The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You have paid for the privlage to be allowed into the lectures and to be allowed to take the exams that go with them in order to gain a qualification.

It is your choice whether you decide to use the facilities that you have paid for. No one cares if you show up or not, it is your money you are wasting.

No university in the country will ask you to pay any extra money for anything that is not specified in the programme handbook (trips etc may be extra).

They say themselves that most of the learning must be done by the student outside of class, the lecture material can be found on blackboard, the lectures are not even worth the money you are paying for to begin with so will not cost more if you miss them.

It is a prank. Do not give any money to anyone.

Also it should have been pretty obvious that someone working for the university would not call you at this time of night anyway.
Reply 21
That's quite funny, I might use that on someone a little too naive - probably best to go for office hours though!
Well, you certainly fell for it.

In general: unless you get anything official in writing, don't pay anything. If you wish to appeal, you normally have the right to do so before paying. And always pay for things like this with cheques or via something else "trackable".
How would they know you skipped a lecture?
Reply 24
I guess the stereotypes about media studies students is true? :facepalm:
ormaybeitsjustnarcissism
Yeah I think you got pranked mate...

Girls who say 'mate'...*shudders*
jumpingjesusholycow
Girls who say 'mate'...*shudders*

You haven't been to Manchester much then...

Edit: I'm doing linguistics so if you want a proper conversation about dialects with relation to region, class, gender and contemporary society then feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to hear why one word on an internet forum makes you shudder, but tbh it's 3AM and I'm not in the best of moods so if you want to make one sly dig at someone's way of speaking then you can keep it to yourself next time, really.
ormaybeitsjustnarcissism
You haven't been to Manchester much then...

Lol no, I've only ever been to Rochdale and that was just once. I'm a Londoner, so for me, girls calling me 'mate' just feels a bit cringe. Didn't mean any offense though :p:
Ewan
I guess the stereotypes about media studies students is true? :facepalm:

That's exactly what I was thinking! :teehee:
Reply 29
Yes it's a standard procedure to ring you at 1AM and to make an £80 charge. The fee must be paid. However if you send me your account number and sort code then we won't have to take the charges out, honest. :smile:
Reply 30
Got pranked.
No one is legally allowed to call you after 8pm to talk about financial matters. E.g. BT won't call you up to offer their services etc after 8pm...
Ignore it
jumpingjesusholycow
Lol no, I've only ever been to Rochdale and that was just once. I'm a Londoner, so for me, girls calling me 'mate' just feels a bit cringe. Didn't mean any offense though :p:

I know but if you heard me speak it I'm sure it wouldn't be bad enough to raise a shudder...

I'm sure you didn't mean any offence but I'm living in London for Uni and tbh I've had about enough of the jokes and impressions and criticisms, so excuse the arsey reply but it's hard to go from being 'the posh one' at home to 'the common one' here, and I really didn't expect it over the internet as well :p:

Hmm, I live near Rochdale, can't imagine why you went really, but I bet it won't happen again :p: Charming area.
1am.......come on.
ormaybeitsjustnarcissism
I know but if you heard me speak it I'm sure it wouldn't be bad enough to raise a shudder...

I'm sure you didn't mean any offence but I'm living in London for Uni and tbh I've had about enough of the jokes and impressions and criticisms, so excuse the arsey reply but it's hard to go from being 'the posh one' at home to 'the common one' here, and I really didn't expect it over the internet as well :p:

Hmm, I live near Rochdale, can't imagine why you went really, but I bet it won't happen again :p: Charming area.

hahaha, Manchester seems to be a few social legues below London from the perspective of the average Londoner (as stupid and idiotic as that is). Everyone from the north gets ripped at my uni it's okay :P I can imagine if I went up to Manchester, people would expect me to wear a tophat and monacle.

Maybe I'm just really good at reading people :biggrin::

It was er....interesting to say the least. Lol, I've got a friend up there. Suffice to say, she's going to be the one visiting me next time lol.
Reply 34
You were called at 1 AM on a saturday morning. HELLO?!

You should have replied with: "STFU AND **** YOU. IF THERE IS A FINE, GIVE TO ME IN WRITING AT THE ADDRESS IN MY FILE."
Reply 35
Are you sure it wasn't a dream?
Reply 36
I think fraudsters are targeting media students because they assume they are not very bright and don't attend lectures so it must work quite often to make it worth their while.
Reply 37
Why are people so gullible?

£80???

1am call???

Rofl... The only thing you should be fined for is creating this thread.

/thread
A prank call, no doubt. :s-smilie:
I like this prank. It should be fairly obvious to most people that it's a prank... the timing, the contents of the call... yet at the same time it's a fairly amusing prank.
Having said that if you were asleep at 1 am I can imagine it being fairly irritating.

Latest

Trending

Trending