The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

LOL, if I had pranked you and then read this, I would be in hysterics for hours.
carrotboy
Got pranked.
No one is legally allowed to call you after 8pm to talk about financial matters. E.g. BT won't call you up to offer their services etc after 8pm...
Ignore it

No one is legally allowed to call you after 8pm to talk about financial matters.

Rubbish. Where did you study law?
carrotboy
Got pranked.
No one is legally allowed to call you after 8pm to talk about financial matters. E.g. BT won't call you up to offer their services etc after 8pm...
Ignore it

That's wrong. I used to work in a call centre, and we worked until 10pm selling loans, which I'm fairly sure counts as 'financial matters'.
Reply 43
Actually on a serious note, my ex got a letter fining him for missing a couple of seminars (he was at Cambridge). I think he refused to pay in the end, though.

However, in reality, the university is NOT going to call you at 1am to discuss a fine which must be paid by monday. They would send you an official letter about it if there was any fine.

OP, do you have the number they called on? I'd give it a call back (under some other excuse - don't say who you are) and see who answers, if I were you.
have you looked up gullible in the dictionary?
They didn't ask for your bank details by any chance? :beard:
Reply 46
Megerr
Since when do we have to pay for missed lectures?
I went to all my other lectures this week except a media studies one on thursday because its my extra credit module and I have had flu all week so I just couldnt be bothered..

Is this for real? I am not paying £80 I already pay three grand as it is!

It's clearly a prank. What normal person would call at 1am?! Be sensible.
Reply 47
Svenjamin
That doesn't make much sense at all. You've paid for the services of the lecturer through your fees so why should you have to pay for a missed lecture?

Was it definitely an official request? Sounds like a prank :s-smilie:

I think this sounds correct.
Reply 48
i got a letter from my uni saying I owe £80 too.

did you retake any exams in the summer or anything like that
Reply 49
This is hilarious. I mean, honestly, just think about what you've posted.

Either this furthers the assumption about media studies students, or I smell troll.
jumpingjesusholycow
Girls who say 'mate'...*shudders*

What is wrong with saying mate? :|
Peachesishere
What is wrong with saying mate? :|

There's nothing wrong with it. It just personally makes me cringe a bit lol.

It just feels a bit weird.
Reply 52
jumpingjesusholycow
There's nothing wrong with it. It just personally makes me cringe a bit lol.

It just feels a bit weird.

I second that
jumpingjesusholycow
I'm a Londoner, so for me, girls calling me 'mate' just feels a bit cringe.

Whereabouts in London are you from? I've lost my accent since I moved out ten years ago, but everyone, regardless of gender, said 'mate' where I lived, and it's something that stuck with me. I get off the bus and say, "Cheers, mate" - I did it yesterday!
My university would be ******* loaded if it charged £80 for missing a lecture :rofl:
Reply 55
Megerr
I went to all my other lectures this week except a media studies one on thursday because its my extra credit module and I have had flu all week so I just couldnt be bothered..

Swansea only demands a payment by post on official letterheaded paper. Like when they charged me £20 for a cleaning bill despite me cleaning my room before leaving at the end of the first year :mad: lol

Also I have a flatmate in media, and I can safely say that they really don't seem to care about attendance in media, she's missed loads and never had even a complaint :p:
TheSownRose
Whereabouts in London are you from? I've lost my accent since I moved out ten years ago, but everyone, regardless of gender, said 'mate' where I lived, and it's something that stuck with me. I get off the bus and say, "Cheers, mate" - I did it yesterday!

Lol if everyone's about 14, maybe.

I'm in Bromley which is South East London. It's just really cringey when a girl says it. It's like if I said 'cheers babes' as I got off the bus. There's nothing wrong with it, but people would shudder a bit :p:
Reply 57
Megerr

pwned!
Reply 58
Why would anybody official such as uni reps ring you at 1am? Sounds like a definite prank :p:
jumpingjesusholycow
Lol if everyone's about 14, maybe.

I'm in Bromley which is South East London. It's just really cringey when a girl says it. It's like if I said 'cheers babes' as I got off the bus. There's nothing wrong with it, but people would shudder a bit :p:

Oh dear, south of the Thames. :wink:

I come from Walthamstow, and really, everyone said it regardless of age as well. Never once heard 'babes' either...

Latest

Trending

Trending