Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Political views ruining our relationship Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've always been a Labour supporter but like alot of people am now just fed up with politics altogether. After seeing Gordon Brown on the news, I got talking with my girlfriend about politics and was shocked by her views. She basically said that all politicians are useless and the BNP is the only hope left for this country. She's against mixed-race relationships, immigration, homosexuality and thinks Muslims are all terrorists. I'm much more liberal and I've tried to ignore this but it comes up in my mind quite often. Is it best to forget it, apart from her political views, I like everything else about her:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shirley7)
    I've always been a Labour supporter but like alot of people am now just fed up with politics altogether. After seeing Gordon Brown on the news, I got talking with my girlfriend about politics and was shocked by her views. She basically said that all politicians are useless and the BNP is the only hope left for this country. She's against mixed-race relationships, immigration, homosexuality and thinks Muslims are all terrorists. I'm much more liberal and I've tried to ignore this but it comes up in my mind quite often. Is it best to forget it, apart from her political views, I like everything else about her:confused:
    Meh she will get over this period for now crawl around with her xD.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't be with someone like that personally....especially since my Parents are muslims and they came from Bangladsh in the 1970s xD (I'm Agnostic).

I'd be absolutely digusted if I found out my girlfriend had intollerant views like that and tbh....I'd probably break up with the ***** on the spot and walk away. But then, your relationship is your business.

EDIT. Apparently this makes me a mysoginist racist? (was negged). I didn't say anything REMOTELY racist. I outlined why someone who had intollerant views would be incompatible with me (skin colour and parents religion). As for misogyny, I said *****, but then, I didn't say it because I 'hate women'. I'm not going to stop using naughty words to protect someone's 'fragile mind' lol.

Just to let you know, my girlfriend is a white, christian and I'm a Liberal Democrat so....find the racist mysogyny in that.

ReputationRep:
    teenagers with such extreme views will naturally have lived a pitiful life.

take advantage of her and throw her away, she'll only cause trouble.

ReputationRep:
    I'd end it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Srai)
    teenagers with such extreme views will naturally have lived a pitiful life.

take advantage of her and throw her away, she'll only cause trouble.
    this!

ReputationRep:
    I would end it more or less immediately, unless she quickly changed her views on questioning. That's pretty awful really.

:unsure: How did you not realise this before?

ReputationRep:
    Show her why she is wrong. make her explain her views in detail and she will be left feeling stupid or repeating baseless crap she has heard elsewhere. If the latter dump her and find someone who isn't an idiot.

P.S. or tell her your really mixed race and if she is that against mixed race realtionships she should end it.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend and I have VERY different views (I am very left wing, he is more conservative) and it doesn't affect our relationship too much, but your gf sounds EXTREME. Perhaps try and explain to her why her views are so skewed?

ReputationRep:
    you should both grow up and not fight about different oppinions. To fall out with someone that you love over political reasons is totally foolish in my oppinion. My girlfriend and I disagree on a lot of points (both political and religious) but never argue or fall out over them (sure debate sometimes, but never reaches an arguement).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dream Weaver)
    you should both grow up and not fight about different oppinions. To fall out with someone that you love over political reasons is totally foolish in my oppinion.
    tbf., this is more than just 'political views' he's talking about; his girlfriend is blatantly racist and homophobic, I don't know if I could be in that sort of relationship either.

OP: why not challenge these views? Not in a 'you're wrong' way, but in a 'do you have any stats to back that up?' or 'I've got an interesting article here on immigration' type way. Don't force her to change right now, but just suggest some counter arguments, or show her some stats to challenge what she thinks. Ask her why she's against homosexuality, and challenge that (if you need any help, there are tonnes of threads about it all over the place here! :p: )

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    you should both grow up and not fight about different oppinions. To fall out with someone that you love over political reasons is totally foolish in my oppinion. My girlfriend and I disagree on a lot of points (both political and religious) but never argue or fall out over them (sure debate sometimes, but never reaches an arguement).
    Oh come on. Do you really have so few standards that you would date someone whose opinions you find abhorrent?

It's not 'foolish' to want to share your life with someone whose views you can respect. Homophobia and racism are not respectable views.

ReputationRep:
    the gf is a stupid racist. **** you

ReputationRep:
    Does she not realise how pitiful and dangerous the BNP are?

She should also get out in the real world.

If you two have lasted this long and you've been okay, then what's the big problem? So long as you're not continually arguing about this, then I fail to see how it's "ruining" your relationship at all. People disagree with each other, get over it. If you only have relationships with people who believe the same things as you, I think you'll be looking for your next girlfriend for quite some time.

ReputationRep:
    Your girl sounds like a ***** dude.

ReputationRep:
    Try and show her why shes wrong best you can , sometimes when people are brought up with those views its hard for them to change.
    Personally i dont think i could carry on in a relationship with a guy with views as strong as that. It'd be such a big part of their personality that would disgust me.

ReputationRep:
    take a squitsy on her jebbend

ReputationRep:
    ha! how did you manage to go out with a neo-nazi without even realizing it?!?! i'm guessing she shaves her mustache and takes her swastika badge off, but still!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 13, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.