Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Missed a lecture - woman rang at 1am to tell me I have to pay £80 by monday? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Lol no, I've only ever been to Rochdale and that was just once. I'm a Londoner, so for me, girls calling me 'mate' just feels a bit cringe. Didn't mean any offense though :p:
    Oh God why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotboy)
    Got pranked.
    No one is legally allowed to call you after 8pm to talk about financial matters. E.g. BT won't call you up to offer their services etc after 8pm...
    Ignore it
    I got a call at 8.45pm from a debt collection place who had been calling me every hour since 9am.

But then again you can't really call those guys legal can you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Oh dear, south of the Thames.

I come from Walthamstow, and really, everyone said it regardless of age as well. Never once heard 'babes' either...
    I wouldn't say it's a masculine thing to do, but I certainly perceive it as a slightly 'male orientated' saying lol. I dunno, that's just me. And it's only the northern londoners that make a big deal of the river divide

north dude: 'I'M NORTH OF THE RIVER! WE'RE BETTER!'
    south dude: 'sorry, what? I'm a bit busy...'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princesschickenbelly)
    Oh God why?
    Don't worry, I won't be going back any time soon.

Just the once was good enough, believe me :|

ReputationRep:
    Find out who it is. Then get them fired or burn their house down. The choice is yours.

ReputationRep:
    Prank, don't pay it.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it's a masculine thing to do, but I certainly perceive it as a slightly 'male orientated' saying lol. I dunno, that's just me. And it's only the northern londoners that make a big deal of the river divide

north dude: 'I'M NORTH OF THE RIVER! WE'RE BETTER!'
    south dude: 'sorry, what? I'm a bit busy...'
    That's because the south are on the wrong side of it. :p:

It's just going to be one of those words that different areas use ... differently. Certainly when I lived there, it wasn't a particularly masculine thing to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    That's because the south are on the wrong side of it. :p:

It's just going to be one of those words that different areas use ... differently. Certainly when I lived there, it wasn't a particularly masculine thing to say.
    I never said masculine, I said male orientated :P It just makes me shudder when girls say mate. though it's perfectly fine for them to do so lol

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I won't be going back any time soon.

Just the once was good enough, believe me :|
    Oh I believe you.

I grew up in a tiny little town close by and the only reason I'm ever there is when I get off the train to visit the family that have not managed to escape yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princesschickenbelly)
    Oh I believe you.

I grew up in a tiny little town close by and the only reason I'm ever there is when I get off the train to visit the family that have not managed to escape yet.

It wasn't the loveliest of areas. I hope my friend gets out soon too. Though the council should really be working to fix that area up :/

(Original post by Megerr)
    Since when do we have to pay for missed lectures?
    I went to all my other lectures this week except a media studies one on thursday because its my extra credit module and I have had flu all week so I just couldnt be bothered..

Is this for real? I am not paying £80 I already pay three grand as it is!
    Are you sure it wasn't your mum or her friend trying to trick you so you won't miss anymore lectures

ReputationRep:
    Swansea! I haven't got a clue what I'm supposed to with this information? If it was an official call she didn't do a very good job!
    You study at swansea?? way!!!!! i live there, gotta admit, swanseas a nice place.......... my secondary school was bishop gore. Yours>?

Errr OP . . .do you really think someone is going to ring @ 1am in the morning claiming to the someone official demanding £80? I think not!!

Go into uni on Monday or ring if you can't get in and have it checked out!

ReputationRep:
    It definitely sounds like a prank!

1. 1am?! Who'd call at 1am?
    2. £80 fine...for not attending one lecture?!
    3. Is there a way to check caller ID?

ReputationRep:
    Awh I have laughed so much reading all these replies!
    1. I am not a media student, only taking 1 media module to fill up my credits, but thankyou for all the lovely stereotype comments
    2. I posted this thread because I doubted the phone call, if I was convinced that it was a real call I wouldn't have asked about it
    3. I went into uni and asked some of my friends about it and two of them had the phone call too, it turns out it was the department trying to get attendances up
    4. They can tell if you attended lectures because they take registers - duh.

Anyway, thanks for the entertaining messages, I'm not sure I'll be so quick to ask for advice in the future though as you're all obviously too clever and judgemental to consider being helpful!
    To anyone who did answer without any sarcasm, Thanks! You're lovely people x

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should do your Masters in "Common Sense Studies"

ReputationRep:
    Ha ha.. ha ha.. Ha.. no seriously, you are SO funny

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, talk to your lecturer. I'm sure if it was official, they would not call you at 1 am. And you're already paying a BOMB for university, and your not requred to attend all lectures.

ReputationRep:
    Swansea! I haven't got a clue what I'm supposed to with this information? If it was an official call she didn't do a very good job!
    You have to love Swansea's phone network.....

I've had 2 or 3 pranks on it myself, and yeah, they happen at stupid o'clock in the morning too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.