's someone like me out there... But where did you go? If it was in the EU... then that could explain it....

It really is unfair! I am only British! What do they expect me to do?

I've got a teacher here who's German and moved here when she was 11. She wanted to study here at uni (it's free for locals) and she couldn't because she isn't a citizen. She couldn't study in England either because she hadn't been living in the EU... poor thing... She ended up having to PAY to go to uni here... which is what only foreigners do... I wouldn't even have to pay here because my mum is Trinidadian.
    Lol! No, don't worry, it wasn't EU - I lived in the Middle East and then Switzerland. I have another friend at uni with me who was in the exact same situation. We both got home fees, and the full loans.

I just told them my Mum was working abroad, so obviously I went with her. I didn't work in the UK before hand, I arrived like 2 days before starting my course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by in_vogue)
    Lol! No, don't worry, it wasn't EU - I lived in the Middle East and then Switzerland. I have another friend at uni with me who was in the exact same situation. We both got home fees, and the full loans.

I just told them my Mum was working abroad, so obviously I went with her. I didn't work in the UK before hand, I arrived like 2 days before starting my course.
    How long were you in Switzerland though? Because recently (since 2008?), if you are from the UK and live in Switzerland it's exactly the same as if you were in the EU.

And from 2002 they've had bilateral agreements so that it is treated the same for tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    It's 3 years by the way, not 2.
    Apparently if you live by yourself and support yourself for 2 years prior to the beginning of the course, you can receive a student loan. I'm British, so the rules are different to how they'd be if I weren't.

ReputationRep:

How is that possible? We need to continue corresponding because you seem like someone who can help me. On Monday I'm going to call UCIAS and find out whether I'll really have to pay international fees, I already spoke to Student Finance England and I was told that I cannot take a student loan.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently if you live by yourself and support yourself for 2 years prior to the beginning of the course, you can receive a student loan. I'm British, so the rules are different to how they'd be if I weren't.
    Who told you that?

There are no separate rules regarding loans/tuition fees/student support for British citizens afaik. They have to fulfil the same residence conditions as everyone else, which is 3 years residence in the UK or EEA or Switzerland. 3 years being self sufficient and living in the UK would entitle you to full grants/loans without using your parents income to assess it, but that is the only thing living by yourself and supporting yourself affects. It's where you're 'ordinarily resident' which forms the basis of most of the rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidigirl)
    Who told you that?

There are no separate rules regarding loans/tuition fees/student support for British citizens afaik. They have to fulfil the same residence conditions as everyone else, which is 3 years residence in the UK or EEA or Switzerland. 3 years being self sufficient and living in the UK would entitle you to full grants/loans without using your parents income to assess it, but that is the only thing living by yourself and supporting yourself affects. It's where you're 'ordinarily resident' which forms the basis of most of the rules.
    I'm pretty sure that I heard that as long as you're supporting yourself and working, it's 2 years and not 1.... At least I hope so.... I REALLY don't want to start university at 21!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I didn't know that. Still OP, give it your best shot, and PERSIST.
    Do you think i'll need a lawyer? What did you state as the basis for your leaving?
    My mum can barely pay the local fees as is, how on EARTH is she to pay the international ones?

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that I heard that as long as you're supporting yourself and working, it's 2 years and not 1.... At least I hope so.... I REALLY don't want to start university at 21!!!!
    That's not correct. :nope:

heidigirl is right.

ReputationRep:
    You 'heard'...yes, that is a great way to get the right information. :p:

Take a look at the UKCISA website; on the page about fees it outlines all the rules and might clear some things up for you, and it might also have some ideas about possibly sources of funding for international students.

This is the British Council's page on student funding: http://www.britishcouncil.org/learni...ur-studies.htm

ReputationRep:
    Do you think i'll need a lawyer? What did you state as the basis for your leaving?
    My mum can barely pay the local fees as is, how on EARTH is she to pay the international ones?
    can't afford the fees so employ a lawyer.
    hmmmm....

ReputationRep:
    Easy for you to say! You don't live in the 3rd world!
    For you information, I'm from Malaysia and yes it's very 'third world like' (Yupe you just got spanked in the face, PWNZ J00)... and I'm paying International Fees like everyone else who live outside the EU...

And I can't believe ignorant like you still using the term 'Third World' without knowing what it originally means... it's 'under-developed' , get that right

(Original post by Asha5692's profile)
    I was born in St. Helier's Hospital, Sutton... 17 long years ago!! I spent most of my life in a pretty bungalow in Surrey with my mummy, daddy and brother. At age 11, I began attending St. Bede's Secondary School in Redhill, Surrey. It was really nice, I was doing soo well... until it all came crashing down..

You mum can't afford you, but sure your dad could pay for you... by sellin the pretty Bungalow in Surrey

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember what reason I gave or even if I needed one.

Of course you shouldn't bother getting a lawyer, I meant persist as in keeping emailing various different people, re-explaining the situation, and at some point you will find someone who is bothered enough to look up the situation and help you.

How much are the international fees? If worst comes to worst, you're just going to have to get out a loan that will cover them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manthew)
    For you information, I'm from Malaysia and yes it's very 'third world like' (Yupe you just got spanked in the face, PWNZ J00)... and I'm paying International Fees like everyone else who live outside the EU...

And I can't believe ignorant like you still using the term 'Third World' without knowing what it originally means... it's 'under-developed' , get that right

You mum can't afford you, but sure your dad could pay for you... by sellin the pretty Bungalow in Surrey
    My dad lives here, with us... and since he grew up poor having to support himself he's under the belief that I should support myself, even though that's impossible to do if I stay here.

It's not even 'under-developed' it's 'developing'... I like it here I just don't want to live here forever, it's not my country and that's my opinion... And by the way... even if my parents still owned their house in Surrey, they wouldn't sell it for uni... in fact, if they hadn't sold the house, I might qualify for a student loan.

The difference between you and me is that you're from Malaysia, and I'm from England... Therefore, it would be understandable that you would have to pay international fees, whereas it's very subjective in my case.

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember what reason I gave or even if I needed one.

Of course you shouldn't bother getting a lawyer, I meant persist as in keeping emailing various different people, re-explaining the situation, and at some point you will find someone who is bothered enough to look up the situation and help you.

How much are the international fees? If worst comes to worst, you're just going to have to get out a loan that will cover them...
    I can't take a loan remember? I live in Trinidad, and my parents just did a massive renovation on our house... there's no way they would take a loan for me...

I couldn't possibly take one in England now... since I'm no longer a resident right?

ReputationRep:
    right.

ReputationRep:
    I can't take a loan remember? I live in Trinidad, and my parents just did a massive renovation on our house... there's no way they would take a loan for me...

I couldn't possibly take one in England now... since I'm no longer a resident right?
    Do you have any family member in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    If you can't afford it, or get a bank loan, then you can't go. Simple really.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.