Turn on thread page Beta

Missed a lecture - woman rang at 1am to tell me I have to pay £80 by monday? watch

ReputationRep:
    Since when do we have to pay for missed lectures?
    I went to all my other lectures this week except a media studies one on thursday because its my extra credit module and I have had flu all week so I just couldnt be bothered..

Is this for real? I am not paying £80 I already pay three grand as it is!

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't make much sense at all. You've paid for the services of the lecturer through your fees so why should you have to pay for a missed lecture?

Was it definitely an official request? Sounds like a prank

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anyone who would do a prank like that? and it was a two minute coversation so I would have recognised the voice.. Only two people know that I didnt go and their both my friends? But the woman on the phone didnt even say who I'm supposed to pay it to and just said go to the main desk? Main desk of whattttt?

It was just wierd, but can I get suspended without even knowing it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    That doesn't make much sense at all. You've paid for the services of the lecturer through your fees so why should you have to pay for a missed lecture?

Was it definitely an official request? Sounds like a prank
    i'll second this...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think you got pranked mate...

Did they tell you to leave it in an envelope under a decorative plantpot or anything?

ReputationRep:
    Swansea! I haven't got a clue what I'm supposed to with this information? If it was an official call she didn't do a very good job!

ReputationRep:
    Haaa.. and no, no plantpot :P
    I wouldn't know who to pay anyway, it's just the threat of suspension thats freaking me out!

ReputationRep:
    Clearly someone on the razz taking the piss, you wouldn't get a threat like this verbally over a phone. It'd be written.

ReputationRep:
    Does she just need your bank account and sort code to file the information?

ReputationRep:
    If it was legit, they wouldn't phone up at 1am on saturday morning. Gotta be a prank. If you're not sure, go to see your course leader or someone else on monday morning.

ReputationRep:
    Okay I'm feeling better.. Sooo, I can't get suspended without my knowledge? They would have to have a meeting or something right? I know a girl last year who didnt go to lectures for a month and didnt get suspended.. But I really dont know who would prank me?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    How did you get around the swear filter? :confused:
    Either filter got poofed or its a unique symbol xD.
    EDIT: NVM -.-

ReputationRep:
    You wouldn't get suspended for missing 1 lecture.

ReputationRep:
    The giveaway was the 1am in the morning, prank.

ReputationRep:
    The thing that confused me about it was its not my department so I dont know what the rules are.. Maybe media studies people are a bit crazy? I don't know..
    Should I ring the uni or just leave it.. The woman sounded old and it was really quiet in the background?

ReputationRep:
    at 1 in the morning? Of course it was a prank, no-one's in their office at one in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    I asked if it was real - she said yes she just has been really busy with paperwork and has only just got round to it?

ReputationRep:
    Just ignore it. If it does end up being real then you can say you thought it was a prank (as others have said, they'd issue a warning like that in writing to ensure you received it and include info on who to pay a cheque to etc.). If it is your friends pranking you, they have a very strange sense of humour.

ReputationRep:
    Okay.. Thankyou all.. It's set my mind at rest for a while.. I'm going to go back to sleep now, like I was before being rudely awakened by the lecture police.. Goodnight!

How do they know you havent't attended?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.